Prefab box 2 12" - under seat help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys. I have a prefab box w 2 fosgate 12's, not shallow subs. Some notes hit great while other are distorted. Can anything be done to help on the lower bass notes? My thought is that it's struggling for air space

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
have you lifted the seets and play it to see if you get the same sound? did you play with the gain on the amp ? eq ?

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have you lifted the seets and play it to see if you get the same sound? did you play with the gain on the amp ? eq ?

I have lifted the seat. No change in output. I haven't played much with the amp gains. I've been told it's due to using my RA3 deck

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
I have lifted the seat. No change in output. I haven't played much with the amp gains. I've been told it's due to using my RA3 deck

ahh yea ok.. amp is connected via speaker hilo taps right? i hate that.. new headunit with rca connections a proper onboard eq will help a whole lot...

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ahh yea ok.. amp is connected via speaker hilo taps right? i hate that.. new headunit with rca connections a proper onboard eq will help a whole lot...

That's what I figured. Good excuse for nav lol

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
That's what I figured. Good excuse for nav lol

Don’t buy a Nav specific radio if you use either iPhone or android. Save 100’s and get an Apple play or android radio ready head unit. Nav is there and always updated.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hey guys. I have a prefab box w 2 fosgate 12's, not shallow subs. Some notes hit great while other are distorted. Can anything be done to help on the lower bass notes? My thought is that it's struggling for air space
We need a bit more info to help. Elaborate on how it sounds. What makes you think you're hearing distortion? Are the subs reaching their mechanical limit? Kind of a farting/popping sound?
You asked for help on lower notes...are the low notes where you are hearing the distorted sounds? Do the low notes have little output versus higher frequencies?
Also, what RF subs are they specifically? And what's the details of the prefab box? Is it a sealed box (I am assuming so)? Do you know the internal volume of the box?
Your headunit may be handcuffing the performance yes, but there are other factors that could be involved. What amp are you running and how many watts is it providing to each sub?
You could be correct, they could very well be starving for more air space, you could also have some minor leaks (if it is a sealed box) especially where the subs are mounted to the baffle. I have heard awesome subs sound like complete s**t simply because there were VERY small leaks around the sub itself. Willing to help, just need info

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what box, what amp, what series subs, what is the xovers set at, subsonic filter?

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to scrap my initial JL stealth plan.... Ended up with this... Its massive and it does sound pretty good. Subs suspension is still super tight so I'm expecting noticable difference when it does loosen.67388a73f428697121e20a1acb8fa20a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also if you got one of those generic a trend box's ... They are not very stiff and are sort of crap. I've tried several different model and brands and nothing works in them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what box, what amp, what series subs, what is the xovers set at, subsonic filter?

Generic box, [2] 12" fosgate p1 subs, no covers, factory deck, renegade 2 channel 1000 watt amp

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Generic box, [2] 12" fosgate p1 subs, no covers, factory deck, renegade 2 channel 1000 watt amp

P1’s are not going to dig deep, they don’t have the excursion, the prefab box is probably ok for those but it might be a problem with real power. The amp also not a great choice but a budget can add up quick.

First place I’d start is the amp, without clean power and control you have nothing. You can always turn an amp down, but never higher than its output rating if it ever gets there.

What box, please link it and we can do more for you