PHONE CHARGING PORT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Please don't block me from this forum because of the following statement. ;>)
The power outlet locations and how to change the fuse under the hood to get battery power instead of key power was all in my ....owners manual.

OP
OP
dieseldave

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please don't block me from this forum because of the following statement. ;>)
The power outlet locations and how to change the fuse under the hood to get battery power instead of key power was all in my ....owners manual.
If you are not going to help the guy , why even bother to respond

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some FCA vehicles have a fuse slot w/ 2 positions. #1 hot w/ ignition. #2 hot all the time. Move the fuse over to suit your needs. Look for a fuse spot w/ 3 little slits for the fuse blades to go in.
So, my question is, would it eventually drain my battery if it is "hot all the time?"

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Only if something is plugged in and drawing a fair bit of power.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I change the USB port in the console to always be hot. Look for the fuse that governs that port and take a good look at it. There are 3 slots. Just pop the fuse and move it over one slot. Good to go.

The battery will not discharge. The phone uses very little current for charging.

OP
OP
dieseldave

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I change the USB port in the console to always be hot. Look for the fuse that governs that port and take a good look at it. There are 3 slots. Just pop the fuse and move it over one slot. Good to go.

The battery will not discharge. The phone uses very little current for charging.
Do you know what fuse number it is

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It is doubtful a good truck battery will discharge too much overnight if the phone is not doing too much. But, if you have a lot of apps that constantly run in the background, or your phone keeps searching for the best wifi signal all night, or you get a lot of alerts/messages all night, and if your truck battery is not the best, there is the remote possibility that you could have a dead truck battery in the morning. I recommend airplane mode while charging to prevent all that. Also, make sure your charging cord and socket won't interfere with the phone ending it's charging cycle once fully charged.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is doubtful a good truck battery will discharge too much overnight if the phone is not doing too much. But, if you have a lot of apps that constantly run in the background, or your phone keeps searching for the best wifi signal all night, or you get a lot of alerts/messages all night, and if your truck battery is not the best, there is the remote possibility that you could have a dead truck battery in the morning. I recommend airplane mode while charging to prevent all that. Also, make sure your charging cord and socket won't interfere with the phone ending it's charging cycle once fully charged.
Who leaves their phone overnight in their cars???

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Obviously the OP. I could see it, if say one is a contractor and had both a business and personal phone, I would leave work phone in my truck because I don't answer it at night and I don't want to forget it the next day. My truck is in a garage, so would be ideal for me if I was that person.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obviously the OP. I could see it, if say one is a contractor and had both a business and personal phone, I would leave work phone in my truck because I don't answer it at night and I don't want to forget it the next day. My truck is in a garage, so would be ideal for me if I was that person.
Okay, I see the point made. I turn mine off at night.