Power steering belt won’t stay tight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hfaber329

Reaction score
Ram Year
1989 d100
Engine
Hey guys I’ve got an 89 d100 5.2 and my power steering belt is constantly getting loose. I’ll tighten it up and crank down on the bolt and after driving a little while she’ll start to squeal. Then same routine tighten then squeal. I don’t notice if the belt is getting stretched or if the pump is sliding forward. Either way just curious if anyone else deals with this?

Also curious if anyone has done a magnum head swap and intake kit for the tbi and what kind of performance gains you’ve gotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
magnum head swap will require, obviously magnum heads with rocker/valve/spring assembly, oil through lifters - I believe plain old magnum lifters should work, oil through pushrods, magnum head bolts and a new intake manifold for a magnum. possibly cams if you don't already have rollers in your 85. although I've heard the 84 and newer 318s were roller LA motors.

there's claims of 40-70 hp gains at the crank for the swap.

OP
OP
H

hfaber329

Reaction score
Ram Year
1989 d100
Engine
magnum head swap will require, obviously magnum heads with rocker/valve/spring assembly, oil through lifters - I believe plain old magnum lifters should work, oil through pushrods, magnum head bolts and a new intake manifold for a magnum. possibly cams if you don't already have rollers in your 85. although I've heard the 84 and newer 318s were roller LA motors.

there's claims of 40-70 hp gains at the crank for the swap.

Yes my motor is a roller motor. I’ve heard the stock springs and rockers on the magnum will work. I’m looking at scavenging from a 5.9 magnum at my local salvage yard. Found a set off a 96 van 5.9 for 75 per. I know I will have to possibly change rods. I would like to up the cam a little while doing this. Would be nice to get almost 300 at the crank.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes my motor is a roller motor. I’ve heard the stock springs and rockers on the magnum will work. I’m looking at scavenging from a 5.9 magnum at my local salvage yard. Found a set off a 96 van 5.9 for 75 per. I know I will have to possibly change rods. I would like to up the cam a little while doing this. Would be nice to get almost 300 at the crank.

if you are going to a 'pick and pull', grab the rods when you grab the heads. Depending on how old the motor is, you'll want to do a quick valve job and get some new springs. Keeping things simple, just use OEM spec springs, pretty cheap.

I would say you could just get a set of 1998 Durango Melling cams. if you look at the specs, they were the most 'aggressive' stock roller cams. with magnum heads and maybe an edelbrock air gap intake, you should be close to 300 hp. when you start playing with aggressive cams, you then have to look at new springs, possibly a new set of rockers that are higher ratio and possibly new oil pump gear. most aftermarket cams are not 'hardened' and won't play well with the hardened oil pump gear.

really depends on how much $$$ you want to throw at your project. on the cheap, heads and a new intake will get you good results. once you go beyond that $$$, you start wondering if you're getting into hemi swap territory. incidentally, Holley makes a hemi swap kit for D150s....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf