Payload question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The number on the chart is a general number. The number on your sticker is for your specific truck with your options as it came off the assembly line. Anything you add to the truck (mods, cargo, people) count against your payload. Gas DOES NOT COUNT against your payload numbers. That is already figured in.

You have a low payload but the only way to get a true number is to fill your gas tank and get the truck weighed. Then subtract that number from the GVWR of your truck.

I just had my truck weighed and my sticker says 1560 lbs but after my mods (195lbs) and myself (215lbs) I only have a little over 1000 lbs of payload left. Thankfully my trailer tongue weight is only 900lbs.

Some will say you can go over your payload as long as you don't exceed your rear axle weight limit. That may be true but that's a call only you can make.

You said a light trailer. Ideal tongue weight is 10% to 15% of your loaded trailer weight (not dry weight). Any more or any less and you'll be at a higher risk for trailer sway.
A 6000lb trailer with have between 600 and 900 lb tongue weight. That means to get that weight you'll have to buy a 5000 lb dry weight trailer. You'll probably have about a 1000lbs of stuff in your trailer. That's the average.
That means you'll probably be looking at about a 23' to 29' trailer. And don't trust the brochure dry tongue weights. They don't include a battery or full propane tanks. Those two things alone will add about 100lbs onto your tongue weight, not to mention your front pass thru will be packed with stuff.

Edit:
I just saw the other thread after I wrote this and you mentioned that you had a 5th wheel. I wrote this on the assumption that you had no knowledge or experience towing. I hope I didn't insult you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the in depth post. Yes, we had a 5th wheel, but towing with this 1500 will be completely different. The fiver was "half ton rated" and a piece of cake for my 2500. The current travel trailer we are looking at is just under 26ft with an advertised tongue weight of 711 and dry weight of 5277.

It just seems odd to have a truck with all the bells and whistles this Limited has including 3:92's have such a low payload rating.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for the in depth post. Yes, we had a 5th wheel, but towing with this 1500 will be completely different. The fiver was "half ton rated" and a piece of cake for my 2500. The current travel trailer we are looking at is just under 26ft with an advertised tongue weight of 711 and dry weight of 5277.

It just seems odd to have a truck with all the bells and whistles this Limited has including 3:92's have such a low payload rating.
It's really not that unusual for a truck with more options to have a low payload rating. Every option added to the truck that adds a component takes away from the available payload. The only way to get that payload back is to up the axle weight ratings and spring rates.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It has already been explained but here is another.

The base level tradesman truck in a CONFIGURATION is what the chart is for.

So. The base level payload for a CONFIGURATION of Crew Cab 5'7 bed 4x4 is 1530 lbs.

Your specific truck has ~400lbs of options that lower it to 1103.

Limited is the name given because it limits your payload.

Tradesman is the name given because it can do the most work.

OP
OP
SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It has already been explained but here is another.

The base level tradesman truck in a CONFIGURATION is what the chart is for.

So. The base level payload for a CONFIGURATION of Crew Cab 5'7 bed 4x4 is 1530 lbs.

Your specific truck has ~400lbs of options that lower it to 1103.

Limited is the name given because it limits your payload.

Tradesman is the name given because it can do the most work.

I appreciate the reply, but I seriously doubt they used the term "Limited" because of the payload. What about a Longhorn that has basically the same options?

Mopar used the same term with the Grand Cherokee even though there are a couple of trim grades above it including a Summit my wife had.

To be clear, I am not doubting a lower payload with a higher optioned vehicle. in fact, it makes perfect sense. But hey, I'm not going to worry about as I do not plan on getting an 8000 lb trailer.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I appreciate the reply, but I seriously doubt they used the term "Limited" because of the payload. What about a Longhorn that has basically the same options?

Mopar used the same term with the Grand Cherokee even though there are a couple of trim grades above it including a Summit my wife had.

To be clear, I am not doubting a lower payload with a higher optioned vehicle. in fact, it makes perfect sense. But hey, I'm not going to worry about as I do not plan on getting an 8000 lb trailer.
It was a joke. A play on words. Everyone so serious these days

The longhorn is actually heavier in most cases. It is the buckles

Last edited: