Question for the experienced w/Morimoto Elite HID kit on 2014 w/projectors.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've searched all over for answers, but haven't struck gold… thanks in advance for any advice!

I have a 2014 Laramie with projectors, and as the halogens in them have gone bad, I began the debate on which upgrade path to take HID vs. LED. After tons of reading, I went with this Morimoto kit from Amazon, 35W HID with relay harness, and 5500K bulbs. I also bought AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX. Everything was installed last weekend, and with the instructions here I was able to get everything installed without any incident. The lights came on, and are as y'all already know, ridiculously better in luminosity than the OEM bulbs ever were from day one.

Unfortunately, even with the appropriate changes made via AlfaOBD, I am getting a fairly frequent "Low beam headlight out" message. When that happens, I clear the code via alfaOBD and when restarting the truck, it doesn't come back again until the next time I've let it sit, either while at work or overnight.

I've verified that all connections are tight, and that the settings in AlfaOBD match the general recommendations I've found here and elsewhere. Last evening I used AlfaOBD to totally disable DRL, with the last ditch hope that there is some sort of start up/warm up thing that the ballasts need.

Any thoughts here? The lights do come on and work properly, no flickering, etc. Is this maybe expected behavior? Harness relays not switching correctly? Just the best to hope for with a 2014? From what I've read, alfaOBD with appropriate "enable HID" settings means that canBUS adapters aren't necessary - maybe that isn't correct? I feel like I must have missed something. Thanks again for any advice.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If you set everything with alphaobd you won't need the relays and canbus adapters. Morimotos seem to be hit or miss on our trucks for whatever reason. You can try and enable led low beams also. That may help or do nothing. I had issues with them on my 2010 with the oem projector upgrade. On my 2015 I ran ddm hid's with zero issues using just their canbus adapters. Currently on my 2018 I'm running innovative hid's with having enabled hid's through alphaobd and have had zero issues. No adapters.

DDM kit was about $90
Innovited kit is about $40 on Amazon

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I've searched all over for answers, but haven't struck gold… thanks in advance for any advice!

I have a 2014 Laramie with projectors, and as the halogens in them have gone bad, I began the debate on which upgrade path to take HID vs. LED. After tons of reading, I went with this Morimoto kit from Amazon, 35W HID with relay harness, and 5500K bulbs. I also bought AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX. Everything was installed last weekend, and with the instructions here I was able to get everything installed without any incident. The lights came on, and are as y'all already know, ridiculously better in luminosity than the OEM bulbs ever were from day one.

Unfortunately, even with the appropriate changes made via AlfaOBD, I am getting a fairly frequent "Low beam headlight out" message. When that happens, I clear the code via alfaOBD and when restarting the truck, it doesn't come back again until the next time I've let it sit, either while at work or overnight.

I've verified that all connections are tight, and that the settings in AlfaOBD match the general recommendations I've found here and elsewhere. Last evening I used AlfaOBD to totally disable DRL, with the last ditch hope that there is some sort of start up/warm up thing that the ballasts need.

Any thoughts here? The lights do come on and work properly, no flickering, etc. Is this maybe expected behavior? Harness relays not switching correctly? Just the best to hope for with a 2014? From what I've read, alfaOBD with appropriate "enable HID" settings means that canBUS adapters aren't necessary - maybe that isn't correct? I feel like I must have missed something. Thanks again for any advice.

Remove the relays and resistors from the install.

Enjoy

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you set everything with alphaobd you won't need the relays and canbus adapters. Morimotos seem to be hit or miss on our trucks for whatever reason. You can try and enable led low beams also. That may help or do nothing. I had issues with them on my 2010 with the oem projector upgrade. On my 2015 I ran ddm hid's with zero issues using just their canbus adapters. Currently on my 2018 I'm running innovative hid's with having enabled hid's through alphaobd and have had zero issues. No adapters.

DDM kit was about $90
Innovited kit is about $40 on Amazon

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Remove the relays and resistors from the install.

Enjoy

Thanks guys... I will bypass (remove from the circuit but leave in current zip tie prison:)) the relay harness next weekend and report my results.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys... I will bypass (remove from the circuit but leave in current zip tie prison:)) the relay harness next weekend and report my results.

Following up... I removed the relay harness, and the ballasts would not light up. I ended up putting the relay harness back and will just deal with having to use alfaOBD to clear out the lowbeam out errors. I don't know if the 2015+ elite HID kit would have worked without any errors, but I am $170 in and am not going to gamble that it will.