Question for 4.88 guys with 35's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have talked to a dealer on doing my swap next week pending on how long it takes to get the gears in
I decided on the nitro 4.88 gear set
I know this subject has been beaten to death lately but i just want to confirm before i pulled the trigger on this big of job
They quoted me 1200 labor with 2 year 24000 miles warranty which i think is good
And could do it next week possibly
Anyways the tech called me to quiz me about going to such a low gear on this truck
Once i told him the info i had read about on this forum and that i had 35's he thought it better but still pretty low for highway use
My truck is a 2017 2500 4x4 with the 6.4 hemi
Any of y'all with the same truck running 4.88
Any regrets
Think it's too much gear for highway driving
Would you have chosen another gear if you had to do it again?
My understanding with the 488 i would be running roughly 2000rpm at 70-75 mph
That sounds good to me
These 373 with 35's have this thing constantly lugging down shifting and always into the throttle to get somewhere
All info appreciated from the fellas with this set up
I think it will be awesome
But anyone with time and miles on their 488
Do you still like them
I am hoping to get this done next week and am excited as hell
Just trying to make sure it's the right way to go
Thank you all for any info
Mike

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Well, put it into perspective with an rpm calculator...

35's, 3.73 @ 70 mph
3rd = 3534
4th = 2507
5th = 2080
6th = 1567

35's, 4.88 @ 70 mph
3rd = 5517
4th = 3279
5th = 2722
6th = 2050

So 4.88's in 6th gear is like driving around in 5th gear at 70 mph with your current set up. All the other hwy gears will be much stronger. 5th gear will pull stronger than what you feel in 4th right now and so forth for the remaining gears. Any hills you need 3rd gear for now you'll probably pull them in 4th, but if 4th don't work with the 4.88's you may be dropping a little speed to get off the rev limiter at 5600 rpm. 2nd gear will be the biggest change... looks like you can run over ~83 mph now with your current setup, going to 4.88's you'll only get 64 mph before your on the rev limiter. Maybe someone will tell me if I'm full of it or not....its Friday and I've had a few silver bullets... :)

Reuben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That’s not a bad price for a dealer either. I thought about re-gearing too since I installed 37s. After adjusting the speedo I personally don’t think it’s needed and I’m at 7000 ft. I also don’t tow much at all. I might tow in the near future but as of now I’m pretty happy. I’m losing so much power at this altitude that I’m used to it. I realize I have 410s so it probably feels like yours with 35s. But if I had the oxygen of Oklahoma I wouldn’t have any problems at all. Lol

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well, put it into perspective with an rpm calculator...

35's, 3.73 @ 70 mph
3rd = 3534
4th = 2507
5th = 2080
6th = 1567

35's, 4.88 @ 70 mph
3rd = 5517
4th = 3279
5th = 2722
6th = 2050

So 4.88's in 6th gear is like driving around in 5th gear at 70 mph with your current set up. All the other hwy gears will be much stronger. 5th gear will pull stronger than what you feel in 4th right now and so forth for the remaining gears. Any hills you need 3rd gear for now you'll probably pull them in 4th, but if 4th don't work with the 4.88's you may be dropping a little speed to get off the rev limiter at 5600 rpm. 2nd gear will be the biggest change... looks like you can run over ~83 mph now with your current setup, going to 4.88's you'll only get 64 mph before your on the rev limiter. Maybe someone will tell me if I'm full of it or not....its Friday and I've had a few silver bullets... :)

Excellent thank you
I am hoping he can get the parts soon i wanna get this done
With the 373 and 35 it feels like it's struggling all the time

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
That’s not a bad price for a dealer either. I thought about re-gearing too since I installed 37s. After adjusting the speedo I personally don’t think it’s needed and I’m at 7000 ft. I also don’t tow much at all. I might tow in the near future but as of now I’m pretty happy. I’m losing so much power at this altitude that I’m used to it. I realize I have 410s so it probably feels like yours with 35s. But if I had the oxygen of Oklahoma I wouldn’t have any problems at all. Lol

I don't pull a whole lot either
I just want the truck to quit lugging and down shifting constantly unless i drive in manual
I can't see it being good on the transmission
I had contacted several 4x4 shops and they were all north of 1700 labor with the best of 90 days warranty
I was surprised to hear what the dealer price was
Especially with 2 years warranty

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The guy at the dealer is a dummy.

Get 4.88’s.

And dont forget wind resistance will add a little RPM to your calculations as well.

Im on 35’s. At 80 mph in 6th gear im at like 2,500 rpm.

HEMI’s love high rpm’s.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
How much are you paying for the gears & installs?

Alligator Performance has 4.88 complete kits for $1325

https://www.alligatorperformance.co...ar-gear-package-for-13-15-dodge-ram-2500-3500

Thank you
I am not sure yet if they are going to supply them or i am.
Most of the shops told me if i bring them they won't warranty them so i told them to quote me their price
If they are to high I'll ask about warranty if i provide the gears
The other 5 shops If they had a warranty at all it was 90 days only if they provided the parts
Thank you for the link if i have to provide them i will use it

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My bet is the tech who called you has never driven one geared properly, call him back and ask him that. Because if he had he would never have called you to ask.
And after you do yours, he'll drive it, and there next time he calls somebody it'll be the one of us about to buy a 6-speed with factory gearing, and he'll be asking:
"Are you sure you really need to be able to go 90mph in second gear?" Lol that's funny

I bailed on a Max care warranty for my regear and I sure as hell am not going back.

I would NOT do it again tho, because Next time, The only thing thing I'd change is NOT paying $2500 for the lifetime warranty, stompn deal ya? Meh, not really. Lol

I'd do the regear again only way sooner!

Your plan is the right one, quit losing sleep and walking around with a gut ache, you're gonna dig it like no mod you've ever done before.

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My bet is the tech who called you has never driven one geared properly, call him back and ask him that. Because if he had he would never have called you to ask.
And after you do yours, he'll drive it, and there next time he calls somebody it'll be the one of us about to buy a 6-speed with factory gearing, and he'll be asking:
"Are you sure you really need to be able to go 90mph in second gear?" Lol that's funny

I bailed on a Max care warranty for my regear and I sure as hell am not going back.

I would NOT do it again tho, because Next time, The only thing thing I'd change is NOT paying $2500 for the lifetime warranty, stompn deal ya? Meh, not really. Lol

I'd do the regear again only way sooner!

Your plan is the right one, quit losing sleep and walking around with a gut ache, you're gonna dig it like no mod you've ever done before.

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

I gotcha not losing sleep just trying to gain all the info i can to be sure
When i told him about folks doing it and how they are happy with it he started saying sounds interesting
When i talked to him today he wants me to call and fill him in on it after i drive it awhile
Atleast he isn't close minded he just didn't want me to drop so much money on a project that sounded like such low gearing
I admit before scrolling through all these posts and taking to a few on here i would've thought 4.88 we crawling gears lol
I talked to him today but still haven't got quote on gears hopefully soon i am wanting to drive this thing geared right lol

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6.4 transmission is a carry over from the 6.7, has the same ratios and all, just different shift points. That may put a little more perspective on it for people wondering “ why a gear change “. That’s why the 6.4 hates being in 6th, but the 6.7 loves it.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I gotcha not losing sleep just trying to gain all the info i can to be sure
When i told him about folks doing it and how they are happy with it he started saying sounds interesting
When i talked to him today he wants me to call and fill him in on it after i drive it awhile
Atleast he isn't close minded he just didn't want me to drop so much money on a project that sounded like such low gearing
I admit before scrolling through all these posts and taking to a few on here i would've thought 4.88 we crawling gears lol
I talked to him today but still haven't got quote on gears hopefully soon i am wanting to drive this thing geared right lol
I hear ya, I know it was super difficult for me. It's a bit a cash and it's not quite the irreversible decision that having children is, but it's close. Both were two of the best I've ever made. Lol
It's actually pretty dang decent to think a dealership has your back, kudos to them.
Aug 2018 and I think my AAMs were $1300 for all parts. So ring and pinion and any install kits needed for both front and back diffs, fluids etc. Then another $1300 for labor, including a 12mnth/x mileage warranty.
The 500 mi break in period will test ones discipline and self control. I don't really want to discuss that part any further. Lol
What @Ratket says about the 6speed being a continuation from the 6.7l diesel is nuts. Flip'n FCA, shameful decision making.
If your close to Denver, you can test drive mine just so ya know your right.

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I hear ya, I know it was super difficult for me. It's a bit a cash and it's not quite the irreversible decision that having children is, but it's close. Both were two of the best I've ever made. Lol
It's actually pretty dang decent to think a dealership has your back, kudos to them.
Aug 2018 and I think my AAMs were $1300 for all parts. So ring and pinion and any install kits needed for both front and back diffs, fluids etc. Then another $1300 for labor, including a 12mnth/x mileage warranty.
The 500 mi break in period will test ones discipline and self control. I don't really want to discuss that part any further. Lol
What @Ratket says about the 6speed being a continuation from the 6.7l diesel is nuts. Flip'n FCA, shameful decision making.
If your close to Denver, you can test drive mine just so ya know your right.

Thank you sir
I agree it's a lot of cash he just happened to question me which i think is ok
But it put a little doubt in my mind i guess lol
I appreciate the offer to test yours but we are long ways to go for test drive Haha
I appreciate the input I'll update once it is done hopefully soon

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im amazed that the dealer would even offer to do the job. Ive never asked mine, and I never would, but I dont think they would do it for me.

If 37’s are ever a chance, you might even consider 5.13’s.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Im amazed that the dealer would even offer to do the job. Ive never asked mine, and I never would, but I dont think they would do it for me.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

37’s NEED 5.13’s!!!

35’s can even run 5.13’s.

Iv said it before and ill say it again and again. I went 4.88’s with my 35’s. It drives much better but if i could do it again i would go 5.13. I would have no issues driving 70mph max on the highway. But i like driving close to 2,500rpm.

Lesson leaned.

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I was surprised myself especially with 2 year warranty
Won't ever go 37's lo
I like the 35's

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem with lower gearing is the size of the pinion gets smaller and weaker. 5.13s are starting at that point.

True. But unless your breaking them, it dosnt really matter. And whos breaking them?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The problem with lower gearing is the size of the pinion gets smaller and weaker. 5.13s are starting at that point.

Have you seen the size of the pinion that goes into these huge rear ends.

I have no worries.

They are massive in relation to the truck. These differentials are overbuilt.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes I have, I have also seen the teeth on GM 14 bolts & Dana 60s stripped right off, the head of the pinion not being much bigger then the pinion stem, both axles of which are comparable
in size.