Power Fold Upgrade to Tow Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I've searched back, and think I have a good understanding of what is required, but wanted to confirm.

have a 2016 Bighorn, originally came with std heated mirrors. I upgraded to the chrome power fold with puddle lights, tilt, memory etc and upgraded the modules as well. They have/are working fine, but have started towing a bass boat several weekends a month and am considering upgrading to the tow style mirror. Since I already replaced the modules, It appears all I really need are the two mirrors themselves? And possibly the extra bracket (confused if this is actually necessary, some say yes/some say skip it). I have the excellent Wadestar Blind Spot mirror addons, but would like bit larger view esp at darker times ie launching the am, etc.

I assume I can go with oem or an equivalent ie the A1 version, and just be sure to get the power fold/puddle/etc version? Tilt and memory tbh I don't care about. And to be honest, I rarely even use the fold, but with larger mirror I can see it being more useful now.

Or, conversely, for a much cheaper alternative, what is the consensus on using those "slide-on" towing mirrors that temporarily slide over your oem? Buddy had a set and told me "they work" but seemed less than enthusiastic about them lol.

EDIT, after checking OEM pricing, I would likely go with an aftermarket part - A-1 or possibly one of the Amazon models which seem to run $200-400 a pair.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm assuming you have the power fold option already so if you want the new tow mirrors to be able to fold in with your switch, you must get the tow mirrors intended for the 2500 and 3500 because if you get them for a 1500, they won't have the electronics in them to respond to your switch.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yeah, looking like Power Fold 2500/3500 mirrors are pretty spendy. I think I will try the slip on version, for $54 it's worth it to try them first I think, if they don't work well I can then move on to the replacement option.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think I will try the slip on version, for $54 it's worth it to try them first
Check the aftermarket slip on mirrors as they may not work with the chrome capped standard size mirrors.
I use the slip on mirrors from Fit System, they work good for the standard black mirror.
If you already have the power-fold feature, there are lots of members like the Trail Ridge power fold towing mirrors they would be a good option.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yeah looking at the amazon one they talk about not fitting mirrors with lighting unless flush... mine are the oem chrome power fold mirrors but the puddle lamps to protrude down about 1/8" or so from the shell. So may not work. Will fine out tuesday, if not I willl just send them back.

I looked a Trail Ridge, they are getting some complaints about not having available warranty, ie they claim lifetime warranty but there is no way to make contact with them. There are a bunch of offshore mirrors on Amazon/Ebay as well. Will see what happens with the slip on version and go from there.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The tow mirror braces are suppose to almost eliminate the vibration or shakiness of the mirror glass.
If you don't install them now & see the vibration & worry it may cause the assembly to begin cracking. They can always be installed

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Snap n zap. $90 Canadian. Fits perfectly. The mirrors are flat so you can see straight back. There's a hole in the bottom to tighten up the mirror if it vibrates. Power fold works as it should. I would have preferred them to be convex mirrors, thought. They are very snug around the mirror frame. quite difficult to get them to that final clip and release. They're going nowhere! 8/10 IMG_20220620_155252.jpg

They are not as good as the flip out factory mirrors, but I wasn't about to spend $1300 for those.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yeah looking at the amazon one they talk about not fitting mirrors with lighting unless flush... mine are the oem chrome power fold mirrors but the puddle lamps to protrude down about 1/8" or so from the shell. So may not work. Will fine out tuesday, if not I willl just send them back.

I looked a Trail Ridge, they are getting some complaints about not having available warranty, ie they claim lifetime warranty but there is no way to make contact with them. There are a bunch of offshore mirrors on Amazon/Ebay as well. Will see what happens with the slip on version and go from there.

Well they arrived, and do fit the oem chrome power folds. Not the most aesthetically pleasing add-on tbh, but appears functional. They do block the puddle lamps fwiw. Will give them a test later this week when I pick up my trailer. But, I think I probably will still keep looking for a decently priced full on replacement set of mirrors.