Possible fixes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kansas77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my 2006 ram 2500 6.7 stopped working 2 weeks ago. Check engine light came on and wouldn’t work. The gauge needles started flickering and so did the cab lights. No crank or anything. So I replaced the starter and that didn’t work. Come to find out my batter wasn’t holding a load so I got that fixed and took it straight to the shop. They looked at it and they said it was a bad alternator so I replaced that and now it won’t start at all. No crank nothing. Batteries are good, new starter, new alternator. Any ideas on what’s going on?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
is the right side battery getting hot? If so It may be a problem with the battery cable or connectors.

OP
OP
K

Kansas77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It didn’t seem like it, I also checked all of the fuses and connections and cleaned out any funk that was on there

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I noticed on my 06 that when I changed the batteries I had to tighten the battery terminals on both sides of the terminals or I got a cel and it did weird things like manifold heater sticking on. Haven't had that on any other vehicles. Changed the alternator and both batteries before a 3rd shop figured it out. Not neccesarily the issue, but free to try.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also, the manifold heater pulls more load than the alternator puts out so if the solenoid sticks it will drain the battery completely so that might be something else to check since you've already changed the usual suspects on charging issues. I'm not sure which fuse you'd have to pull, but if you don't have a mutlimeter with a clamp on load test disabling it and seeing if the charging problem persists is also worth trying. Should be a plug on it as well. It's on the intake manifold.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
May want to clean any grounds you can access ,as it’s 16+ yrs old they are probably getting corrosion where they mount on painted surfaces.