Protecting back up sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm not sure why Ram decided to put the back up sensors where they are instead of flush mounting higher up on the bumper, but it leaves me a bit concerned that a failure in judgement on departure angle could leave me with busted sensors. Is anyone drilling the bumper and refitting them higher, and if so does that cause any issues? Alternately, is anyone just using one of those hitch installed skid plate things to give extra protection? If so, which one?

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Supreme Suspension makes a trailer hitch skid similar to the one made by retired. It works and won't set off the rear sensors. Under Body Armor also makes one but it will set off the rear sensors because it is too big.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Interesting that they moved them lower like that. On my '17 they are much higher in the bumper...which has its own drawbacks, as that lets them sit in compacted snow/ice in the winter, which CAN (happened to me) let water seep past the seals and crack the housing, leading to failed sensors.

Seems like putting them lower puts them more in line with the spray, and as you note leaves them more susceptible to being damaged by everything else.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
@2003F350 , if you can post a picture showing your sensor locations I may just break out the drill and move mine. I’ve a suspicion they won’t work properly if anything moves, and I’m certain the dealer will not be of any assistance recalibrating them (assuming it’s even possible). But I don’t really value them anyway, that’s what the rear camera is for.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@2003F350 , if you can post a picture showing your sensor locations I may just break out the drill and move mine. I’ve a suspicion they won’t work properly if anything moves, and I’m certain the dealer will not be of any assistance recalibrating them (assuming it’s even possible). But I don’t really value them anyway, that’s what the rear camera is for.
20220903_090044.jpg
This is on my 16 if you zoom in you can see the black sensors on the rear bumper.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Here is a picture of the Supreme sSuspensions hitch skid. It came with a recovery point for a D ring. The tow point is drilled for a 7/8th inch pin which can be hard to find so if you are looking at this order it with the 7/8 pinned Dring included.IMG_7519.JPG

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Supreme Suspension makes a trailer hitch skid similar to the one made by retired. It works and won't set off the rear sensors. Under Body Armor also makes one but it will set off the rear sensors because it is too big.

I ordered one. They have a 12% off code right now on their website. With no offer code, they are actually cheaper through their ebay store than their website.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a picture of the Supreme sSuspensions hitch skid. It came with a recovery point for a D ring. The tow point is drilled for a 7/8th inch pin which can be hard to find so if you are looking at this order it with the 7/8 pinned Dring included.View attachment 509424
Is that recovery point just welded to the top? That looks super sketch, I've seen welded recovery points just rip right off.

grimmecm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ive had this same concern since day 1. Anyone thought/tried to drill holes higher into the bumper and relocate them? It been on my mind, but I'm a coward and would prefer not to be first.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Here is a picture of the Supreme sSuspensions hitch skid. It came with a recovery point for a D ring. The tow point is drilled for a 7/8th inch pin which can be hard to find so if you are looking at this order it with the 7/8 pinned Dring included.View attachment 509424

What sleeve are you using to adapt the 2.5" receiver down to 2"

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My pickup came with a sleeve from the factory that is aluminum. It was in the storage bin behind the drivers seat.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
My pickup came with a sleeve from the factory that is aluminum. It was in the storage bin behind the drivers seat.

Hmm, I don't think I have one. I picked up one at Lowes to try, but I'm returning the Supreme Suspension hitch armor. It's pretty loose, measures 1.958" with my calipers and it noticeably wobbly in the sleeve. To eliminate the issue being the sleeve I tried it in my son's 2" receiver and it was wobbly in there as well. I'm afraid it's going to be a source of rattles plus I didn't care for the way the recovery point is welded on once I got it in my hands. I'll have to try something else.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have never noticed a rattle with mine. I looked at some of the anti rattle trailer hitch devises but none fit because the hitch is mounted so close to the bumper. For a recover point you can pull it out use a style you like. I have tried others but they are bigger and trigger the back up sensors when backing up.