Overlanding a 1500 Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71FatFish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Turbo EcoDiesel
Does anyone have any experience building an overlander out of the 1500 Rebel? If you wouldn't do the Rebel why? I'm thinking hard about it and I think I'll be picking the EcoDiesel. Why is that a good pick, if it's not why pick the Hemi over it? I'm also interested in any parts recommendations, by brand/model, or function. Thanks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First I want to qualify my answer by saying that although I've done some reading about it, I have no first-hand overland experience.

I don't see any reason why the Rebel couldn't be a good candidate for this. But it depends on the modifications you plan to make on whichever vehicle you choose. Depending on the build you're planning, I might choose something cheaper like a Tradesman or base Big Horn, if you'll be replacing suspension parts anyway. There's no reason to spend more on the Rebel for upgraded off-road parts, only to replace those parts. If you're not planning to replace many parts then the Rebel would be a better choice. Although the Rebel isn't priced much below the Power Wagon. And it's already quite capable in stock form.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I do some overlanding. I have a GMC single cab with a 6 foot 4 bed and my 2019 Laramie with air suspension and off road package with the same length bed. I have a tent bed setup that I can switch to either pickup depending on how tough the trails are. The single cab is more manuverable than my crewcab Ram so it goes on the tougher trails. The Ram is great because it self levels the bed when I park. I looked at the rooftop tents and decided I did not want the extra expense and top foot print of them. I went with a Kodiak canvas truck tent. I made bed platform that will fit either bed with large slide out tray for storage. Your Rebel would be fine for overlanding. All I have are pictures of the Kodiak on the GMC but it fits the same on the Ram. I can set this tent up in about 15 minutes now.IMG_4380 (1).JPG IMG_4436 (1).JPG IMG_4375.JPG

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am a huge fan of the Kodiak tent. I had one that I used on my '01 and '14 trucks.
I just don't do the outdoors stuff anymore as it's all too far from where I live.

They are far better insulated than the traditional tent material types, I went through a couple good thunderstorms in the Jemez mountains without a drop on me.

Back to the OP, I think the Diesel would be a wise choice in a lot of ways, I'd assume it gets really good mileage doing low speed activities.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
No overlanding experience in the states but in Australia and Africa diesel is a must. Simply put, diesel is more prevalent than gasoline.

If I were to build an international overland vehicle, I’d opt for a diesel variant for the fuel availability, engine longevity and low end torque.

This would not be a trail queen.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You can get a 2500 CC tradesman with the power wagon package for less than an actual power wagon. But that would be a bigger truck with a thirstier engine than the ecoD.

Edit: Power wagon on the build an price site had some decent deals that the tradesman doesn’t making it cheaper to buy an actual power wagon than Tradesman with PW package. Of course, I’ve yet to see a Powerwagon that wasn’t loaded to the **** with other options...

Last edited:

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The diesel engine with the 33-gal fuel tank will provide the most range for your truck without resorting to carrying a lot of jerry cans of gasoline. The suspension is not all that important but the payload capacity is very important.

I would be looking at a 2500 truck with a higher payload capacity and more support from the tires. Leaf springs are easier to alter to get the payload and load support needed. Also I would be shopping for dual shock mount kits and seeing what is available.

Suggest putting together your build list and estimated weights for everything, including food and water, second spare wheel and tire, winch, and emergency gear. It all adds up quickly and passengers are also part of the load.

With a 1500 truck I would be giving serious consideration to one of the off-road camping trailers. The trailer takes a considerable amount of the load out of the bed.

https://www.thewaywardhome.com/off-road-camper/

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does anyone have any experience building an overlander out of the 1500 Rebel? If you wouldn't do the Rebel why? I'm thinking hard about it and I think I'll be picking the EcoDiesel. Why is that a good pick, if it's not why pick the Hemi over it? I'm also interested in any parts recommendations, by brand/model, or function. Thanks.

I think you need to consider your use case first - you expecting to go for 300+ miles off road and with limited fuel availability? Trailering, slide-in camper, shell? What sorts of extra weight?

If payload and distance per tank are concerns, the PW starts to fall out of the equation pretty quick. As someone already stated above, the eco diesel will likely give you your most distance per tank, but payload will likely suffer (disclosure, I didn't research eco diesel payloads). Are the trails you're looking to get on tight/have tons of switch backs? 2500/3500s may fall out of the equation then.

I have a PW because payload isn't a concern for me and I've got a couple of 20L jerry cans to hold me over for fuel (in)efficiency reasons. It's also my daily and my commute is like 4 miles with no highway (not good for modern diesels). If I was doing serious long distance overlanding, I'd have a 3500 diesel and build it out appropriately; but that's likely overkill for most.

OA

Edit: the eco diesel is a 20lb payload hit over the 5.7 hemi- that's a no brainer to go ecodiesel there (1720 vs. 1740lbs). My power wagon payload is 1420lbs. A diesel 3500 is in the high 3k range.

Last edited:

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Overlanding is why I have my Jeep. My wife has a loaded Rebel with the air suspension and I would not even consider running it around Death Valley and the Mojave without adding 35" tires on 18" rims and AEV's 4" lift to start, then a rear bumper that would protect the panels aft of the rear tires would be a must, with a pair of rock rails. It's a big truck, tight rocky trails are very hard on IFS. The power wagon would be a better starting platform.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Overlanding is why I have my Jeep. My wife has a loaded Rebel with the air suspension and I would not even consider running it around Death Valley and the Mojave without adding 35" tires on 18" rims and AEV's 4" lift to start, then a rear bumper that would protect the panels aft of the rear tires would be a must, with a pair of rock rails. It's a big truck, tight rocky trails are very hard on IFS. The power wagon would be a better starting platform.
I run a ton of AEV parts on my truck. I would never use their lift.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run a ton of AEV parts on my truck. I would never use their lift.

I was considering lifting my Ram for a while. No one has done a better job of engineering in the Ram's air system than AEV. Since it's IFS, their integrated skid plate is going to see a lot of hits. Of the lift kits I looked at, theirs was the best engineered. In the end though, I kept coming back to wanting a 3/4 or 1-ton. I'm keeping my eye out for a good used lease return PW, something I could put a tray bed on and trade my Ram and Jeep for.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would not consider overlanding a crewcab length pickup of any kind except for mild trails. Most of the trails I like on are tight roads with lots of switchbacks and narrow between trees. Luckily I can choose between my 2001 built Cherokee, 2012 short be single cab or my Ram for the tamer trails. Many different kinds of overlanding and each person has their likes.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I would not consider overlanding a crewcab length pickup of any kind except for mild trails. Most of the trails I like on are tight roads with lots of switchbacks and narrow between trees. Luckily I can choose between my 2001 built Cherokee, 2012 short be single cab or my Ram for the tamer trails. Many different kinds of overlanding and each person has their likes.

You wouldn’t and that’s fine. Tell these guys they’re barking up the wrong tree - https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/prospector-xl-2020/.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
An AEV Prospector XL is my dream truck...but I'll be going with a 6'4" bed Laramie 6.7 Cummins in 2022 or 2023 (after they introduce the new 8 or 9 speed HD transmission.

I'll be putting a 4 Wheel Camper Hawk model on it and doing some overlanding. I will be upgrading the tires (probably 35's) and rock sliders and a few other things.

I may be adding a few AEV parts, snorkle, front bumper with winch...maybe a few other parts.

I won't be doing any major heavy trails. I just want a rig that can get back into areas that many others can't get to with their 5th wheel or travel trailers. I want to be
off grid for a week at a time here and there.

Can't wait until retirement!

Snacktime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Name the places you want to go? List how much gear you need/want?

I did a week long trip in our F150 supercrew, through logging roads and sand up the Oregon Coast. No issues with a leveling kit and narrow 34s. Ran the same trip 5 years ago in my regular cab ram 1500. Hardest part was leaving my favorite chairs at home to fit everything under the tonneau cover on a 5ft bed as the dogs had the back seat.

I have had a couple of Rock Crawlers and camped some pretty awesome places. Currently avoid the jeep trails and still camp in some pretty awesome places. Just understand how much room is lost to tools/recovery gear when you jump to a jeep trail.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I do like the prospector and it’s off-road capabilities, but wouldn’t want the Cummins engine. The extra 800 pounds up front makes for an unbalanced off-roader.

Over-landing and camping it’s great.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
If your overall load won't increase much, and won't put on any tires bigger than 34", but 6cyl engine is by far the most reliable with 3.92 gears. Diesel really is designed for lots of highway and/or towing. Its not made for city driving nor tooling around at low rpms rock crawling. Engine will soot up bigtime. Hemi's have their own problems too.