Ram 3500 most unreliable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The good thing about America today, WE JUST DONT BELIEVE YOU ANYMORE. We been lied to too many times. Can't wait til this country falls, we will hunt these maggots one a time, teach them the error in their ways, lol.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Consumer Reports are a waste of your time reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am a Construction Manager for a large homebuilder. You wouldn't believe the "expert" homeowners and the complete crap I have to deal with as they tell me how the home should be constructed and how this and that is "defective". It's hard to believe I haven't gone postal yet......

They watch a couple episodes of some house building/remodeling show and think they know everything. And don't get me started on how the old in laws have to chime in on how they know all construction methods...

I work in the new home industry, the sales end of it. Been doing it for 20 yrs, there are lots of pros out there. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is guy on a 2nd gen Camaro forum that bashes FCA products when quality comes up. Brings up a JD Power ranking. Most of the complaints against FCA products are smart phone/Bluetooth/radio related.....hardly what I consider reliability or quality issues.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
There is guy on a 2nd gen Camaro forum that bashes FCA products when quality comes up. Brings up a JD Power ranking. Most of the complaints against FCA products are smart phone/Bluetooth/radio related.....hardly what I consider reliability or quality issues.

Just send GM fanboy this…

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25221/...e-middle-of-detroit-red-wings-marketing-stunt

and remind him the Tahoe that the Michigan State Police were just testing couldn’t even be rated because it overheated and broke down.

Also, let’s have a nice laugh at how lost GM is right now in their product planning and personnel management. Not to mention the fact that they cried about how the stupid public won’t buy their wonderful sedans so they have to cancel them all. Meanwhile FCA sells very strong numbers of Charger, Challenger and 300 on 10 year old platforms without the asinine advertising. Wouldn't be surprised to also see Ram beat GM for second place in truck sales in the next year.

2ndA732

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fake News!

Such a bummer that these high impact companies can tilt their agenda to easily swayed American masses (millennials in particular, unfortunately, i am one). It's depressing actually, i used to look at CR for all my car purchases.

Similar to listening to actors for political advice. Bought and paid for by someone.

Thanks for sharing.

-Kommiefornia resident (and waiting to move)

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've stated before...I deal with large amounts of data generated by the auto repair industry. I can't be specific as to the source. That's my background, so take my comments accordingly.

Reading this garbage from Consumer Reports, several things stand out. The "trouble spots" as reported are steering/suspension, fuel/emissions system, engine cooling, noises and leaks. Let's ask some questions: First, define reliability. CR defines it as, "...how well vehicles have held up and the odds that an owner could be inconvenienced by problems and repairs." That's not how **I** define reliability, but I'll go with what they have. Basically, if it runs and gets me where I am going, it's reliable IMO. But, let's look at what they found....
What kind of leak? If it's the third brake light, how does that contribute to reliability? "Noises"....what kind of noises? I have a buddy who took his back because he was hearing the fan clutch cycle and didn't know what it was. People hear a squeak from the interior and they are back in to the dealer...Reliability? I guess by CR's standards, it is.

Lastly, but most importantly, they are not compiling data from warranty repairs, extended service contract repairs, etc.....they are compiling consumer survey data. As a whole, consumers are largely misinformed when it comes to their cars. They don't understand them, have a love affair with them, and are blinded to many truths about them. So, CR surveys these people then decides a car/truck isn't reliable based on what they say? This can be skewed by dealer treatment of the consumer, the weather, the spicy chicken wings that are burning a hole in the guy's ass this morning....any one of a number of things.

In short, this CR "report" isn't worth the paper it's written on from a data perspective, but the blind sheep will suck it up...and subscribe to do so.

Reminds me of all those Suzuki Samuri's that were rolling over.....
You are correct. CR is NOT worth the time to read, CRAP reporting.

Old Cop 66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2014, 6.4, 69K
Nope, NO problems. Had an 01, and 06 CTD, 300k on the 01, 70 K on the 06, both 1 ton...only thing wore out were the tires.
The 14 is a 2500, it’s found it’s retirement home..
It’s one of the three best trucks I have ever had the pleasure to own. The other two, see above...

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Still amazes me that a single individual's experience with a single vehicle is considered relevant for purposes of overall reliability. What is unique about Consumer Reports is that all of their subscribers receive a survey request each year and owners for each vehicle they own input the model and year and if they had repairs in a specific area. This makes it possible to see which models had which problems and it could be with the engine, cooling system, AC, electrics, trim, brakes, etc. and so when I look for a vehicle I can determine which models and which model years to avoid.

For example with the Chevy Duramax there have been 5 different diesel engines and each has had its weaknesses. I found problems with all the diesel trucks from Ram, Ford, and Chevy up through 2010 and so when buying a new diesel truck in 2011 I bought the Chevy, primarily for the independent front suspension.

When researching which 1500 class pickup to buy in 2018 I also made use of the car complaints databases available. That provided me with information on both problems encountered by owners and how well their local dealer and the manufacturer responded to fix the problems. In this last respect Ram was the worst followed by Ford and only GM/Chevy and Toyota had "good" track records.

When I read about someone buying a brand new 2018 Ram pickup and having problems in a matter of weeks with the transmission and having their new truck sitting for a month or longer waiting for parts while they have to rent something in the interim, well it sours me on Ram. Ford owners with months old pickups have had rear cab glass fracture and roof leaks in the cab and Ford has said that these problems were not covered by the bumper to bumper warranty.

Posted complaints by Ram owners:
“Purchased the truck brand new off the lot. We’ve had 4 recalls on it and it has barely 6,000 miles on it. Had no idea until after I purchased that they also have the lowest resale value. I found out only by trying to trade it in on another vehicle.”

“We bought the truck in May of 2016. We have had Nothing But Problems! It is currently back in the shop to have the cams and lifters replaced on the side that didn't get replaced just a few months ago! We have had electrical problems, cruise control problems, sensor problems. Thankfully we paid the 3800.00 for the extended warranty! I would strongly suggest doing your homework prior to purchasing a Dodge Ram! I will definitely NOT purchase another one!”

“My husband and I purchased a 2018 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 the last week of May. BRAND NEW! Very first day brought it home, the gear became stuck in park. Would not budge. The vehicle did however get in drive the next morning to take it to the dealership, and became stuck in park again once there. The RAM company said they would send the part... ONE MONTH later the part arrived at the dealership. The truck still will not shift into any gears. Informed the customer service person at RAM and they are looking into the matter.”

Besides Consumer Reports these websites provide information reported by vehicle owners:

http://www.carproblemzoo.com

https://www.truedelta.com

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/

https://www.carcomplaints.com

Nobody wants to hear they have a problem child or an ugly baby but when I am going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle I do not want any nasty surprises. It still happens but I spend as little time as possible in auto service shops and minimize the downtime for repairs.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just send GM fanboy this….

I think GM is in real trouble & I wouldn’t doubt they’re aren’t far off to going under.

I had 2 modern GM vehicles, a’00 S10 Blazer & ‘05 Tahoe. The Blazer was uncomfortable to drive long distances, ball joint issues, & wind noise. The Tahoe was **** poor engineering & electrical gremlins. I had to replace the fuel pump because the nipple on it rotted away, brake lines rotted away (who the hell doesn’t use SS lines?).

My ‘99 Ram 1500, ‘06 Charger, ‘14 Ram 2500, ‘15 Gr. Cherokee, & ‘18 Gr. Cherokee had less issues combined than that Tahoe.

Last edited:

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is from consumers report so take it for what it’s worth.[emoji23][emoji23]

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/10-least-reliable-cars/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfffft, I saw/read a review of top 10 least reliable vehicles. And yes, Ram was on the list. The biggest complaint from consumers.....leaking from the third brake light. Really??? Now I ask you, how in the name of Jesus does a leak make a vehicle unreliable???