Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Take balancing out of the equation. Get them to put 5 Oz of powder balance in and see what happens..

Geo Ling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the shaking get better or worse when you engage locked 4wd? Is it intermittent, sometimes worse than others, sometimes not at all? Does it shake when you are confident you are on smooth pavement?

Check your front drive axles for signs of internal wear (rust dust on the stub axle) and excessive lateral play. Check both sides but especially the right side. Don’t worry about a little in-line play, but perpendicular play could be your source.

If so, to avoid buying a whole differential just to replace the right side stub axle contact Rick at [email protected], http://rickroodstransmission.com/home.htm

He can sell you a stub axle kit for the right side, source the other parts locally.
Took me a lot of pain to find this malfunction but this fixed it, finally!

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I don't think a tire/wheel issue would come and go. Usually they show every time when you reach the same speed.

Dannyperry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi forum,

I am looking for any advice/ideas as to why I might be experiencing intermittent shaking while driving on the freeway. I have 19' classic 4x4 with a 2.5" leveling kit, 20x12 -44 wheels and 33x12.50 A/T tires. Sometimes I will drive to work and back and the truck will drive smooth. The next day going to work, the bench seat console will be shaking a little, then a lot and then smooth out a bit then go back to shaking. It is very random. I have had the wheels and tires road force balanced and aligned twice with zero improvement. Not sure what could be the matter. I have considered getting rear upper control arms to see if it corrects this issue. Also heard something about the pinion angle? If anyone has experienced anything similar please let me know. The truck drove perfect prior to having the wheels/suspension done.

Thank you
i had the same problem, and the drive shaft was out of balance...

mhud59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I see you had it aligned, did they check caster and camber too?

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Here's a good youtube video that shows how different angles can cause drive variables that can cause a shaking feeling in a truck. This happens when you mess with the suspension. Especially when you "level" a truck because you do change the angle of the front vs. rear U-joint making them unequal.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My truck kind of does this, and it's a bone stock 2wd RCSB. The dealer replaced 3 tires, and it still does it. It rides pretty smooth, but the center jump seat thing can get shaking a good amount, then other times doesn't much at all. Mine seems to get going about 70-75mph on the freeway, or at any speed on ****tier roads.

Hello 89grand,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your vibration concern. If you see your concern is ongoing we suggest getting this addressed by your servicing dealer. If you decide to go this route in the future and need any additional assistance, please know our team is available.
Laura
RamCares

I only notice it when it snows here and I have to engage "4wd auto" to help get up my driveway.
Then the next day I notice a small vibration starting at about 25mph thats when I realize 4wd is still engaging, and when I turn it off the vibration stops.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hello jljbtm,
We are glad to hear you vibration concern seemed to have resolved itself. However, if this should return in the future please do not hesitate reaching out to us.
Laura
RamCares

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just out of curiosity, what are the load range and the current inflation pressure of those tires? In one of the driveshaft photos I see absolutely no sidewall bulge at all and even with a low profile tire there should be a little. A problem with low profile tires, especially at high load ranges is that they telegraph road irregularities more so than a standard sidewall. Add over-inflation to that and you end up with what my dad called, "the basketball effect", where the tire bounces off of every road irregularity instead of just rolling over it. Now, add to that you've moved your wheels further out away from the hubs and you've amplified things as you've pushed the weight of the tire and wheel further from the stock fulcrum points.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
a little late to the party, but I recently went through quite the saga with a seemingly random vibration with my 2012.
I've got a 4" lift, and running 35x12.50 tires. The vibration would come and go randomly, but seemed to be more frequent above 55mph. It seemed to be coming mostly from the front end, but the entire truck would shake.
My schedule was super busy at the time, so I took the truck in to a shop. It wasn't a dealer shop, but it was the only local shop that I trusted with my truck.

I had the truck in the shop multiple times for alignments and tire balance, hoping that they would find the cause of the vibration.
Each time I would pick up the truck, I was told, "Everything looks good, it's all within factory spec." When I finally had time to look at it myself, I discovered that several of the front end joints, while they may have been "in spec", were too worn for my liking. I also decided to check the alignment myself, and discovered that the front tires were toed out just shy of 1/2".

I replaced the ball joints (new lower joints, and new upper arms with new joints), mounted and balanced a new set of tires (balanced with beads), and adjusted the alignment, all in my drive way. Now it is smooth as silk up to 90+.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LEveling does not move the front diff, so therefore drive shaft angles would not change. However, CV shafts are still in play. I,ve seen other complain about a vibration as well without a level or tires, etc. I would if what you feel as a vibration is actually the truck going in to and running in MDS mode. This can cause a minor vibration.

OP try driving multiple days with the trany shifted in to 8th gear and see if you still get it.

The MDS is the on variable that might be there one day and gone the next under the same driving road or location conditions and still vary based on wind, temp, traffic, etc.

Kenepo17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LEveling does not move the front diff, so therefore drive shaft angles would not change. However, CV shafts are still in play. I,ve seen other complain about a vibration as well without a level or tires, etc. I would if what you feel as a vibration is actually the truck going in to and running in MDS mode. This can cause a minor vibration.

OP try driving multiple days with the trany shifted in to 8th gear and see if you still get it.

The MDS is the on variable that might be there one day and gone the next under the same driving road or location conditions and still vary based on wind, temp, traffic, etc.
I do this all time and still have the vibration

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine

Your slightly off on this statement. With a leveling kit the diff does not change unless you have a diff drop kit, Your Cv axle angles do change however. So if things are worn or leveled beyond a safe spec you'll get vibration and wear drivetrain components out much faster.

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi forum,

I am looking for any advice/ideas as to why I might be experiencing intermittent shaking while driving on the freeway. I have 19' classic 4x4 with a 2.5" leveling kit, 20x12 -44 wheels and 33x12.50 A/T tires. Sometimes I will drive to work and back and the truck will drive smooth. The next day going to work, the bench seat console will be shaking a little, then a lot and then smooth out a bit then go back to shaking. It is very random. I have had the wheels and tires road force balanced and aligned twice with zero improvement. Not sure what could be the matter. I have considered getting rear upper control arms to see if it corrects this issue. Also heard something about the pinion angle? If anyone has experienced anything similar please let me know. The truck drove perfect prior to having the wheels/suspension done.

Thank you
Did you ever figure out what caused your vibration?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio