Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oh, and btw, I've been using the Wix XP oil filter but the Fram Ultraguard right off the shelf at either Walmart or Canadian Tire looks really tempting. What do you guys think? I know some of you seem to swear by the Royal Purple filter. Don't have any warm or hot engine "Hemi tick", truck is 2008 2500 5.7 @ 135k km (roughly 80k miles) and was advised to run PUP 5w30 year round wich I started doing this year compared to running Castrol Edge 5w20 in winter and 5w30 in summer.
oil filter thread, read page 1 and page 93. After you read page 93 you will see why BITOG hates wix xp. RP = thick loose spunglass, wix xp = thin tight spun microglass, see what that means to the filtration on page 93. Read the entire thread to see why rp keeps coming out as top choice, over and over all roads lead to the same place, maybe one or two side roads, but read for yourself. Hemi tick is only part of it, hemi's also benefit from good filtered oil as well. Thick loose media not only filters great but it allows filters to spend less time in bypass, which when a filter is in bypass no filtering is happening.

notice wix xp grey line and how bad it is as filtering larger micron particles, that is very poor, usually any filter filters those better at some point, they fall off the chart.

51876124149_fc895001db_c-jpg.jpg

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
oil filter thread, read page 1 and page 93. After you read page 93 you will see why BITOG hates wix xp. RP = thick loose spunglass, wix xp = thin tight spun microglass, see what that means to the filtration on page 93. Read the entire thread to see why rp keeps coming out as top choice, over and over all roads lead to the same place, maybe one or two side roads, but read for yourself. Hemi tick is only part of it, hemi's also benefit from good filtered oil as well. Thick loose media not only filters great but it allows filters to spend less time in bypass, which when a filter is in bypass no filtering is happening.

notice wix xp grey line and how bad it is as filtering larger micron particles, that is very poor, usually any filter filters those better at some point, they fall off the chart.

View attachment 517516
So what you/this is saying in that chart is that the FRAM ultra Synthetic filter has 100% efficiency from 15 microns to 50?

I normally shy away from Fram...

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what you/this is saying in that chart is that the FRAM ultra Synthetic filter has 100% efficiency from 15 microns to 50?

This chart prompted my return of RP 30-8a filters and a purchase of Fram XG8As instead. Next change will be moving to the Frams, both for my hemi and the Durango pentastar cartridge filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

well, there were two main tests on that thread, the first one royal purple has the best efficiency backed up with pictures, and the test that showed what you said fram was 1. I don't have much info past that, I would say I use fram on the wifes car, imo the new fram spunmicroglass isnt like old orange can fran, but I use rp on the ram. if not one of those two then what?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
just for info purposes, the green line is 0w40, as you see it is thicker then other oils at cold. The 0 in 0w40 only means it is the thinnest they can make 40 weight without it dropping grade. This is at 40c, it gets way worse even colder it gets. The second image is what happens below zero, yes that is 5w40 but 0w40 is not far from 5w40, below zero any 40 weight is in the 1,000's. Now, 0w40 does lose viscosity which in moderate cold might be as thin as 5w30, but in real cold you will miss those vii's that sheared. If you kind find a motor oil viscosity calculator you can compare oils. Guys have ran 0w40 in the mds hemi with decent results, even thick 0w40's.

View attachment 517464

View attachment 517465
Here is a basic -25C and 20C viscosity test. 0w40 edges out 5w30 at the -25C test and is slightly behind 5w30 on the 20C test.

This shows a more dramatic difference at -30C which in your info above states the 0w40 should be significantly worse.

These aren't huge differences at cold and room temp but for someone who tows with 240+oil temps I would rather the 0w40. I also thought that the euro spec 0w40 had higher ZDDP additive package as well.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
well, there were two main tests on that thread, the first one royal purple has the best efficiency backed up with pictures, and the test that showed what you said fram was 1. I don't have much info past that, I would say I use fram on the wifes car, imo the new fram spunmicroglass isnt like old orange can fran, but I use rp on the ram. if not one of those two then what?
I don't trust Fram so I guess I'll keep on using the purolator boss, Mobile extended, K&N thats on sale with the penn ultra platinum. I just did a 10k mile oil change yesterday with a mobile 1 extended filter (sending out for oil analysis) and the filter looked good on the inside and oil was fine visually. I also run the stock height filters with no issues.

Watched a few videos and the newest endurance doesn't look like an upgrade to the ultra at least https://youtu.be/Gm9J36Szcho and this is kinda what I expect from Fram.