Questions About Installing Auto Dim Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am planning to install an auto dim rear view mirror that supports auto high beams in my 2015 2500 Tradesman. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone tell me the part number I should look for?
  2. If I have the non dimming mirror with the microphones built in, will I need to change the wiring harness?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can install the auto dim mirror in your truck. If your truck came with the RA2 radio the mirror harness will be the same. The problem you are going to run into us that you will need to have the correct sales code added to your truck. You can add the auto dim rear view mirror code by getting an OBD Genie but they do not make one at this time for the auto high beam function. Some of us have been able to add the auto high beam function with the autoenginuity scan tool others have not I was able to add the code in my nephew's 13 but it would not work in my 14. None of these codes can be added by your dealer because it's an option your truck did not come with so it's locked out. The long story short you can definitely add the auto dimming rear view mirror function with the tool or by buying the OBD Genie as far as the auto high beam function the only way we have going right now is the autoenginuity scan tool and there's no guarantee it would work on your truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the info Rick. I purchased a mirror with auto dim and auto high beam. Just waiting for it to arrive.

In the meantime, if I hook up the autoenginuity tool, would I see the option listed if I can add it to my truck. or do I need to wait for the new mirror and then look for it after installing it?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No the option will be there. The auto dim code should work fine. I think it was in vehicle configuration 1 or 3 can't remember for sure. It will say EC mirror present and you will set it to yes.The problem you may run into is the auto high beam code. It needs to be set in two places. I can't remember exactly where they where. I think one was in ECU 8. My nephew has a 13 and I was able to activate his. 00/RT has a 13 and he got his working also. As I stated my truck is a 14 and I set the same codes and it didn't take. It says the codes are enabled but the auto high beam doesn't work. I even tried turning it on in the Lin Bus with no luck. RT said he believes the 14 requires another setting to be enabled that the tool won't show. I am thinking you may run into the same problem if your truck is a 14 or newer. Let us know if you have any luck. If you can't find the auto high beam codes let me know and I will go back in and see where they where. It will say Smart Beam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Rick,

My mirror came in and I started looking for the settings for the Smart Beam to see if it would work on my '15 2500. I found where to turn on the feature. I also saw there was a setting in another section to set where the auto high beam was controlled and it listed 3 or 4 modules. Are you familiar with this setting? I didn't want to start messing with it before asking someone who has tried to activate the mirror with smart beam.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Rick,

My mirror came in and I started looking for the settings for the Smart Beam to see if it would work on my '15 2500. I found where to turn on the feature. I also saw there was a setting in another section to set where the auto high beam was controlled and it listed 3 or 4 modules. Are you familiar with this setting? I didn't want to start messing with it before asking someone who has tried to activate the mirror with smart beam.

The minimum two settings you need are in the Veh Cfg 1 and LIN sections. These were enough in my truck as well as several other 13s, but not for Rick's 14. I know that some additional settings were added in 14 and there is one in there for the auto high beam. I believe it has to do with location, but the AE doesn't expose it on Rick's. it sounds like it may on yours, though. If you can give more info on that setting you're seeing I can probably point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The minimum two settings you need are in the Veh Cfg 1 and LIN sections. These were enough in my truck as well as several other 13s, but not for Rick's 14. I know that some additional settings were added in 14 and there is one in there for the auto high beam. I believe it has to do with location, but the AE doesn't expose it on Rick's. it sounds like it may on yours, though. If you can give more info on that setting you're seeing I can probably point you in the right direction.

Thanks. As a side note, is there an easy way to capture logs in AE so they can be emailed (besides doing a screen capture)?

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OK, I found four places in the BCM that auto high beam is referenced. I think the first three are pretty straight forward. I may need some help with what the settings are in the fourth location. I apologize if the wording on the first few aren't exactly right. I was scribbling notes and they were hard to read :)

Vehicle Config 1
Auto High Beam

Vehicle Config 3
Auto Headlight Feature

Vehicle Config CSM1
Auto High Beams

ECU Config 13: 2014 CDC I / O And Features
Auto High Beam Location
* ECC_AHBM
* CRVMM
* HALF
* Reserved
* reserved
* Reserved
* Reserved

Let me know if there are any other settings I need to look for.

Nick

EDIT: For those who have enable this feature on their truck, is this like other FCA vehicles where there is a message on the EVIC when you push the light stalk forward to turn it on or off?

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I figured since I need to get the BCM flashed anyway (hoping to do that tomorrow), I might as well see if I can get the auto high beams activated.

After activating the first three configs, I tried each of the 3 "auto high beam location" settings with no luck. I also noticed that in the LIN section (I think number 8) there was also a setting for ECC_AHBM present and CRVMM present. I tried setting each of those as present in conjunction with the location, but that didn't change the result.

For reference, I tested after each change by cycling the ignition off then on. Headlight switch on auto. Covered the light sensor with paper so that the headlights turned on. Pushed the the light control stalk forward. Each time the high beams turned on and there was no indication on the EVIC that auto high beams had been activated. I know in my other vehicles you get a message when turning the auto high beams on or off.

I am willing to try other settings if anyone has any suggestions, but it isn't looking good right now :hmm:

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I made some progress on activating the auto high beams in my 2015 Ram 2500. There ended up being 6 settings to activate it. I still have a little bit of testing to verify I have everything working correctly, but here is what I have done so far:

Change the following settings:

Vehicle Config 1:
Auto High Beam - Set

Vehicle Config 3:
Auto Headlight Feature - Set

Veh Config CSM1:
Auto High Beam - Set

ECU Config 8: LIN and Misc.:
ASBM Present: Set

ECU Config 13: 2014 CDC I / O And Features:
Auto High Beam Location - ECC_AHBM

**[Need to go back and find the location of the final setting]**:
ECC_AHBM Present - Set

With all of the above changes, the feature appears to be activated. When I push the light stalk forward I get the "Auto High Beams Enabled" message. With that said, It was still partially light out when I was testing it. I had to cover the sensor on the dash to get the auto headlights to come on. While testing, the headlights were on, but I did not get the blue bright indicator on the cluster. I am wondering if this is because it wasn't completely dark out and the camera on the back of the mirror was picking up the light?

I will try to do some more testing this weekend.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Good luck and thanks for the updates.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I made some progress on activating the auto high beams in my 2015 Ram 2500. There ended up being 6 settings to activate it. I still have a little bit of testing to verify I have everything working correctly, but here is what I have done so far:

Change the following settings:

Vehicle Config 1:

Auto High Beam - Set

Vehicle Config 3:

Auto Headlight Feature - Set

Veh Config CSM1:

Auto High Beam - Set

ECU Config 8: LIN and Misc.:

ASBM Present: Set

ECU Config 13: 2014 CDC I / O And Features:

Auto High Beam Location - ECC_AHBM

**[Need to go back and find the location of the final setting]**:

ECC_AHBM Present - Set

With all of the above changes, the feature appears to be activated. When I push the light stalk forward I get the "Auto High Beams Enabled" message. With that said, It was still partially light out when I was testing it. I had to cover the sensor on the dash to get the auto headlights to come on. While testing, the headlights were on, but I did not get the blue bright indicator on the cluster. I am wondering if this is because it wasn't completely dark out and the camera on the back of the mirror was picking up the light?

I will try to do some more testing this weekend.

It could be that it wasn't dark enough. Did you try it while driving or only when parked? You need to be moving above some speed (20mph, maybe?) for the highs to come on.

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It could be that it wasn't dark enough. Did you try it while driving or only when parked? You need to be moving above some speed (20mph, maybe?) for the highs to come on.

That's good to know. I was just sitting in the driveway. I was driving through a parking structure today in my Grand Cherokee and the headlights were on, but not the brights. I tried covering the camera with my hand and the brights didn't come on, so that explains why.

I plan to go for a spin later tonight when it is completely dark. There are no street lights or traffic near my house, so it should be easy to test out.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's good to know. I was just sitting in the driveway. I was driving through a parking structure today in my Grand Cherokee and the headlights were on, but not the brights. I tried covering the camera with my hand and the brights didn't come on, so that explains why.

I plan to go for a spin later tonight when it is completely dark. There are no street lights or traffic near my house, so it should be easy to test out.

Yep. It should work just like your Jeep. I had an 08 Overland and I have a 12 300 and both behave just like the truck.

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Quick update - I went out for a drive after it got dark and the auto high beams are fully working as designed. The only strange thing that happened was that when I first turned on the truck, it did say that the auto high beams were activated and then I began to drive, but even as I hit 20, 30, 40 and 50 miles an hour, the brights didn't come on. This was on a completely dark dirt road with no lights at all and no other traffic. After a few minutes, the brights suddenly popped on and worked perfectly after that. They worked fine at lower speeds (~15 MPH) and turned off when there was oncoming traffic or cars in front of me.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for helping me step through this. I will do a final confirmation of the steps and settings this weekend and will update the thread so that others can make the same modification.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's great!

As far as I know, I was the first one to get it working and only one or two others have done it since. I don't think anyone here has done it on any year other than 2013, so this is definitely a nice development.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the update! I bought the mirror a while ago but could not get the code to work. I have tryed a few different combinations but I didn't go into ECU Configuration 13. I am going to try it in my 14 and see if I can get it to work.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious. Do.you have the option to.turn it on or off in your settings menu? This is a picture of my Nephew's 13 after we installed the code.

Attachments

• 20161120_155339.jpg
    20161120_155339.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just curious. Do.you have the option to.turn it on or off in your settings menu? This is a picture of my Nephew's 13 after we installed the code.

Yes, I do. If I remember correctly, this option showed up in the menu after changing the auto high beam setting in Veh Config CSM1.