Power Steering Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi Everybody. I have 2013 Dodge Ram with the Hemi. I was in the driveway this morning and my power steering went out. I read somewhere that the PS fuse is locaed on the possitive battery terminal. It looks like I have 2 fuses there. Can anyone tell me which (if either) is the Power Steering fuse? I also looked for power steering fuse on the main fuse panel and founf that fuse 82 has a 10amp fuse labeled Steering Column. I checked that one and it is good. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Fuses.jpg
    Fuses.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 24

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Everybody. I have 2013 Dodge Ram with the Hemi. I was in the driveway this morning and my power steering went out. I read somewhere that the PS fuse is locaed on the possitive battery terminal. It looks like I have 2 fuses there. Can anyone tell me which (if either) is the Power Steering fuse? I also looked for power steering fuse on the main fuse panel and founf that fuse 82 has a 10amp fuse labeled Steering Column. I checked that one and it is good. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Maybe it's just me, but I would start by cleaning up those connections. A crappy connection can cause all kinds of problems.

OP
OP
Gladrich

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So there are 2 fuses. One is 120AMP and the 180AMP. I suspected the 120AMP so I bypassed it and the power steering alarm light didn't come on again. So I cleaned all the terminals (thanks 04fxdwgi !) I took it for a drive and it was okay for the most part. Now when I slow way down 2 or 3 MPH and make a hard turn ..say to the right, the steering wheel sometimes jerk back to the left a little bit and the becomes hard to steer for a few seconds. Called my machanic who said he didn't know what would cause that. So, not sure whats next.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thought, I would be really fast on a hunt to find a replacement fuse. I would not run bypassed, because if something arcs through, you may have some issues, and burn out your EPS system. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Gladrich

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
After further testing. When I am sitting still and turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, as soon as I hit the stopping point the steering wheel jerks hard in the other dirction. Any thoughts?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope yours is something simple did you try testing the battery alternator ect? when my battery started to fail few months back things got wacky did have some steering issues. I would also check the connections going to the rack its self could be dirty.
I guess hopefully never but if mine fails looks like im going to be the first person to make a write up on converting back to regular old non electric steering I looked all over cant understand why no one has done it.. no way will i ever pay 2-3k for any rack. I priced it out the other day looks like it can be done for about 7-800 in parts the frame is the same everything 'should' bolt right up looks prty simple.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After further testing. When I am sitting still and turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, as soon as I hit the stopping point the steering wheel jerks hard in the other dirction. Any thoughts?
Perhaps there is a re-calibration proceedure that now needs to be completed. I, personally, have not researched that, but it is just a suggestion.

J-Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had my power steering shut off doing 70mph on a straight stretch of highway. Thankfully, I was going straight at the time, but it was a bear to drive the last 30 minutes of the trip. Tried all connections and the fuse. All looks good, so I'm expecting it to be the EPS module. There was a recall a few years ago for the same issue impacting certain serial numbers. I'm sure there is a lot more impacted. Hopefully, NHTSA issues a recall soon. Seems to be getting pretty common with these 2013-2016 Ram 1500s. Definitely a safety concern.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had my power steering shut off doing 70mph on a straight stretch of highway. Thankfully, I was going straight at the time, but it was a bear to drive the last 30 minutes of the trip. Tried all connections and the fuse. All looks good, so I'm expecting it to be the EPS module. There was a recall a few years ago for the same issue impacting certain serial numbers. I'm sure there is a lot more impacted. Hopefully, NHTSA issues a recall soon. Seems to be getting pretty common with these 2013-2016 Ram 1500s. Definitely a safety concern.

That's a good thing you were travelling relatively in a straight line.

And welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

OP
OP
Gladrich

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thought I had posted this yesterday but it seems to have dissapeared. I hate when I read a thread like this and the person who started thread never comes back and tells what the solution was. So... I finally took it to my machanic and told him everything I had done. 2 hours later he called and said it was fixed. I had taken all the cables and fuses off and cleaned everything up with baking soda and sandpaper and it got better after that but still ****** back on me when I turned the wheel all the way left or right. Well he took everything off again and cleaned everything with a wire wheel right down to the copper and that solved the problem. Guess I didin't do a good enough job. $80 lesson learned. Thanks for all the input!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500