Poor handling while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

VirtualRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the lift bags, do you have to keep putting air in/taking air out every time you're going to tow or not? Or if you're pretty much always towing the same thing, can you leave them at the same pressure even when not towing?

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Been running 28 psi every day for the last 8 months. Check them every tow and they haven't changed. Keep in mind they are a lift so yer gonna get increased rake when yer trucks empty. Even at the minimum 5 psi the ass comes up a little. Some guys inflate/deflate. I leave 'em alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the lift bags, do you have to keep putting air in/taking air out every time you're going to tow or not? Or if you're pretty much always towing the same thing, can you leave them at the same pressure even when not towing?

you just air em up then you can either leave them or air them down when not towing. if you leave them your ride will be stiffer and it will life the rear end a bit

i keep mine at 15psi and only air them up if i have a heavy load. most people drop them to 5psi since that's the minimum and even at 15psi the ride is noticeably stiffer but i don't really mind. if you install them with the T it's a lot faster and easier to go up and down with them but some people like to run a septate line for each airbag

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you pull a long, light trailer and use the 'T' fitting, it allows air to move right to left and back, almost increasing any sway. There was a measurable improvement when I removed the 'T' fitting and used a dedicated line per bag.
Now that we only use it to tow I just leave it at 30psi and check before leaving.
I used to inflate/deflate to keep the ride comfort when it was our 2nd vehicle. The bags are so small, I've used a hand bicycle tire pump to inflate them; it only takes a minute.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi virtualram,
I believe you have an issue there. I have not towed but I have carried over 1500 lb of wood in my 13 1500 which is stock and it gave me no problems at all. Agree also better distribution of weight on that pic and also it looks to me that even in that pic the back end is down based on the rear fender well gap. But that should still not make it feel unsafe. That load should be a non-issue for that truck. Time for a dealer visit maybe. +1 on put a a load in it and see if it does the same thing.
JMHO YMMV.
Hope you get it sorted,

preachp