Ram 5.7 can and lifter replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just paid $3500 to have the cam and lifters replaced on my 2012 ram 1500 5.7, with 124k on it.
I have done some research on this issue, I have talked to three dealerships in my area and found out Dodge is well aware of this problem and knows it's a product problem. But they have done nothing about this. I have contacted an Attorney that specializes in these kind of matters. But I need back up from anyone who has paid for this repair and feels at the mileage of their vehicle they should not be paying. Contact me. Oh, by the way this issue effects cars with the 5.7 hemi also.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Didn't realize how old the original post was :)

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just paid $3500 to have the cam and lifters replaced on my 2012 ram 1500 5.7, with 124k on it.
I have done some research on this issue, I have talked to three dealerships in my area and found out Dodge is well aware of this problem and knows it's a product problem. But they have done nothing about this. I have contacted an Attorney that specializes in these kind of matters. But I need back up from anyone who has paid for this repair and feels at the mileage of their vehicle they should not be paying. Contact me. Oh, by the way this issue effects cars with the 5.7 hemi also.
My 2012 had lifter/cam failure at 94K miles. The replacement cam failed when the phaser on the end sheared and that took out another set of lifters. At that point something also tracked through a main bearing. No effect at higher rpm, but my oil pressure when warm at idle is 9 psi. Stealership that did the damage had the temerity to tell me they recommend a new $12,500 long block--Efftards!

The problem is design. The distance between the crank and cam for the 5.7L is so far the cam gallery is starved of lube at idle. With enough stop and go a roller eventually fails and that flattens the cam. Plenty of oil gets slopped around over 2K rpm, its low rpm that kils the Hemi.

I'm going to run it until I replace it. A Remanufactured 5.7 long block runs ~$4K plus shipping with a 15 day deferral on core deposit--with a five year warranty. I'll replace the plugs, the water pump, thermostat, the idler and tensioners. The alternator and coil packs are still strong so i can defer that expense.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a 2500$ 3 day Driveway job. A cam swap and lifter change isnt rocket science.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wonder if this is my Problem, shop ruled out coil pack and spark plug.
codes says cylnder 5 miss fire and it idles rough, so I am not driving it.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its a 2500$ 3 day Driveway job. A cam swap and lifter change isnt rocket science.
I only got to about $1700 pricing out parts and that was with new oil & water pumps… did I miss something?

Lifters, cam, head gaskets, push rods, head bolts, oil, coolant, assembly lube, thermostat, hellcat oil pump, water pump.

I'd figure out a way to get the cam out without having to discharge the AC... cause that's annoying.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Cost me 100$ to get my AC recharged. best $$$ ever spent not to have that **** in my way ;)
You have the r-134a, right? I think the late '14's and up use the 1234yf gold plated unicorn shizzle with fairy dust sprinkles. Supposed to be pretty pricey.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have the r-134a, right? I think the late '14's and up use the 1234yf gold plated unicorn shizzle with fairy dust sprinkles. Supposed to be pretty pricey.
yup i have the fairy dust sprinkles

Crooks1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve done multiple cam swaps with A/C installed and with it completely taken out. It’s soooo much nicer have it out of the way.

My personal truck had the unicorn shizzle but after the cam swap I rented everything from Oreillys (their kit has the 1234-yf adapters) and dumped $20 worth of r-134a in it. Been over a year and it will still freeze you out.