Owner's Manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I almost hate to open this can of worms, but I am at least somewhat miffed. We took delivery of a new Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab the end of July and so far love it! With that said, I did download the owner's manual to my computer and have used it quite a bit. However, there comes those times when I want or need to look up something in the owner's manual when I don't have access my computer - like when I'm not home!!!!!!! :mad3:

So I call what I think is the correct # to get a paper copy of the owner's manual. The number I reached told me that I could order one but the cost was $37 plus shipping. I said that after spending over $50,000.00 for a truck, I shouldn't have to pay extra for an owner's manual. The gentleman then transferred me to another FCA # where they could help me get a complimentary owner's manual. After being on hold for almost 30 minutes, a very nice young lady said she could help. However, when she looked up my VIN she said they didn't have any. She thought that strange, so she said she'd check with a supervisor. After being on hold again for almost 10 minutes, she came back on and said that because it was a new vehicle, FCA didn't have any. She said the supervisor said that I could get a complimentary manual from my selling dealership. When I called the dealership's parts department, I was told that they we readily available from FCA but it would cost me $27 plus $14 shipping! This seems totally unreasonable to charge for the owner's manual. Again, we spent over $50,000.00 for a highly technical motor vehicle and now I'm being told that we have to spend more money for a "hard" copy of the owner's manual.

I did send a followup email to Mopar.com and am still waiting to get a response. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has encounter a similar situation? Just seems strange that at the end of the model year they are telling me that they don't have any owner's manuals because the vehicle is "too new!" This is driving me...:crazy:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
First CONGRATS on your new truck !
Second It did not come with the owners manual :O Now that sucks! I can not believe they went so cheap as not to supply one with the new RAM , I am sure at50k$ they could spare it! That is IMO uncalled for! And for your dealer wanting to charge you for it WOW!!! I would talk with the Manager or owner if you can! I have the hard copy that cam with my 2015 as well as downloaded,Like you said sometime looking through the hard copy is better at the time! Post up what happens curiosity wants me to here the end of the story lol Good luck

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
First CONGRATS on your new truck !
Second It did not come with the owners manual :O Now that sucks! I can not believe they went so cheap as not to supply one with the new RAM , I am sure at50k$ they could spare it! That is IMO uncalled for! And for your dealer wanting to charge you for it WOW!!! I would talk with the Manager or owner if you can! I have the hard copy that cam with my 2015 as well as downloaded,Like you said sometime looking through the hard copy is better at the time! Post up what happens curiosity wants me to here the end of the story lol Good luck

I will keep you posted. I see you have a 3.6 too. So far I am not disappointed at all. We've put about 1200 miles on and am averaging 20.2mpg with over 50% city driving.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know that you shouldn't have to do this, but can you print it off your computer if you downloaded it? Maybe Ram Cares can help you with getting a hard copy. I agree, this sounds crazy
Jay

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WTF, I'd be raising some hell about that. I've never bought a new vehicle and didn't get an owner's manual. The last couple have had the paper manual and DVD. The owners manual that came with mine covers all configurations of the 1500 and 2500 no matter what engine, so it's not like you need a special one for you're 3.6.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know that you shouldn't have to do this, but can you print it off your computer if you downloaded it? Maybe Ram Cares can help you with getting a hard copy. I agree, this sounds crazy
Jay

I appreciate the suggestion, but my "lowly" printer would probably crap out before the 718 pages were printed, and that doesn't take into account at least two printer cartridges at $30+ to print that many pages! I think I'll wait to either hear from Mopar.com or hope that RAM CARES jumps in. Hint, hint!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 Ram came with a nice printed owners manual when I took delivery of the truck, along with a CD of the manual, uconnect info, all kinda stuff all in a nice folder/binder. You should have went to your salesman not the parts department

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 2017 Ram came with a nice printed owners manual when I took delivery of the truck, along with a CD of the manual, uconnect info, all kinda stuff all in a nice folder/binder. You should have went to your salesman not the parts department

My truck also came with a very nice prepackaged handbook, U-Connect info, warranty info, binder, and CD. The handbook is not the complete owner's manual. The owner's manual is 718 pages and I'd guess the U-Connect manual is a couple hundred pages to boot. The dealership should not have to supply what FCA should include with the truck. I understand why they don't include a full set with each vehicle as most people don't ever open their manuals. However, for those of us that do, I believe they should and can afford us the courtesy. Just my $.02.

skillywee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my Limited in May, I got the CD. Attempted to get it to load on my PC, but would not load. Called RAM and they told me back in May that instead of sending another CD they would send me a paper manual and a couple of others manuals. They did and I do have the paper manual. CD never did work.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I will keep you posted. I see you have a 3.6 too. So far I am not disappointed at all. We've put about 1200 miles on and am averaging 20.2mpg with over 50% city driving.
I am also not disappointed with mt V6. I avg, 21.4 mpg my best 23,8 at 75 MPH on a trip to Ct. Those are hand calculated ! Performance is IMO good enough for me :) My tire burning days are over lol..... So far really loving me RAM :)
I see your in Wisconsin , My mother was from Milwaukee and I spent alot of summer there and in Ft. Atkinson ,plus a few other areas where family is.

Last edited:

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2018, and it came with a paper manual.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
never seen a 718 page owners manual before, be its hell squeezing that in the glovebox LOL

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
never seen a 718 page owners manual before, be its hell squeezing that in the glovebox LOL

The downloaded version is 718 pages. The owner's manual for our 2011 Town & Country is 600+ pages. The handbook that came with my truck is like a "Cliff's Notes" version.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have bought many new vehicles, none came with a 600 page owners manual. Maybe your thinking of buying a service repair manual?

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have bought many new vehicles, none came with a 600 page owners manual. Maybe your thinking of buying a service repair manual?

I just went into my office and dug out the owner's manuals for both my old 2012 Ram and our 2011 Town & Country. The T&C owner's manual has 568 pages along with a U-Connect booklet(over 100 pages) and a media booklet covering the 730R system(198 pages). The Ram owner's manual has 728 pages. What they send with a new vehicle is an abbreviated "slick" handbook. They also send a DVD with info, but in both cases the DVD didn't work! :-( Most people do not even unwrap what they send, but they do produce full owner's manuals and in the past all you had to do was call FCA to request one and they would send it out free of charge. When I requested the owner's manual for my 2012 Ram, I had to supply a VIN. When my son bought a used 2010 Ram three years ago, he called and they sent one to him.

I know the difference between an owner's manual and a service manual. When I was working full time years ago and had access to volume printing, I actually found a source for the service manual for my GT Cruiser. It took over an hour for it to download and print over 1500 pages!

All I want is the owner's manual for my new Ram! I knew I was opening a can of worms, but "right is right" and I have seen and heard others say they actually got an owner's manual. RAM CARES? Are you listening?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me get this straight--you spend about 50k on a truck and now you want an owners manual so you know how everything works----kinda demanding ain't ya????? :happy107:
Jay

I'm being a little sarcastic if anyone takes my comments seriously-----

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Let me get this straight--you spend about 50k on a truck and now you want an owners manual so you know how everything works----kinda demanding ain't ya????? :happy107:
Jay

I'm being a little sarcastic if anyone takes my comments seriously-----

I appreciate your sarcasm! I'm saving that for my next communication with FCA if they don't respond. My wife thinks I'm being stubborn. Now, if it had to do with her flowers or decorations, she'd be climbing walls! I'm still confident that common sense and fairness will win out. Of course, I'm a Cubs fan, so I can wait a long time for the results. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ram cares

My faith is restored. Kind of..... Got an email from the RAM Customer Assistance Center at 5 AM this morning. The rep. said that my request was quite reasonable and that they were sending out an owner's manual, Connect manual and warranty booklet at no cost to me. I will update when said package finally arrives. I'll update those of you who are skeptical as to how many pages in the 2017 Ram owner's manual! :)

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Glad to see you got your manual. My 2016 came with a basic owner’s manual and a CD or DVD in the glovebox, but my salesman showed me a contact link, in the small manual IIRC, where one could request the full-blown version of owner’s manual and UConnect manual. Both of those were N/C and now live in one of the floor cubby’s.

Best,
DG

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At last----when in doubt, read the instructions :naughty::naughty:
Jay