Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Driving to work today my truck went into limp mode. it has been running great since my engine rebuild about 700 miles ago.
the lightning bolt on my dash started flashing along with the 4wd light. the only thing i did to my truck was install a catch can 2 days ago. so i am assuming that has to do with it somehow. Can anybody tell me what i did to my truck?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the truck running check to see if your alternator is charging using a volt meter should be 13-14 ish vots.

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@jws123 i would love to but my truck is at work and dont have access to my tools

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Driving to work today my truck went into limp mode. it has been running great since my engine rebuild about 700 miles ago.
the lightning bolt on my dash started flashing along with the 4wd light. the only thing i did to my truck was install a catch can 2 days ago. so i am assuming that has to do with it somehow. Can anybody tell me what i did to my truck?
Lets see a pic of how you ran the catch can hoses.It's pretty tough to screw up a catch can install,but it has been done. If the can is plumbed in properly and doesn't have any vacumn leaks it shouldn't affect how the engine runs,or cause a throttle body code

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If
yea i think it might be a little crimped
If the hose is collasping when it's hot at the bend under vacumn it could cause an issue. The other hose is also on the long side,you could turn the fitting down slightly,so it points down a bit more and shorten the other hose to.Are the hoses your using a good quality reinforced hose. Also listen for any vacumn leaks at the can or fittings.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The catch can should really have nothing to do with the lightning bolt showing on dash tho unless you accidently knocked a wire off near alternator/battery ect.

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
would a vacuum leak cause the code, cause i don't know if i closed the valve on the bottom of the catch can.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It might,but you should of had a massive vacumn leak that would be easy to hear,and the idle would of been high as hell.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
would a vacuum leak cause the code, cause i don't know if i closed the valve on the bottom of the catch can.
Not sure on Ram but it sure did on my 2000 GMC Sierra when I had a vacuum leak. So I would think it could in this situation as well.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got it figured out, I must knocked my throttle sensor when I installing the catch can. after making sure none of my lines were leaking. I unplugged and plugged the throttle sensor and presto all fixed.
You didn't have to unhook your battery or anything too?
Glad you got it figured out!
Forgot to ask, after you had the engine rebuilt again do you still have the JG cam and the custom tune?

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You didn't have to unhook your battery or anything too?
Glad you got it figured out!
Forgot to ask, after you had the engine rebuilt again do you still have the JG cam and the custom tune?

Nope I just made sure the key was out of the ignition unplugged the air intake temp sensor and throttle position sensor and plugged them back in and good to go. I don't think the temp sensor had anything thing to do with it but there ya go.

And yes i still have HL cam and tune.
Let me tell you bud she sounds good, she makes me giggle every time I start her up.
Got 2 tunes from green racing and 87 octane everyday driving tune and 91 octane go fast tune.
I have not tried the 91 tune yet I am still taking it easy while do the engine breakin, witch is painful might i add. I have already been challenged by a Ford and Chevy and had to let them roll by.
Knock on wood so far everything is running smooth.

Good to hear from you, now stop being a stranger and come have a beer with me. you are like my pen pal now.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope I just made sure the key was out of the ignition unplugged the air intake temp sensor and throttle position sensor and plugged them back in and good to go. I don't think the temp sensor had anything thing to do with it but there ya go.

And yes i still have HL cam and tune.
Let me tell you bud she sounds good, she makes me giggle every time I start her up.
Got 2 tunes from green racing and 87 octane everyday driving tune and 91 octane go fast tune.
I have not tried the 91 tune yet I am still taking it easy while do the engine breakin, witch is painful might i add. I have already been challenged by a Ford and Chevy and had to let them roll by.
Knock on wood so far everything is running smooth.

Good to hear from you, now stop being a stranger and come have a beer with me. you are like my pen pal now.
Lol basically forum pals at this point, I'll swing by soon for sure! Finally cooling off, gotta hear that lope and have some cigars man!