PLug and play LED headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TSTHokie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Has anyone tried the plug and play LED headlights on their Rams? I have LED fog lights, and they work wonderfully, but are the traditional style bulb. Just wondering if they would work properly on my 2012. Don't want to spend money, just to have to return the bulbs.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't help ya, but I'm curious about it, too.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
There's several threads in the exterior section about them.

The general consensus right now is there better than halogens, but not better than HIDs.
And they seem to work better in projectors.

OP
OP
TSTHokie

TSTHokie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've heard they're better in projectors, which I don't have. I wanted something better the meh stock halogen bulbs. And to do HIDS, would be kind of costly as I've heard you don't want the stock housings for them. Maybe I'll test them out.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When I was looking to change out the factory bulbs I did some research and found many folks saying that while the light was brighter and whiter it did not "project" as far or light up the road as far as quality halogen bulbs. There are many sellers that specifically state they are for fogs only and they don't work well as head lights.

Keep in mind this is all hearsay as I have never used them myself. If you decide to go for it I would be very interested to hear what you think of their output and their ability to function as headlights. A comparison to stock would be nice as it is something many of us can relate to as a "standard candle".

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would love to get info on this also. I almost bit the bullet and bought some.
I hear they are not as bright as HIDs, but brighter than stock. A good set of LEDs are more expensive than both. But I dont do pricey. Lol once again just hear say though

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I've read there very good in the fogs.. Not many good reviews from headlights..

There's a good discussion on the Z forum about them.

OP
OP
TSTHokie

TSTHokie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In the fogs, they are outstanding. I do a lot stargazing with the local astronomy club and with my son. Just the fogs alone I can light up the road directly in front of me damn well. The headlights just aren't that great, even in high beam mode, when I'm traversing these extremely dark roads. I almost feel like I'm outrunning my headlights, and this is doing 35-45mph. With father's day coming around, the wife usually lets me pick something to do with my vehicles ( I also have a 1968 Mustang that has been "resto-modded") I'll let you know if I get the bulbs, and how they perform!

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a054bb03ae8b53fc991beab823a69a76.jpg8a62335e281c9886b982ff67fa6dd5e9.jpg

These things are bright. I can see then on the wall outside from 10-15 feet away. Ill get night pics tonight!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Very interested from your daytime shot...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are the Morimoto LED's the concensous? I saw the discussion on the other thread, but after a few pages, I got confused. :)

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These are a company cslled opt7, from amazon. Very bright and i love how white they are and how instant also.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Keep them coming...they look great in the day, but the true test is what you think of them at night. I really like the silvery look.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the fogs, they are outstanding. I do a lot stargazing with the local astronomy club and with my son. Just the fogs alone I can light up the road directly in front of me damn well. The headlights just aren't that great, even in high beam mode, when I'm traversing these extremely dark roads. I almost feel like I'm outrunning my headlights, and this is doing 35-45mph. With father's day coming around, the wife usually lets me pick something to do with my vehicles ( I also have a 1968 Mustang that has been "resto-modded") I'll let you know if I get the bulbs, and how they perform!

Get a LED bar and mount it between your tow hooks. You won't outrun this light output.

1a9487aac701e5fd93992e699cb8bb76.jpg
350faca3cbd14ebf000ab412a0b0e1ca.jpg

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the fogs are made for projector fogs. They dont put out a ton of light. And there are two leds on the very end that are unaimed so they are bright

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only thing i dont like, or at least not sure of is since the bulbs are "sealed" the bases are gonna get too hot with the lack of airflow

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The only thing i dont like, or at least not sure of is since the bulbs are "sealed" the bases are gonna get too hot with the lack of airflow

You shouldn't have to worry about that with LEDs. They will run much cooler than halogens. If it's not too much to ask would you mind taking a picture in a place absent street lights, one with foglights on and one without?