PLug and play LED headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So 2 months into using my LEDs.

WTF!!!!!!!
I emaled OPT7 to look into a warranty. I was reading the instructions and they say due to the amount of air flow these lights need the dust cover is not recommended to be reinstalled. So im wondering if that cap made the light overheat and burn up like i initially thought. Tomorrow morning im putting in my OEM lights so i dont get pulled over since I work and mainly drive at night.

Still. A little miffed its burnt up.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Well, that sucks..Did your's have the heat sink or fans?

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both. The company is sending me a replacement and i have to send the bad one back for "testing". I think im going to remove the dust cap to help any air flow.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, the dust cap on the drivers side one too and it's ok for now?

Guess I would remove both.

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah im gonna pull both dust caps. I have to change back to my OEM lights for now. hopefully i should get the new lights on wednesday.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah im gonna pull both dust caps. I have to change back to my OEM lights for now. hopefully i should get the new lights on wednesday.

Those dust caps also serve to keep moisture out of the lights. You may see fogging and or have pudding in the bottom of the lenses.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those dust caps also serve to keep moisture out of the lights. You may see fogging and or have pudding in the bottom of the lenses.

I have mine slit for my HID wires and don't have a issue. Maybe make a few holes to let some of the heat out.

Guess these would be perfect for the fogs then..lol

ruraldodge607

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Well that sucks zavaral, I put my dust covers back on (even though install would've been easier without) and have been running fine since March.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 2015s have a whole new set of complications when it comes to lighting modifications. If you are interested in upgrading I would consult with JJRetroShop before purchasing anything. He'll be able to point you towards what works and has most of what's needed on hand.

yeah i know i keep reading about issues so i've held off so far... thanks anyhow! :(

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that sucks zavaral, I put my dust covers back on (even though install would've been easier without) and have been running fine since March.
Im chalking it up with just a bad batch. Now if another one goes then ill questions the brand.

linkbeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone try em on the 2015's?

Yep, I just bought my 2015 1500 Express 4x4 and installed my Opt7 LED headlight bulbs recently. They work great but you need to use both the polarity reverse cables and the capacitor cables. The polarity reverse cables must connect to the oem harness, followed by the capacitors, not the other way around (the capacitor cables have a clip that doesn't fit into the oem harness.) I found this out the hard way. They all fit in the housing behind the dust cap just fine.

I've heard from other vendors that 2015's aren't supported with their products due to some kind of change but I haven't had a problem with these.

My only issue is with the color. One of the bulbs is slightly more yellow (and dimmer) than the other. We'll see what support says.

Huge thanks to Zavaral and others in this thread btw. I've been lurking for some time and made the jump to these LED's thanks to this thread.

IMG_1867_zpsiomwjqbk.jpg

linkbeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im chalking it up with just a bad batch. Now if another one goes then ill questions the brand.

Keep us up to date, I'm also curious. If I have any issues I'll also report back.

One other thing that might help: There are caps on the back of the housing (not the dust caps) that you can loosen up a bit that will allow for more airflow. You might give this a shot first before taking off the dust caps. There's a youtube video somewhere on how to do this.

I've read elsewhere that someone who removed their dust caps ended up with condensation in the housing after a rainstorm. Not worth removing IMO.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, I just bought my 2015 1500 Express 4x4 and installed my Opt7 LED headlight bulbs recently. They work great but you need to use both the polarity reverse cables and the capacitor cables. The polarity reverse cables must connect to the oem harness, followed by the capacitors, not the other way around (the capacitor cables have a clip that doesn't fit into the oem harness.) I found this out the hard way. They all fit in the housing behind the dust cap just fine.

I've heard from other vendors that 2015's aren't supported with their products due to some kind of change but I haven't had a problem with these.

My only issue is with the color. One of the bulbs is slightly more yellow (and dimmer) than the other. We'll see what support says.

Huge thanks to Zavaral and others in this thread btw. I've been lurking for some time and made the jump to these LED's thanks to this thread.

nice... any pics?

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my bulb is good. It ended up being the little box that came with then. Un fortunatly they sent me a new one with the wrong connector. And i leave the country for 4 months tomorrow so it will have to wait til i get back

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although i just forced them together my lights work now. Lol

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im sure ill post some pics of dirt when i get there. Lol

linkbeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nice... any pics?

IMG_1783_zpsptvgjnh9.jpg

IMG_1686_zpsuzv8gshn.jpg

They work really well. The second pic is on an unlit portion of US 84 somewhere in Oregon (where they love to ticket unsuspecting speeders thanks to an artificially low speed limit.) Notice how they light up road signs wayyyy down the road. Anything reflective comes alive with these.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_1783_zpsptvgjnh9.jpg

IMG_1686_zpsuzv8gshn.jpg

They work really well. The second pic is on an unlit portion of US 84 somewhere in Oregon (where they love to ticket unsuspecting speeders thanks to an artificially low speed limit.) Notice how they light up road signs wayyyy down the road. Anything reflective comes alive with these.

ahhhhh much better, where did you purchase from? No codes at all?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat