PW Locker Problem Data Compilation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hfd376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bought the truck used in November. I've tried to lock just the rear, and both front and rear, about 4 times on a sandy gravel road for about a mile each time. Not much room to do figure 8's. Axels failed to lock each time. Hasn't been to the dealer yet.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's much easier to engage both the front and rear lockers on snow and ice than on a sandy gravel road. With an entire lack of traction its nearly instantaneous. Even in mud driving at walking speed several yards and/or backing up while turning seems to help, otherwise they might not engage. Just driving along at normal speed on a muddy and/or sandy gravel road might not engage them for miles.

Last edited:

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
Ram Cares

@RamCares I have a case with Uconnect open, haven't been any help, keep getting the...an update will be out next month only to get the same response the next month..... Case # 78173146. I don't want to hijacked this thread though.

Ecarr13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Bought my new 2021 power wagon last Friday and the service axle locker message came up on the way home from the dealership, was at less than 40 miles. Had to bring back to the dealership on Monday and leave it there for the day for diagnosis. The dealership needed to order a part that was on backorder so there are obviously a lot of people having issues. The dealer said it’s fine to drive and will just have to deal with the message coming on until they can fix it. Hopefully that is correct because I get the message multiple times when I drive the truck.

timber dealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 power wagon
Engine
177 k 2014 no problems just have to wiggle the steering a bit i have more trouble out of the sway bar its probably just slam full of mud

Matt ott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2016 powerwagon with 47k miles on and front locker always slow to lock, blinking light rear seem better, faster to lock but i found that drivind in loose dirt in a circle will usually lock the front quicker, if going in a straight line does not lock at all, just blinking light , changed gear oil and no help.

1pieceatatime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
2018 at 68k miles, have never had it fail to engage in >100 uses although have had some slow to engage times, typically if I haven't exercised them in a little while.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting I wonder when they switched because I know up until 16 it was Eaton

They list em for the power wagon back to 2003...which is odd because they didnt come out with the pw until 2005 (but maybe it still fits the non pw 2500’s I suppose).

They have been using aam since 2003, though...switching from dana.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They list em for the power wagon back to 2003...which is odd because they didnt come out with the pw until 2005 (but maybe it still fits the non pw 2500’s I suppose).

They have been using aam since 2003, though...switching from dana.
I know they used AAM as the axle manufacturer but I know for a fact up until 16 the factory lockers were made by Eaton. Ram even said so. They is interesting. I wonder if the PW was available overseas before here

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Axle Unlock blinked when I got it with 20 miles on the odometer. Now with 2,000 miles it seems that the Axle Unlock button quits flashing pretty regularly but not always. Tried to lock the rear the other day to get over a pile of snow into driveway, it would not lock. (Unless it is manufacture recommended to do figure 8s and stuff I am not satisfied that the locker won’t activate without doing this)

Dealer planned to replace the front sway bar part that has all the electronics for the lockers but it is backordered

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am pretty sure one of the restraints for the lockers is the truck must be moving less than 3mph or something like that.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I would assume that, was stopped when I tried mine

Yesterday, my rear locker engaged on ice while it was entirely stop on a highway grade. The front engaged immediately afterwards of which I might have been moving forward due I was pulling a Jeep back onto the highway.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 PW with 48,000. Lockers always worked as advertised but put an Able bypass in about 25,000 miles ago. Love the bypass as locking all 4 in 4WH works awesome for some of my applications. I changed the rear diff last weekend at 47,000 miles and will do the front this weekend.