PLug and play LED headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw a vid on led lights and i was courious..So instead of buying to try,i took a set of led's off one of the company local freightliner day cab and installed to my highway tractor...Yeah it was whiter but after 10ft or so the range seemed to be less than my upgraded halogan bulbs...So stockers went back in and now i got a cpl hid kits comming from cali...I know the hids will work nice cause i used a set(el cheapo) and liiked the range..So i made a email to ddm tuning and got a cpl sets comming..89.95(usd) for the ultra and free shipping world wide..

linkbeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a vid on led lights and i was courious..So instead of buying to try,i took a set of led's off one of the company local freightliner day cab and installed to my highway tractor...Yeah it was whiter but after 10ft or so the range seemed to be less than my upgraded halogan bulbs...So stockers went back in and now i got a cpl hid kits comming from cali...I know the hids will work nice cause i used a set(el cheapo) and liiked the range..So i made a email to ddm tuning and got a cpl sets comming..89.95(usd) for the ultra and free shipping world wide..

Yeah no wonder they didn't work well. The position and placement of the LED's is key to getting the right beam pattern in a reflector housing. Trust me, put in a pair of LED's like the Opt7 that were actually designed to put the light source in the same spot as the incandescent H11's and you'll notice the difference. The beam pattern is focused, long and bright. Another issue is that most of these LED replacements only have output on one side. I can't imagine that being very effective.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's my take on it. If you have a quad setup I would say go for LEDs in the low beams and leave halogens in the high beams. I say this because the kind of light that is put out by each is different. The led light is much "cleaner" and brighter then the factory bulbs and it's difficult to describe, but the light reflects back to you much better. It's almost as if the objects glow with their own light as opposed to the LEDs lighting them.

The perfect combination (to me) is running the foglights with brighter than factory halogens and get the best of both worlds. I have lamin-x yellow tint in my fogs to change their optics. For some reason, the human eye is much better at picking out detail (contrast) in low light situations with yellow light than it is with blue or white light. Don't believe it, but on a pair of yellow safety glasses and go for a ride at night sometime ( it's what I use on my motorcycle).

With no experience with HIDs, I will have to different to others opinions on those, but if I were a betting man, I would put my money on LEDs becoming the go to technology for automotive lighting and HIDs slowly losing favor.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

A man of my heart. All my rides since 2002 have had been converted to yellow foglights. Its all about the low wavelength. Safety First :)

The sweetest light output was on my previous ride a 2014 370z, the daytime running lights which were LED bars on either side of the bumper were converted by myself via film to yellow. I liked it. Was aiming to get something like that for my Ram . Currently using yellow film on stock 2015 fogs, pretty lame to be honest, but then again as is the stock headlight halogens coming from Xenons that is, especially since I was used to hids for the last few years or more.

linkbeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently using yellow film on stock 2015 fogs, pretty lame to be honest, but then again as is the stock headlight halogens coming from Xenons that is, especially since I was used to hids for the last few years or more.

I'm trying to find a decent yellow LED 9006 replacements but I'm not having any luck. I've seen several dual sport motorcycles on the highway with bright yellow LED's which would be perfect but I haven't found anything good yet. The reviews on the Opt7 fog lights are not good.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to find a decent yellow LED 9006 replacements but I'm not having any luck. I've seen several dual sport motorcycles on the highway with bright yellow LED's which would be perfect but I haven't found anything good yet. The reviews on the Opt7 fog lights are not good.

On this ocassion I used a generic yellow film that I have used on past non led dlr or foglight housings with good results. I never changed the bulb itself, reason was two fold for me. To achieve the color plus protect the fog lense also.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Lamin-x makes custom cut fog light film for our trucks in a variety of different colors.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not sure but you can search their products by vehicle on their website.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Good to know, do they sell a clear film for the color coded area of the front bumper on the RAM 1500? Mines half chrome and half painted body color type.

You mean like the clear bra stuff. I'm not sure they do but I think x pel does.

johnbradshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 - 2002
Engine
99 ram 2500 with 5.9 24 valve
I upgraded mine to Subzero LED kit, they work just fine and easy plug & play install.

Mennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have the wiring info needed for the 2015. it was mentioned in an above post but no numbers.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat