Overwhelmed with oil choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run Redline 530 just as a pre caution. Cost me about 100 or less with filter, But I do 8-9k intervals and only drive like 10k a year. There is an import car shop like a mile away that sells everything Redline so I just get it there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla, I see you suggested sticking with PUP or whatever you are using if you don't have hemi tick. What if you don't have that, but do have the occasional startup clatter that goes away in seconds (and isn't manifold bolts)? It's either piston slap or lifters just needing that oil pressure they don't have sometimes at first turn. Using PUP now, just not sure it's worth changing things up since it's buttery smooth after the occasional startup sound.

Piston Slap is exclusively a cold engine phenomena, if you have start up clatter on a warm engine, or when it is warm outside, either can be hemi tick, and hemi tick has two main causes one bolts and one lifters. Piston slap, not a lot can be done, mild success from staying with thin oil or additive mos2 specifically. As for hemi tick, I can't check those bolts from here, you have to get down there and see of all of them are tight and haven't broken.

You can dump lube guard biotech 15 ounces to that PUP and see if it helps. All the paper out there suggest optimum moly level at 200ppm moly, now PUP uses a different moly, but still might be a good idea to dump oil soluble moly treatment in there to see of start up chatter lessons. If it doesn't lesson at all, maybe take a hard look at bolts.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
CMV157. Great factual and helpful information on this subject. I can share with you how I got my 2018 2500 6.4 to stop its morning first start clatter. Keep in mind, each of these engines are a bit different. 5 PUP 0-40. 1 PUP 5-30. 1 32 oz Lubriderm. Come summer, I may need to change the ratio to 4-2-1 of the same. Fitz

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
image.jpg
Good morning ! sooo i've spent the last couple hours going through forum pages looking at what kind of oil to get for my truck (2015 ram 1500 5.7 hemi SLT) and i am overwhelmed at what kind of oil to get , ive decided to go with royal purple 20-820 oil filter but lost on what kind of oil to get , is Pennzoil ultra platinum the way to go or redline , etc. any input would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank you !
When I bought my vette they wanted mobil 1 but after looking at tests on oil and filters I decided on amsoil,it’s used in my 19 ram-14 glk 250 2.1 diesel-11 Audi A3 2.0 and my Z06 dry sump LS7 as well as my standby B&S vangaurd engine but to be safe against cold starts I do use Archoil 9100 1.2oz per qt.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Good morning ! sooo i've spent the last couple hours going through forum pages looking at what kind of oil to get for my truck (2015 ram 1500 5.7 hemi SLT) and i am overwhelmed at what kind of oil to get , ive decided to go with royal purple 20-820 oil filter but lost on what kind of oil to get , is Pennzoil ultra platinum the way to go or redline , etc. any input would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank you !
use amsoil for years best ever for me ! I do change early 2,500 cuz of the bad lifters in the hemi ! so far a fuel injector and new exhaust they replace still going 59,500 on it .

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Oh God! Now what to do?? The Redline talk is all about the Hemi tick. Does Quaker State also reduce or eliminate this? The tick is a result of metal-to-metal, right? It wasn't good in my '66 Fairlane or my '55 T-bird, so why shouldn't this tick issue trump (no, not that Trump!) all other considerations?
rp filter and amsoil feel the best u join them order it comes to ur door sweet !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
CMV157. Great factual and helpful information on this subject. I can share with you how I got my 2018 2500 6.4 to stop its morning first start clatter. Keep in mind, each of these engines are a bit different. 5 PUP 0-40. 1 PUP 5-30. 1 32 oz Lubriderm. Come summer, I may need to change the ratio to 4-2-1 of the same. Fitz

lubegard?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oh God! Now what to do?? The Redline talk is all about the Hemi tick. Does Quaker State also reduce or eliminate this? The tick is a result of metal-to-metal, right? It wasn't good in my '66 Fairlane or my '55 T-bird, so why shouldn't this tick issue trump (no, not that Trump!) all other considerations?

Welcome to the forum, I encourage you to read the redline thread in my sig and see the results. 90% of people that use redline get tick relief, 60% completely get rid of their tick. So there are many reasons why this is, this oil's "formula" is super high moly, ester based, and pao base oils, not to mention high zinc and other helpful things. So moly plates friction points, that is what most oil companies including qsud use for dry starts. Esters are dense and polar, so this is micro lubrication and polarity that also survives heat better then other base oils, so helps lubricate these tick spots. Then add pao base oil, which is branched chain lubrication that also helps this and remains more stable then group 3 oils.

The oil you suggest has one of the features I just informed you about, high moly. So there is a chance it would help tick, so why not try? if it doesn't work, give redline a try, clearly it kills ticks that most oils don't, that is why the trucks were ticking before someone tried redline. Lubegard biotech is also worth a shot, we call it poor man's redline, it to is ester based and high oil soluble moly, so if qsud didn't kill the tick, try poor man's redline lubegard biotech and just maybe the tick will die.

Octane

Reaction score
I use Havoline 5/30 pro ds synthetic from the "earth friendlier" 6 qt cardboard box and a mopar 899 filter,(also in a cardboard box). My truck and myself are happy. Lol

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Do you have a warm idle tick in your hemi? I did not, which is why I dont spend the money on Redline. Theres lots of noise our engines can make other than hemi tick and QSUD is great at keeping the Hemi quiet.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I run PUP 5W-20 and a Fram Ultraguard based off recommendations here. I was in the same boat as the OP when starting to do my own oil changes after the free dealer ones.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just pick a decent oil and be done with it. Anything will be better than conventional Penzoil. Also, I think the reason they stopped using Mobile 1 is because of administrative issues not quality issues.

Just pick an oil and sleep well

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
AutoZone is running a sale on Pennzoil synthetic at the moment. 5 qt with a free STP gold filter and a $15 mail-in rebate for $34 before rebate.

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
No need for analysis paralysis. Let me condense the thousands of pages about oil choice on this site.

Any decent synthetic is fine. You're welcome.

OP
OP
Rob McClure

Rob McClure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi v8
Thanks everyone for the advise , I think I’m gonna go with the PUP 5w20 and a amsoil filter , would any of you have the correct filter number ? Also if the amsoil filter isn’t needed what about the wixXP filter ? Or if the PUP is not good what do y’all recommend ,

2015 ram 1500 5.7 HEMI

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks everyone for the advise , I think I’m gonna go with the PUP 5w20 and a amsoil filter , would any of you have the correct filter number ? Also if the amsoil filter isn’t needed what about the wixXP filter ? Or if the PUP is not good what do y’all recommend ,

2015 ram 1500 5.7 HEMI

I’m no expert so take it for what it’s worth. But the dealer oil filter is probably a very safe bet. I assume they would make sure to have decent oil filters as mass issues with oil filter causing issues would be very bad for them. Plus, I do t think they’re that expensive [emoji2369]

60% of the time it works every time....

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the maintenance package from the dealer I bought with the RAM. Does anyone know what oil / filters the dealerships use?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the maintenance package from the dealer I bought with the RAM. Does anyone know what oil / filters the dealerships use?
Depending upon whether you bought a synthetic or regular oil change package you're most likely going to get PYB (Pennzoil yellow bottle) which is conventional or PP (Pennzoil Platinum) which is synthetic and a Mopar oil filter.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

2015 ram 1500 5.7 HEMI

15EAK50

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40