PennsOil Platinum or PennsOil Ultra Platinum?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a little info for guys that think Ams Oil is to expensive. You can become a perfered member for $20 a year and get dealer pricing. That brings cost of Ams Sig Series below the cost of Mobil 1 or at least here in ND it does. Then there is Ams XL series that is a 10k mile oil that I still feel is better than Mobil 1 for our Hemi's as I've used all three in my truck and the switch from Mobil to XL was a noticeable difference in engine noise in itself.
I haven't gotten to play with the Penzoil Ultra but I work with a guy that loves the Platinum but still its expensive when compared to Ams Oil unless you find a sale on it.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hvae owned my truck for just over 16 months. I purchsed it used with 70,000 miles. Prior to that it appears to hve alot of dealership oil used in her. I started using Amsoil last year and did a UOA on it and had good wear numbers and such, but in that time, the truck has developed a very noticeable tick at startup. this goes away within 30 seconds or less.

after reading alot about the Penzoil Platinum, i decided to give it a shot this past change. My local WM didn t have the Ultra so I went with the striaght platinum. Bought 2 jugs of it and a Fram Synthetic filter. when I changed, I added in 1/2 quart of Lucas to see if I can quiet this tick and provide a bit of extra protection. (ive used this in the past with a Toyota that had 280,000 original engine miles)

anyways, im about 1200 miles into the change and so far, it is about the same as the amsoil, but seems to get quiet quicker after startup. Im going to stick with this for a year (after a year of the Amsoil) and see how it goes. I will have to change more often but eh. no biggie.

one thing I did notice immediately was the scent of the Penzoil. Unlike any oil I have ever smelled. very noticeable. (i built my first truck and have worked at a drop and fill in my past)

I am running 5w20 but may feed in some 5w30 in the next change since warmer temps abound

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
BTW I did the math its around 16 bucks more for a platinum oil change over conventional.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is interesting.. I never participate in oil threads but there is some good info here and the topic has stayed with pennzoil. I Use Pennzoil conventional and change it every 3k miles (call me old fashion). I developed "HEMI Tick" around 10k miles (i have 22k now). I am religious with oil changes at 3k and I dont want to spend more money on oil just to change it later as I believe changing synthetics at 3k is a waste on a DD like my truck. However i do want to fix the tick. Do you guys have any suggestions on what i should do? If Platinum is only a few bucks more then i guess changing it every 3k is worth it to fix the tick. But wanted to get some feedback before I spend the money on my next oil change.

Also, how serious is Hemi tick? I have got the general idea on here that its fine to just ignore it as trucks with over 150k have it with no issues. but one of the above posts scares me in regards to the replacing lifters comment. Can it in fact cause failure or is it just a "feature"?

Just changing to Redline oil changed mine and many guys on the board, but I am starting to think just going up to 5w30 if your engine lets you may be a better choice in gaining film strength. One member even had hemi tick only after he changed to redline. Many guys say Hemi Tick wont hurt anything, but I don't subscribe to that.

The good news is Hemi Tick is on the upper end, whereas anything rubbing that bad in the lower end would be fatal quick. Some guys get hemi Tick and it causes a condition with the roller or in fact is the roller causing it, and that f's up the cam where it hits the roller, and if that happens you will have wished you just changed the lifters. One good argument for redline oil or Motul is it will keep things like those roller's internals clean, where other oils may not. Esters in oils clean like nothing else, they are actually attracted to metal. If an internal gets gummed up it is likely to get worse with regular oil.

Back on this thread, it is widely believed that Penzoil Ultra has hyper cleaning abilities as well. Whereas your yellow bottle penzoil depends on your calcium level to do most of the cleaning, some oils the base oil also does the cleaning. But, whatever you have going on I would address those lifters. It is possible you can have no issues other then increased wear and nasty noise, but it is also possible you end up with a 6k fix tommorow because the roller seizes and wears down your cam.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Burla: Your post above leads me to believe what I was told about a flaw in design and causing oil flow restriction to these lifters.

I would likely think if there was actual good flow of oil to ALL these lifters that they would never have an issue with cleanliness when doing proper OCI and using a Good Quality so called Full Synthetic or 100% Synthetic oil! Nor have any type of wear problem!

Or maye I am just ignorant on the design of these Roller Lifters? Maybe they are just $hit Quality?

This just has me thinking I have been doing the right thing once the 5.7L is up to operating temp-->I don't let her idle very long when the oil pressure drops below 46 psi! I was told any lower psi is struggling to push the oil up to the top of the motor in certain areas due to either a lacking oil pump or engine design! I have NO proof of this just the word of a Long Time Mopar Mechanic! Advice and Opinions are pretty much worthless these days...

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, clearly this lifter design has problems IMO.

Reactions: SyN

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
I know with the 4.7 which I have, the "Tick" or "Hemi Tick" when referring to the 4.7 is the valve lash adjusters wearing out.

as I said before, my tick has nearly disappeared - slight at start up but gone in seconds.

& I do plan to replace the valve lash adjusters in the future, but right now I know the conventional oil would now quiet the tick for 10min or run time.

So I say the penzoil synthetic is awesome stuff.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just spent 24 min on the cell phone with a tech at the dealership where I bought my Ram!

Really didn't get any where! He said they have had hundreds of Challenger and Charger owners bringing them their cars complaining of this so called Hemi Tick sound! He basically said most end up being fuel injector noise! They have only had too tear into a handful of engines with this issue and found nothing out of the ordinary...

I did question about the low oil psi issue or just a flaw in engine design and lack of oil flow to the lifters... He basically said that is nonsense! These engines have had this so called tick for many model years... If this was really an issue Chrysler would have fixed the issue by now! Ya Ok!

I have no idea--->This has been discussed and talked about for YEARS with really no clear cut answer to this sound!

I did come across this and found this interesting! Yet not acutal proof!!
The hemi mechanic at my dealer put sensors on the different part of my engine. We drove the car with them on and we're able to pinpoint exactly where the ticking was coming from. Your dealer should do this for you. It does sound like your fuel injectors. The fuel rails are at the top of the motor, mine are on each side of my shaker visible. The Shakers have no engine covers or insulation. Dynomat (3 layers) were put around my fuel rails. It did quiet them down 95%.

Not saying this is what most are hearing though! I have no idea if the top portion of the Ram Hemi is the same as this engine posted above...

It will never end!

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For me it is simple, before Redline Oil my truck sounded like a sewing machine, and now it is the smoothest engine I've ever owned. So Hemi ticks are other peoples problems, mine has been solved. The only thing I would do different is opt for 30 weight. So ask the dude why did Burla solve his tick by changing his oil if it is a fuel injector? The actual truth is nobody cares about the truth anymore, they just open their flapping gums and flap away. Don't believe anything you here not even from me, just take the collective information and find out for yourself = you just earned your man card.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Docbull