Purchasing a extended warranty, yes / no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Who currently has the best deal on Factory Mopar warranties? Also are there any discount codes for paid in full?
Be careful of the third party vendors and third party markup. I got mine through Mopar. There's always a deal to be had, you just have to dig a little...

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Be careful of the third party vendors and third party markup. I got mine through Mopar. There's always a deal to be had, you just have to dig a little...

Thanks for the heads up! I would never buy a vehicle warranty from anyone other than the manufacturer. I was just wondering about Ziegler, Chrysler warranty direct or whoever else might be out there selling the maxcare warranty. At one point in time there was a discount code for paying full that was worth between $250 + $450 When you entered it. I'm at 22000 miles and I know the price is going to go up a few hundred if I hit 24000.

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As already stated. A lot of threads on this topic where you can get perspectives from so many people that might help you decide. You have balance of factory warranty, correct? That helps. My personal opinion already shared elsewhere is that they are designed to be money makers for the underwriting company no matter which one. I never buy them.
I second this. They will do everything possible to get out of servicing anything under them. Save the money is my opinion.

PapaCap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
3.0 liter eco-diesel
With all the electronic stuff on modern vehicles, some out of warranty repairs could be spendy. Realize you typically only hear problem stories about extended and/or aftermarket warranties.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
It's insurance.

They're betting nothing goes wrong. You're betting something does go wrong, and it will save you money.

Insurance companies make billions from fear.

You're paying for problems before they ever happen. Up front.

Pass.

Yes, everything you said is true. And I'm paying for something I might never need. But the peace of mind is priceless!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I didn't buy one on my 2001 Dakota and wished I had. I bought one for my wife's 2002 Liberty and never needed it. Both my '14 Ram and my wife's '18 Subaru got one. Haven't needed either... yet...

-K

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
It's insurance.

They're betting nothing goes wrong. You're betting something does go wrong, and it will save you money.

Insurance companies make billions from fear.

You're paying for problems before they ever happen. Up front.

Pass.

^^^This! Insurance companies get rich by collecting premiums, not paying out claims.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hope this thread doesn't devolve into last years "buying insurance is stupid debate". Its a discussion that doesn't end well.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I think that's the catch, you really have to read the fine print. Don't have documentation of X-service interval performed by an authorized technician before the required mileage? Bzzzt, warranty invalidated.

yl1cwPH.jpg
Defense! UH UH!

You got that right bro. Screw lifetime warranty and the dealership that has them.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I think it all depends on expected use. Example: I drive my trucks an average of 8 years with average milage in that time. So I usually get at least an 8 year warranty extension. So far it's paid for itself many times over. Only time I didn't get one for my wife's SUV, that repair cost us a ton. Mechanical things just break down, so you pay now or later. With me paying now means I get to roll the cost into my loan on the vehicle.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I always get one. Current is Mopar 5yrs unlimited miles. It was expensive but like previously mentioned if I do trade in prorated amount goes to down payment of new vehicle. Piece of mind for me since it is a business truck.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I bought on via my credit union for my 2020 Ram 3500. Just too much electronics not to. IWS is who I used. I have two friends who have used them without issue. IWS authorized repairs at RAM dealer, using RAM parts without issues.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It’s all a gamble. I’ve had trucks with it and never had repairs that came close to making it a wise investment. If you pamper it and don’t put on a lot of miles, I’d lean against the warranty, but that’s just me.

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Warranty’s are especially important with Diesel trucks. My son-in-law just had an exhaust repair covered by warranty, almost 5000.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
While I don't buy them, I think I might be rethinking that if I bought a fully loaded vehicle. As stated just above a high amount of electronics (or other options) increases the chances of something breaking. Bad experiences with motorhomes (double problems since it is your tow vehicle and your living space) have guided me to buy basic vehicles. That has worked for me and by not buying warranties I am far ahead. This forum is full of discussion where the extra warranty was a very smart purchase, so it really comes down to what your perceived risk is and what you feel the best mitigation path is. There really is no right or wrong answer. But the opportunity to share experiences here can help someone make the best informed decision.

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Vehicle warranty insurance is a gamble. You might need it or you might not, yet it's odds are less than 50/50 if you believe in a pragmatic percent decision. The companies offering the warranties are making a profit. Some folks purchase the insurance because they fear an expansive breakdown. Others, like me, favor the odds and never purchase extra warranties on any product. To each his own and it matters not what others do.

Iiplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
102K TIPM module for fuel pump re-engineering to prevent spending $1K at dealership
138K rebuild engine - cam lobes flat spot
Machined heads upgraded valve springs
Replaced timing assembly
Replaced manifold bolts
Currently 159K miles