Put some wagner oex brake pads on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got 56k on my 2016, starting getting some brake squeal. Ordered wagner oex front and rear pads from rock auto, strange looking design, they have channels cut in. So far no noise and much better braking. Front pads had about 1/3 left, rear pads had 2/3, almost left em, but figured hell, I already got tools out and I'm dirty screw it. No regerts

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I got 56k on my 2016, starting getting some brake squeal. Ordered wagner oex front and rear pads from rock auto, strange looking design, they have channels cut in. So far no noise and much better braking. Front pads had about 1/3 left, rear pads had 2/3, almost left em, but figured hell, I already got tools out and I'm dirty screw it. No regerts

The channels are to dissipate heat, the ones I put on my wife's suv really do stop better, but we have anti lock brakes so that really determines stopping distance. I have had my oex pads on for a while, way less to zero dusting. My wife commutes daily and I haven't seen any brake dust in 6 mos. Do a brake fluid flush as well, but yeah I really like oex's myself.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
good brakes. have had oen of the pads fall off though. ticked me off.
Had to redo brakes again. think it was on the minvan.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you replace or cut the rotors? Replaced the brakes on mine at 52K front, 55K rear., Pads and rotors. Rotors were nasty, not really worn but rusted and nasty looking.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm at 51K, will probably replace before winter hits.
oex rotors are great, they e-coat the non pad surface so they don't rust out. I just washed the wife's car this morning, zero dusting with this brake. Since you are in NH, check your brake fluid I bet it is black even a 2018. Look at brake fluid with high boiling temp like redline, way better than oem junk fluids. 400f wet boiling temp and 600 dry boiling temp is a great fluid, see all that fit in that category, just look at dot 4 fluids. Even though you wont need those temps, it is good for you 5 years from now when you have the same fluid in there, because you have a lot of room for that fluid to degrade a bit. The issue with most oem fluid, there is no room for fluid degrading.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty happy with my OEX pads and rotors, got about 21k on them now

stock pads and rotors made it to 89k and change, actually had a little life left but starting to shimmy just a tad and couldn’t resurface.....

I have to say, these things have super low dust. I commute to Atlanta (our traffic is ridiculous) and my truck also serves as Dad’s taxi so the brakes get a workout (plus I DRIVE my truck), the difference in dust from stock to these is very significant.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just turned over 65k and finally replaced my stock pads. They have been squealing since just after I bought the truck new. I knew they had meat on the pads, and checked them regularly, but they just always squealed. I finally got tired of listening to them and replaced them with the OEX pads. Holy cow what a difference! The performance of the OEX pads is night and day over stock. They stop so much better. I find myself having to really think about how I hit the brake pedal because they are quite grabby. And the squeal is completely gone. The stock pads still had plenty of life left, but they sucked for the full life of the truck.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
oex rotors are great, they e-coat the non pad surface so they don't rust out. I just washed the wife's car this morning, zero dusting with this brake. Since you are in NH, check your brake fluid I bet it is black even a 2018. Look at brake fluid with high boiling temp like redline, way better than oem junk fluids. 400f wet boiling temp and 600 dry boiling temp is a great fluid, see all that fit in that category, just look at dot 4 fluids. Even though you wont need those temps, it is good for you 5 years from now when you have the same fluid in there, because you have a lot of room for that fluid to degrade a bit. The issue with most oem fluid, there is no room for fluid degrading.

Thanks will definitely check that out.

Dice

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been really impressed with mine. Probably have about 25k on mine so far.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I probably could've went lot further, pad wear was uneven, one pad on the right rear was worn uneven. I reassembled with never seize on the pins, they were dry when I took it apart.

2016DarthRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I probably could've went lot further, pad wear was uneven, one pad on the right rear was worn uneven. I reassembled with never seize on the pins, they were dry when I took it apart.

I think there is a factory defect in the right (passenger) rear caliper, I also have a 2016 and experience brake squealing from that side. Also when I did my rear brakes also found that is also worn uneven and the slide pins were dry. Even after the new brake job it will squeal if I drive in stop and go traffic. Next time around im going to replace the caliper and see if that does the trick. My build date is 02-2016 im wondering if it was a bad batch of calipers from certain build dates, because only some 2016 ram owners experience the noisy brakes.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow that's interesting. I have a Mar 16 sport with the noisy brakes. I am planning to add pads soon. I still have a good amount on tears and a little, not much on fronts. You may be on to something with the 2016 brakes being an issue. Always something... why cant I hit the real lottery! Lol. Maybe I should start playing. Lol

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think there is a factory defect in the right (passenger) rear caliper, I also have a 2016 and experience brake squealing from that side. Also when I did my rear brakes also found that is also worn uneven and the slide pins were dry. Even after the new brake job it will squeal if I drive in stop and go traffic. Next time around im going to replace the caliper and see if that does the trick. My build date is 02-2016 im wondering if it was a bad batch of calipers from certain build dates, because only some 2016 ram owners experience the noisy brakes.

That's the brake assembly I had a problem with. Was going to rotate the tires shortly, will make a point to check the calipers for binding.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would be nice if a Ram cares Rep chimed in and researched to see if this is something that should be addressed by Ram directly. Coukd constituents an impending safety issue. If one brake is sticking/ wearing prematurely

2016DarthRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would be nice if a Ram cares Rep chimed in and researched to see if this is something that should be addressed by Ram directly. Coukd constituents an impending safety issue. If one brake is sticking/ wearing prematurely
Let us know what you find, and if you find any solution. I won’t be doing my brakes for a while (did them this past January).