Purchasing a extended warranty, yes / no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Oh yeah on the "lifetime" warranties (had on the Jeeps), IIRC every 50k miles you HAVE to take it to the dealer to keep the warranty running.

I think what you're talking about is the "free" lifetime powertrain warranty from 2007 - about 2011(??) Where you had to go in every x miles so they could find issues early on. That requirement isn't in the purchased lifetime warranties.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never purchased one. That includes televisions, appliances, vehicles, outboards, everything. They are not worth it, and if you add up the thousands I've saved over the years by never getting one, it would more than pay for any repair that would have been covered. They are offered because they are a huge moneymaker for them. If they thought the average person would get their money back, they wouldn't sell them.

That doesn't mean there haven't been cases where someone received coverage that exceeded what they had paid into it, but those are quite rare. Think about it - you get an extended warranty, never use it, and forget about it until you buy the next car. But then if you use one even once, that is the one you'll remember.

Ruggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I did get it re 7 years or 160,000. I got the life time oil change freeso see if you can get it to include. I, got it because of piece of mind basically. The parts and electronics are expensive especially Alpine Sound System lol. Love playing music in my truck.

MT Hillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
everybody has their own story. I had a non fca extended warranty. when I had a blown strut, they would only cover the cost of replacing one, not both sides.. IN my opinion, that could lead to unsafe handling. So I canceled the warranty, and used the money I saved to buy fox shocks all around, and a lift. If an engine blows... it paid for its self! Just remember, they ARE making money.. NOT loosing money, so.. more people pay than get paid.

Ervin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when you buy insurance or warranty, you are betting against yourself. you probably have a 60,000 mile drive train warranty. so if you buy one, find out what all it covers ( usually not bumper to bumper) and how much do you pay every time you bring it in.

JOSIAH SCOTT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dont buy the warranty ! SELL THE TRUCK! If not buy the warranty you are gonna need it! The 6 speed Transmission is garbage. It's a dog. HORRIBLE DOG!!
I have owned the 2018 PW. Tranny blew at 55,000 . I shed it for a 2019 PW
There is a reason Ram changed to the German ETF 8 speed tranny in 2019.
This 8 Speed transmission feels like I have 40 more horsepower it's so smooth!
SirRoyal

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Concerning, the extended warranty, YES get one and the reason why is a solid piece of mind in knowing you have it, and most Dealership’s want people with current warranties in place. So far as keeping an accurate record for claim purposes that will apply to the starting date and mileage of the warranty coverage date. If you buy a used vehicle with 50,000 miles on it then the warranty would go from that mileage on etc....So no matter what always try to keep a warranty in place and (as I do) keep every receipt for everything you spend on the vehicle and make sure all the manufacturer’s suggested maintenance intervals (done by you or a certified mechanic) are followed for the time you own it.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Several years ago, when the EW thread popped up, it seemed like it was primarily myself that opposed them. I got called every bad thing guys could think of.

But eventually a few of you guys started to speak up and carry the load for me. Now a lot of guys are helping out. Thank you.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dont buy the warranty ! SELL THE TRUCK! If not buy the warranty you are gonna need it! The 6 speed Transmission is garbage. It's a dog. HORRIBLE DOG!!
I have owned the 2018 PW. Tranny blew at 55,000 . I shed it for a 2019 PW
There is a reason Ram changed to the German ETF 8 speed tranny in 2019.
This 8 Speed transmission feels like I have 40 more horsepower it's so smooth!
SirRoyal
Lots of Rams are on the road with the 6 speed with no issues. And the main reason they went for an 8 speed was to find any way to improve mileage as Rams were considered to be the worst truck on the road for mpg and Dodge knew it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lots of Rams are on the road with the 6 speed with no issues. And the main reason they went for an 8 speed was to find any way to improve mileage as Rams were considered to be the worst truck on the road for mpg and Dodge knew it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
I will say that I have been paying attention to any discussion on the 6 speed transmission since that is what I have in my 2500 I bought new in October. Not discounting that others might have had trouble but I would also assume there would be a pinned thread if it was a issue impacting a majority of the people here. Don't want to hijack this thread with a transmission discussion, just that deciding to buy a warranty can be impacted by a known major issue.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
If you don't have the capability or time to do your own repairs, a warranty might make sense, otherwise, no thanks!

If you have the dealer do your front axle brakes and they charge you $200 (and just change your pads), get the warranty. If you order a set of pads for $40 from Rock auto and replace them yourself, then don't get an extended warranty...

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
If you don't have the capability or time to do your own repairs, a warranty might make sense, otherwise, no thanks!

If you have the dealer do your front axle brakes and they charge you $200 (and just change your pads), get the warranty. If you order a set of pads for $40 from Rock auto and replace them yourself, then don't get an extended warranty...
Warranties don't cover brake pads (maybe you were just using that as an example of common maintenance?). What about the bigger stuff that the bumper to bumper covers? A major repair could run upwards of $1000 in parts and labor. If someone drives their truck a lot and keeps it long term, it might be worth it when your factory 3/36 runs out. For me, it wasn't an extended warranty, it was re-upping my factory warranty when the original ran out. Wasn't that expensive and made sense.

Last edited:

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Warranties don't cover brake pads (maybe you were just using that as an example of common maintenance?). What about the bigger stuff that the bumper to bumper covers? A major repair could run upwards of $1000 in parts and labor. If someone drives their truck a lot and keeps it long term, it' might be worth it when your factory 3/36 runs out. For me, it wasn't an extended warranty, it was re-upping my factory warranty when the original ran out. Wasn't that expensive and made sense.
Just an example of someone's capabilities vs cost of having a dealership do the work.

Personally, I've done a few major repairs at 20-30% of what a dealership would charge, so that's the route I take.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Just an example of someone's capabilities vs cost of having a dealership do the work.

Personally, I've done a few major repairs at 20-30% of what a dealership would charge, so that's the route I take.
Yeah me too, although there are some things I won't do in my driveway on a creeper... I do like the repairs that force me to buy a tool I don't have...

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are threads here addressing it. If you do buy a warranty get an genuine FCA not one of the aftermarket ones. That said, DON'T buy it from your local dealer. There are a few dealers in the US that sell the same warranties at a huge discount and are honored at all dealerships. Do a search here.

I didn't see a link for the search in this post. Did I miss it, or was it just not there? If it didn't post, could you provide the link - or perhaps the URL?

Thanks

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think what you're talking about is the "free" lifetime powertrain warranty from 2007 - about 2011(??) Where you had to go in every x miles so they could find issues early on. That requirement isn't in the purchased lifetime warranties.

It was in the one I bought in 2014 with the Jeep. I almost the 5 yr inspection on both Jeeps

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Don't buy a CU insurance policy. Stay with FCA Chrysler.

Here' where to get the best deal:

Rodney Melton, Cell 517-306-0079
Chrysler Warranty Direct
888-352-6103
chryslerwarrantydirect.com
C. R. Motor Sales
518 S. Meridian Rd.
Hudson, MI 49247

2)
Here are quotes for Lifetime policy on 08/09/18.
No longer available but gives an idea of pricing:
1 - $2795 Clay Robbins(https://www.robbinscdjrf.com)
2 - $3045 Chrysler Warranty Direct (https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com)
3 - $3110 Zeigler Auto Group (http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/)
4 - $3331 Chrysler Warranty (https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com)
5 - $4195 MOPAR Service Plans (1-866-224-4953)

This info was posted on another thread by John Jensen.
Good luck.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my RAM but lets be honest here, quality wise FCA is still behind Ford and GM. My 2015 RAM which just turned 5 years old in April has 80K miles on it. So far it has had a new cam/lifters, two backup cameras, The overhead center console replaced for burnt out lights, 3rd rake light leak and bad exhaust manifold bolts. IMHO that's a lot of **** for 5 years and 80K miles. I sold it to my best friend exactly three years ago so all that happened to him and not me(all that stuff happened between 30-80K miles). I kept telling him to buy an extended warranty but he never did. Luckily most of that stuff happened while it was still under factory warranty.

Just as an example my previous truck is a 2001 Silverado Xcab with the 4.8 V8 and the 4L60e auto. I sold that truck with 169K on it and it was 15 years old and the only thing that had to be replaced on it was a power steering pump. That was it in 15 years and 169K miles. The guy I sold it to is still driving it and it has 225K miles on it. He has since replaced the heater core. Nothing has been done to the engine and transmission except regular maintenance.

I have been thinking about getting my wife a Jeep GC but I don't think it would go the full finance period without something screwing up. Also can I fix stuff when it breaks? YES. Do I want to fix stuff on a car that I'm still paying payments on? HELL NO.

I love the RAM for its ride and the sound of the HEMI which can be compared to no other truck out there. Yes I have the Lifetime Mopar warranty. I would be driving a different make if it wasn't available when I bought this truck after all those problems I mentioned in the first paragraph.

On a side note if you can pay cash for a $40,50K truck more power to you. If I had $50K in the bank I still wouldn't spend it on a truck that I got a 2% interest rate on. Just thought I would throw that in there for all you financial geniuses who have $50K to their name and would consider using it to pay cash for a truck.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my RAM but lets be honest here, quality wise FCA is still behind Ford and GM. My 2015 RAM which just turned 5 years old in April has 80K miles on it. So far it has had a new cam/lifters, two backup cameras, The overhead center console replaced for burnt out lights, 3rd rake light leak and bad exhaust manifold bolts. IMHO that's a lot of **** for 5 years and 80K miles. I sold it to my best friend exactly three years ago so all that happened to him and not me(all that stuff happened between 30-80K miles). I kept telling him to buy an extended warranty but he never did. Luckily most of that stuff happened while it was still under factory warranty.

Just as an example my previous truck is a 2001 Silverado Xcab with the 4.8 V8 and the 4L60e auto. I sold that truck with 169K on it and it was 15 years old and the only thing that had to be replaced on it was a power steering pump. That was it in 15 years and 169K miles. The guy I sold it to is still driving it and it has 225K miles on it. He has since replaced the heater core. Nothing has been done to the engine and transmission except regular maintenance.

I have been thinking about getting my wife a Jeep GC but I don't think it would go the full finance period without something screwing up. Also can I fix stuff when it breaks? YES. Do I want to fix stuff on a car that I'm still paying payments on? HELL NO.

I love the RAM for its ride and the sound of the HEMI which can be compared to no other truck out there. Yes I have the Lifetime Mopar warranty. I would be driving a different make if it wasn't available when I bought this truck after all those problems I mentioned in the first paragraph.

On a side note if you can pay cash for a $40,50K truck more power to you. If I had $50K in the bank I still wouldn't spend it on a truck that I got a 2% interest rate on. Just thought I would throw that in there for all you financial geniuses who have $50K to their name and would consider using it to pay cash for a truck.
Not defending FCA but anything made in 01 is going to be better built than something made in 15. 14 years of cost cutting, material cheapening, etc takes its toll.

My 11 g37 has about 40k miles on it...a few years ago when it had only about 30k (yes we don't drive it much at all) a suspension clunk showed up. Still there actually because I can't figure out what it is and the dealer gladly charged me a diagnostic fee to blame it on a cold air intake (smh).

Point being quality is getting worse by the year and over 14 years of that I bet ANYTHING will have issues that it shouldn't at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk