Popping/clanking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2015 1500 that has a 6 inch suspension and 3 inch body lift. I’m also running 22x14s with 37’s.
Lately whenever I accelerate from a stop, or when I’m braking or turning
I hear a a weird popping type sound.
When I accelerate from a stop it’s as soon as I hit the gas and it’ll be like 3-5 pops and then I don’t hear it until I brake or turn.
I already replaced my UCA’s, sway bar links and lower ball joints.
What could it be?

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2015 1500 that has a 6 inch suspension and 3 inch body lift. I’m also running 22x14s with 37’s.
When I accelerate from a stop it’s as soon as I hit the gas and it’ll be like 3-5 pops and then I don’t hear it until I brake or turn.
What could it be?
Also 2WD

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I honestly feel like I can hear it from the rear sometimes but 100% the front and yes I can almost feel it in my foot like through the pedal. Sounds more like driver side.

I also realized, I got my driver side tie Rod end replaced when I was at the guys place that did my lift about 6 months ago. And today I notice there’s only a few threads showing where the bolt is on the tie-Rod end. And the passenger side(which is stock) has a lot more threads showing. I tried tightening but I couldn’t even move it.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You hear it when weight is shifting so I would spend some time checking every suspension component. Check your motor mounts too. Anything that has bushing or a balljoint.

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You hear it when weight is shifting so I would spend some time checking every suspension component. Check your motor mounts too. Anything that has bushing or a balljoint.
You think it could be the lower arm bushings?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be a lot of things…at least you know its not the CV axles. You really need to thoroughly go over the suspension. At first it sound like your rear diff, but you say front.

Jared Worley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd take the cover off the differential and check for metal. Mine did this as my pinion bearing was getting grated into chunks. The culprit was a loose pinion nut leading to complete rear end failure.

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Will do. I’m sure there is something from the front. But honestly I’m almost positive I can hear it from the rear too. So I guess I’m not too positive lol.
Will I have to get the diff completely redone if that’s the case? And how much did it cost?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
What could it be?
Did you install a carrier bearing spacer kit on your truck? All 2wds with lift kits should be installed with a carrier bearing kit which will drop the driveshaft back down to the proper alignment ...

My truck was doing that after I lifted it, it was also vibrating, I found out that a carrier bearing spacer was needed, installed it myself and everything was good

here is the link to it ...

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can you pinpoint front or rear? Can you feel the pops? Or just hear them?
Was driving slow with windows down today. Definitely hearing it from the back, what do you think it could be?

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was driving slow with windows down today. Definitely hearing it from the back, what do you think it could be?
With my windows up it sounds like it’s up front. But with them down it sounds like it’s coming from rear lol

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you install a carrier bearing spacer kit on your truck? All 2wds with lift kits should be installed with a carrier bearing kit which will drop the driveshaft back down to the proper alignment ...

My truck was doing that after I lifted it, it was also vibrating, I found out that a carrier bearing spacer was needed, installed it myself and everything was good

here is the link to it ...

Found it. I didn’t see there was a second page to this thread lol.
You think this could be the problem? Every time I’m turning or braking or even if I’m slowing down not using the brake, it’ll make the same clanking sound. Dosnt seem like it does it on speed bumps since I installed the new UCAs

Thanks btw I appreciate the replies

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Found it. I didn’t see there was a second page to this thread lol.
You think this could be the problem? Every time I’m turning or braking or even if I’m slowing down not using the brake, it’ll make the same clanking sound. Dosnt seem like it does it on speed bumps since I installed the new UCAs

Thanks btw I appreciate the replies
Yes, 2wds need this carrier bearing spacer kit to realign the driveshaft .... it only costs $50 ... install it and I can almost guarantee you that the issue will be resolved with this ...

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, 2wds need this carrier bearing spacer kit to realign the driveshaft .... it only costs $50 ... install it and I can almost guarantee you that the issue will be resolved with this ...
Sounds good thanks a lot. I should of went with the maxtrac 7 inch, Didn’t wanna spend that extra couple hundred lol.
The rough country seems fine so far, although the shocks don’t seem that great. Do you just have the maxtrac shocks that came with kit ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Sounds good thanks a lot. I should of went with the maxtrac 7 inch, Didn’t wanna spend that extra couple hundred lol.
The rough country seems fine so far, although the shocks don’t seem that great. Do you just have the maxtrac shocks that came with kit ?
No, I went with the upgraded Fox shocks all around ..

On that spacer kit, you might only need to add all the shims except for 1 on each bolt ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Gotcha. Gonna order that now
How's the body lift ? Any noises? I am planning on eventually installing the 3" body lift too but I have to notch the body mount braces below the cab and reinforce them ..and also right now it fits in the garage, if I add the body lift it wont fit lol ...