Pulsar/pedal commander opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This question is for those of you running a pc and a pulsar. I have some amazon gift cards that I’ve been saving. Right now I can basically buy a pc without coming out of pocket. Or buy a pulsar and come out of pocket about $185. I do plan on getting both eventually, but if you had the choice what one would you go with first? I know this is personal preference but I’d like to hear what you guys who have experience with both think. Thanks!

j517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to get pulsar that way I can turn off that 4 cylinder crap

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TJames

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am going to get pulsar that way I can turn off that 4 cylinder crap

From what I have read on the forum here the way the Pulsar shuts down the MDS isnt that great. Sounds like when the MDS kicks in, the pulsar will spike the RPMs a bit to turn it back off. This apparently results in a weird noise (burp? lol) from the engine everytime the MDS kicks on and off. Regardless I obviously havent installed a Pulsar yet so I cant attest to it from personal experience. This is coming from individuals on here that have some decent miles ran using the Pulsar. The shift button "trick" seems to be the best solution thus far to deactivate MDS, minus an actual tuner.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you had to choose 1 I would choose the Pedal Commander. It gives you more seat of the pants feel and the adjust ability is great. The difference it makes for every day drive ability is well worth it

OP
OP
TJames

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you had to choose 1 I would choose the Pedal Commander. It gives you more seat of the pants feel and the adjust ability is great. The difference it makes for every day drive ability is well worth it
Thanks for the feedback Nick!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the feedback Nick!

I second that response!!
Bought a pc 4 months after purchase, what a kik in the pants!! Mine is the non bluetooth one(read old) and works flawlessly. No fiddling with phone, just reach down and "pump up the jam" lol
I now have both pc and pulsar, it is a GREAT combo imo in lue of a custom tune.
Pulsar, for lack of a better term, pulses in non mds settings. Not real bad but is noticeable so I set wheel button to 8 and all good

OP
OP
TJames

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I second that response!!
Bought a pc 4 months after purchase, what a kik in the pants!! Mine is the non bluetooth one(read old) and works flawlessly. No fiddling with phone, just reach down and "pump up the jam" lol
I now have both pc and pulsar, it is a GREAT combo imo in lue of a custom tune.
Pulsar, for lack of a better term, pulses in non mds settings. Not real bad but is noticeable so I set wheel button to 8 and all good
Thanks this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! How long did it take you to add the pulsar after you installed the pc?

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pulsar install is probably 25 min with 10 of those reading instructions and taking my time with the electric harness connections.
Took in to dealer 2 weeks ago and it was a 10 min swap.
Airbox is the biggest obstacle so I made room.....

20181204_121307.jpg

OP
OP
TJames

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pulsar install is probably 25 min with 10 of those reading instructions and taking my time with the electric harness connections.
Took in to dealer 2 weeks ago and it was a 10 min swap.
Airbox is the biggest obstacle so I made room.....

View attachment 163126
Doesnt seem too difficult. Vararam looks good, considered one of those as well but heard the construction left a little to be desired. Performance seems to speak for itself though.

I appreciate the info, I think I didn't clearly ask my actual question though haha
Once you installed your pc, how long did you wait until you purchased a pulsar? I feel like I'm going to want to have both installed sooner than later.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doesnt seem too difficult. Vararam looks good, considered one of those as well but heard the construction left a little to be desired. Performance seems to speak for itself though.

I appreciate the info, I think I didn't clearly ask my actual question though haha
Once you installed your pc, how long did you wait until you purchased a pulsar? I feel like I'm going to want to have both installed sooner than later.

Oh, lol. Well when I bought the pc the pulsar wasnt out yet so I ran the pc alone for probably 6-9 months at least. But Im old and my time memory is crappy...lol

j517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok pulled the trigger on the PC. After reading all the issues with the pulsar. Wow it is great no codes no major issues.

The only issue was with the bluetooth connection with uconnect with my phone. Deleted phone and reconnect it. I had to put truck in the lowest setting entry mode it didn't want to go back up as I was driving at 40 mph[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] it was kind of koo looowwwwwweredddd 1500. Put it on off road 2 and I was hoping it stay but it went to aeromode. It may have been a fluke once issue or what ever I still love the PC so far.

Major issue with the PC it makes the truck so fun to drive you will pass home and go cruise just for shots and giggles. Another issue since you are so much cruising you will definatly waste more gas[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]. Gots to pay to play

512RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
100% agree!

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For a few dollars more you could reprogram your computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk