Question for 4.88 guys with 35's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well, got it back yet?

Yes i do lol
I am loving it so far i have about 300 miles so far but it's been so freaking windy it's hard to say on fuel mileage
I can tell you around town is phenomenal the mds kicks in constantly and lots of low end power
Haven't really got aggressive with it yet lol
I think the shop did a good job all in all
They were sending pics and talking with just diff to get the whine taken care of
There is still just a little but it seems to be quieting down or I'm getting used to it lol
Anything above 40 i can't hear it over my all terrain tires
On the highway cruise set at 70 I'm running 2200 rpm but like i said with wind i can't really tell on fuel mileage
For this 300 miles I'm averaging 13.2 by the dash I'll fill up today or tomorrow and hand calculate
I have an appointment Wednesday for 500 mile service and inspection
The shop did take a few days extra and finally got it done
The shop manager talked with me every day and kept me informed on what was going on
All in all
It was $1316 (i didn't bring enough oil)
Total and came with 2 year 24k warranty

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang, does that price include the gears? I got quoted $2400 to do mine by several shops around me.

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Dang, does that price include the gears? I got quoted $2400 to do mine by several shops around me.

No it is labor and warranty only
But they were the only shop within 100 miles that would offer that warranty
Most shops i talked to were 90 day or none at all
And if i supplied the gears none of them would warranty
This shop let me supply the gears and gave me the warranty and still came in cheaper then any other shop i talked to
This also let me save the dealer mark up on the gear set.
Plus in my mind if there was any trouble it will be easier to get it 18 miles from home than 100 lol
I am still close to 3k wherever i went but i liked the idea of a shop standing behind it for the next 2 years lol

Duckpopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just an FYI.

I ordered a ProCal from AEV and used it to set the 35 inch tire size and new gear ratio Of 4.88 in my Ram 3500. It made a big difference in the smoothness if shifting, shift points, and power delivery. ‘Noticeable immediately after using it, but even bigger improvement after driving the truck a couple days. I used the ProCal after driving the truck over 500 miles with the new gear change just to be sure the difference wasn’t just the truck learning how to drive once again with the gear change.

I’m sure whatever programmer you use that will set these parameters will work great. I just chose AEV as they seem to be a trustworthy company with good products. I haven’t tried any other unit.

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just an FYI.

I ordered a ProCal from AEV and used it to set the 35 inch tire size and new gear ratio Of 4.88 in my Ram 3500. It made a big difference in the smoothness if shifting, shift points, and power delivery. ‘Noticeable immediately after using it, but even bigger improvement after driving the truck a couple days. I used the ProCal after driving the truck over 500 miles with the new gear change just to be sure the difference wasn’t just the truck learning how to drive once again with the gear change.

I’m sure whatever programmer you use that will set these parameters will work great. I just chose AEV as they seem to be a trustworthy company with good products. I haven’t tried any other unit.

Thank you i was Just reading another thread about this and the alphaobd

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
On my way to work today i grabbed these
From 60 to 70
My set up is
2017 ram 2500 crew cab long bed 4x4 with 6.4 hemi off road package 4.88 nitro gears
S&B CAI
I put 305/70r18 mastercraft cxt tires which by their description they are 35.08 tall
I have not corrected the speedo for the tires yet i just ordered the alphaobd and obdlink mx+ hoping i can do it with that system

20190420_162338.jpg

20190420_162258.jpg

20190420_162239.jpg

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
On my way home i got these at 50-55

20190421_050833.jpg

20190421_050816.jpg

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like once you get the speedo calibration done and some extra miles you should do better, but the usable torque is probably phenomenal which I’ll take that over FE since my truck is not my DD

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Looks like once you get the speedo calibration done and some extra miles you should do better, but the usable torque is probably phenomenal which I’ll take that over FE since my truck is not my DD

The torque is awesome even trying to take it easy for break in
The truck just moves and shifts and holds the gears so much better
I got my alphaobd and obd link today so hopefully get the speedo corrected and done other stuff
No regrets whatsoever on gear swap so far
The truck is not my daily either lol

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How are you guys towing on the highway. Are you using 6th gear? Is it ok to use 6th gear? I dont know much about auto transmissions but I always heard 6th was "weaker" and we didn't need to tow with it.

I'm scared if I went with a lower ratio and was towing 60+ it would be screaming in 5th.

Right now with 373s I tow in 4th when under 60 and 5th when over.

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How are you guys towing on the highway. Are you using 6th gear? Is it ok to use 6th gear? I dont know much about auto transmissions but I always heard 6th was "weaker" and we didn't need to tow with it.

I'm scared if I went with a lower ratio and was towing 60+ it would be screaming in 5th.

That was the rule of thumb for the old 4 speeds that I used to drive (GM 4L60E & 4L80E), but the new HD 6 speed transmissions are a whole different animal because manufacturers are building them to withstand the jobs that the trucks are deigned for. Plus since they phased out the manual transmissions, they have put their R&D into automatics that can work. Just put it in D, turn on tow/haul mode, and let her eat. Not saying its the greatest pairing behind the 6.4, but that transmission was originally built to go behind the Cummins and designed for work and towing. You will be fine. I only take it out of 6th when its hunting for a gear, switching from 5th and 6th. Otherwise, let the transmission pick the gear.

Personally, I leave mine in 6th for any situation except rolling hills, and I tow anything from a 5x10 with an ATV or golf cart, to a 24' steel cattle trailer, to a 20' gooseneck with a 45hp tractor and implements. And, Im rolling 35s with about a 1500 lb flatbed on it with the factory 3.73 gears. Only reason Im re-gearing is to help offset the 35s. Now, Im not saying it goes into 6th gear with my throttle position, but I dont hold it out of 6th unless its constantly shifting in and out.

Last edited:

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What you're doing now wont hurt anything either though. Just keep it in whatever gear you feel that the RPMs are where you can live with them.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my experience with my ‘16 power wagon, when in tow/haul mode the trans will never go into 6th gear. With my 8000 pound travel trailer it will rarely go into 5th unless its slight downhill grade. With light trailers it will hit 5th all the time, but I have never seen 6th in tow/haul. Even With light/moderate throttle on low downward slopes.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I'm on flatter roads, I'll let it hit 6th if it wants, even with my 14k lb 5th wheel. But if it starts shifting down to 5th and back then I lock out 6th with the +/- button or I go to tow/haul mode.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I'm on flatter roads, I'll let it hit 6th if it wants, even with my 14k lb 5th wheel. But if it starts shifting down to 5th and back then I lock out 6th with the +/- button or I go to tow/haul mode.

I would highly recommend using the tow/haul mode while towing a load of that size.

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I just dropped it off for the 500 mile oil change haven't towed anything with it yet
Once i get it home i will hook it to my trailer and follow towing break in procedure
I'm thinking by how much better it already feels it will tow much better as well but only time will tell

The main reason for my gear swap is after the last update it was constantly hunting and shifting gears
Any incline whatsoever it was in and out of 5th and 6th unless i locked out 6th gear
I couldn't imagine that being good on the transmission
So far i am pretty happy with the gear swap

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just dropped it off for the 500 mile oil change haven't towed anything with it yet
Once i get it home i will hook it to my trailer and follow towing break in procedure
I'm thinking by how much better it already feels it will tow much better as well but only time will tell

The main reason for my gear swap is after the last update it was constantly hunting and shifting gears
Any incline whatsoever it was in and out of 5th and 6th unless i locked out 6th gear
I couldn't imagine that being good on the transmission
So far i am pretty happy with the gear swap

I keep reading this about the latest updates. I'm keeping my truck out of the dealer for now on. I've got like 4 or 5 recalls (cruise control, tailgate, transmission solenoid, and some kind of front end parts) but I'm scared to get them fixed.

Right now I love how the truck drives for the most part.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would highly recommend using the tow/haul mode while towing a load of that size.

I do in hilly terrain definitely. But when I was in the coastal plains of Georgia and northern Florida, it would hit 6th and stay there easily, even with the heavy load. But I'm back in West Virginia now, so it wont ever see 6th towing, rarely even 5th.

As far as gears, I'm loving seeing what you guys are saying. I was holding out for a gear swap, but my local shop said the AAM 5.13s are on backorder with no ETA for the fronts.

And I would like to have the AAM gears if possible.

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I keep reading this about the latest updates. I'm keeping my truck out of the dealer for now on. I've got like 4 or 5 recalls (cruise control, tailgate, transmission solenoid, and some kind of front end parts) but I'm scared to get them fixed.

Right now I love how the truck drives for the most part.

I felt the same way
Now it drives better than new again and I'm glad lol