Pesky Rattles FOUND IT FINALLY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Anybody else have an annoying rattle or noise in the interior? I have a very metallic sounding rattle in mine. Sounds like its coming from the back seat area. Only happens at a specific RPM, in a certain gear, under certain load. I know the culprit is the Carven progressive exhaust because it's the source of the resonant frequency that causes it.

I took my small tackle boxes out, maybe it was the hooks and lures...NOPE
Checked the ammo i store in the floor...NOPE
Seatbelt buckles...NOPE
Undercarriage rattles...NOPE

Drives me nuts. Can't replicate the resonance with music, only that sweet spot of drone from the exhaust. One day I'll find time to have my wife drive and sit in the back, crawling around to track it down.

Doesn't drive me crazy enough to want to rip the interior out and dynomat it but damn! I just want to hear my exhaust and music.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ram beast project on YouTube had something like that and it turned out to be a loose bolt behind the fron passenger cover

OP
OP
Sasquatchtdg

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Skimmed through his videos but didn't see one specifically labeled for that issue. Lot of click bait type titles. :/

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a rattle coming from the upper mount for my front seat belts. Irritating and with my OCD its 100 times worst than anyone else notices. Need to take them down and see what the problem is.

IMG_0332.JPG

OP
OP
Sasquatchtdg

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I found the culprit, now I need to know what it is and why’s it there?

it is on the rear seat, on the hinges. There’s one on both sides. Left and right of the seat. This one in the middle is the culprit.
DFBBC2E4-76A0-4934-B577-DC40A5A21C23.jpeg
5D0BF4A2-E1E1-402C-A724-A207E7E312FD.jpeg

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a rattle coming from the upper mount for my front seat belts. Irritating and with my OCD its 100 times worst than anyone else notices. Need to take them down and see what the problem is.

View attachment 183012

You ever take them down and see what's causing the noise? My driver one is doing this and it is noticeably looser than the passenger side but not like it's going to come off or anything. Its been driving me nuts for a while now.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You ever take them down and see what's causing the noise? My driver one is doing this and it is noticeably looser than the passenger side but not like it's going to come off or anything. Its been driving me nuts for a while now.

Not yet. Maybe in the next few weeks. Hard to find time with the holidays coming up.

OP
OP
Sasquatchtdg

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Capture.JPG
I had a perfect scientific plan to detect the sound frequency that caused it. Around 125hz. Then use a tone generator to see if the subwoofer could reproduce it.

However I ended up just beating on the subwoofer box and when i hit it just right it recreated the frequency that caused it to make noise. Some how it lost spring and was loose, causing it to become a damn tuning fork.

I pulled this piece loose, then bent the arc down more, to add tension, replicating the left side that doesn't make noise. Then reattached it. That worked for me. If i can ever find out if it actually serves a purpose, and deem in unnecessary, then i'll remove it.

No issues since.

Hope this helps. Sure worked for my sanity.