Powered retract running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I installed the AMP steps on my 2019 2500 last December and I love the steps but HATE their instructions and customer service. No one else has mentioned it here so maybe they’ve corrected the problem, but my instructions were wrong. (They acknowledged this) Short story is one of the wire plug ins under the dash has to go to a specific spot, not any unused opening as the instructions say. Took four calls and part of a day before someone could give me the necessary information to correct the problem, with the previous “help” being wrong information. Now, eight months later, I’ve not had any issue with them and while costly, I would still recommend them.

I also installed their rear step to make getting into the truck bed easier. It has a bigger pad than the OEM one to step on which comes in handy when using it to climb out of the bed and it’s worked great.

Last edited:

John Sparano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi6.1
I was in the auto accessory business. I installed 2 sets for customers The 1st set had no issues. The 2nd set was on a pickup that snow plowed . After 4 years one of the gear boxes on the steps was filled with sand.I have forgotten what side but it was the side with the cover facing forward. I replaced that side and one year later the othered failed.At the time they had plastic cover over the gears.I don't know if they have corrected that issue.i liked the quality and they were very strong even for a 250lb guy.I would buy them again but would silicon seal the top 3/4 of the cover if it is still weak plastic

RidgebackBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have a short wife. I needed a solution. So, I added power steps to my 2019 RAM Laramie. I researched a lot and finally went with the RAM factory retractable boards. They integrate with the truck's software and are high quality (use the interface to bypass automatic and manually extend and retract. Good for when washing the truck or you want the boards to stay retracted). The cost was comparable with third party boards. The install was relatively straight forward however the instructions relied on icons rather than narrative text. All ok but there were a few steps that were not perfectly clear. If you go this route, let me know and I will tell you where the two steps are that caused me trouble. Another issue is that once they are installed, you need to go to the dealer to program the steps which is five minute deal. I would recommend that you negotiate that cost of programming when ordering the boards from the dealer. My local dealer ***** me on the programming charge and, really, I had my truck back five minutes after they took it. The boards are great and it was the right choice for me but I am still pissed at the programming charge. Good luck.

PJRNM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Amp Research boards that connect to the OBD port installed by a local shop. They were too expensive for me to attempt the install.

Worth every penny, wouldn't go without them in the future, there when I need them, out of the way when I don't.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are what I’ll be putting on my 2017. I got everything, including parts to build the harness, for $1200. If I can get the radio settings for them to work on the 2017, it’ll be a bonus.

Please do a write up when you get things going

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jerboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500
Engine
I wish they made them for a reg cab.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m surprised no one has suggested the Mopar factory powered steps. They’re only about $1400 and have the Ram logo on them. That’s what I installed after I got my 2019 and I love them.

FWIW I bought my 2020 Laramie new, factory ordered, as recently as JAN 2020, and the Mopar retractable steps were NOT available for after-purchase. According to my dealer svc dept they could not order them as a separate item and can only be put on Rams as part of the manufacturing process. On my own I couldn't find em retail anywhere either, is why I even asked the dealer.

(I didn't get them at ordering because I didn't like the "package" group it forced me into, and I thought 'I'll just order them separately later on after I take delivery'. So much for that....)

Please definitely someone reply with honest credible no-BS certainty that the Mopar retractable steps can in fact be gotten as a standalone "part" after purchasing the truck. I would love some of those. Not the static ones, but the RETRACTABLE mopar ones. For a 2020 with large cab and small bed.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I was just on the allmoparparts website, there is no mention of the power retractable steps. Unless Benny @AllMoparParts.com can say otherwise, seems like it's not available as an add-on.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
FWIW I bought my 2020 Laramie new, factory ordered, as recently as JAN 2020, and the Mopar retractable steps were NOT available for after-purchase. According to my dealer svc dept they could not order them as a separate item and can only be put on Rams as part of the manufacturing process. On my own I couldn't find em retail anywhere either, is why I even asked the dealer.

(I didn't get them at ordering because I didn't like the "package" group it forced me into, and I thought 'I'll just order them separately later on after I take delivery'. So much for that....)

Please definitely someone reply with honest credible no-BS certainty that the Mopar retractable steps can in fact be gotten as a standalone "part" after purchasing the truck. I would love some of those. Not the static ones, but the RETRACTABLE mopar ones. For a 2020 with large cab and small bed.
Yes, for the 5th gen 1500s, there is absolutely a mopar kit to add them, and the dealer can add the sales code. Part number for the DT kit- 82215287AC For the 2019+ HDs, there is no kit available, but you can buy the parts and build the harness. I told a member on another forum how to add them on an HD, and he successfully installed them, built the harness, and enabled them with AlfaOBD.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes, for the 5th gen 1500s, there is absolutely a mopar kit to add them, and the dealer can add the sales code. Part number for the DT kit- 82215287AC For the 2019+ HDs, there is no kit available, but you can buy the parts and build the harness. I told a member on another forum how to add them on an HD, and he successfully installed them, built the harness, and enabled them with AlfaOBD.

What is the "HD" and "DT" mean?