RAM CARES and DRAG LINK RECALL !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
SeppW,

Never heard it explained that way. Makes sense.

Now I've got an alignment problem with a welded drag link.

What's the odds Ram will work with me on this?
Weld would have to be ground off to adjust drag link and re-center steering wheel, which I think in the bulletin the dealer is supposed to verify alignment before welding. I thought the welding was an interim fix until the link could be replaced with the redesigned link, but that doesn't appear to be happening. I have read elsewhere, and maybe here, some alignment shops refusing to grind off weld, along with dealers, once it's initially welded. It does appear once the weld is done, the recall is complete, meaning the link will never get replaced.

I replaced my link out of pocket with a MOPAR re-designed link, it was $195 IIRC, albeit I don't think my original link was problematic. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to let dealer weld a perfectly good link and never took truck in for recall. As a side note, I recently had truck in for service and service manager asked me about the recall and I told him the link had been replaced. I later checked my Ram Brand Owners account and the recall had been closed. Although not mentioned on the invoice, my guess is the dealer took credit for recall and was reimbursed for the work, thus preventing me from making a claim for part reimbursement. My fault anyway, because I never filed a claim in the first place. Others replaced link with the Synergy link, which is nothing like the OEM redesigned link, but both use a clamping collet-type set up to lock the adjusting rod end, or ends with the Synergy link. Interestingly, a few complaints have emerged with the Synergy link, but can't recall what they were, maybe the end rod bushings (AKA tie rod ends) were problematic or something else maybe.

Last edited:

plante2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe we can charge Ram for the tires we prematurely wear due their weird drag link fix which doesn’t allow for complete adjustment. Please read tech order regarding the fix - my steering wheel was not straightened and welds are not of the prescribed length - mine were merely spot welded which does not follow the tech order repair.

BTW - still have not heard from ram cares. Maybe they really don’t care - sad.

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Weld would have to be ground off to adjust drag link and re-center steering wheel, which I think in the bulletin the dealer is supposed to verify alignment before welding. I thought the welding was an interim fix until the link could be replaced with the redesigned link, but that doesn't appear to be happening. I have read elsewhere, and maybe here, some alignment shops refusing to grind off weld, along with dealers, once it's initially welded. It does appear once the weld is done, the recall is complete, meaning the link will never get replaced.

I replaced my link out of pocket with a MOPAR re-designed link, it was $195 IIRC, albeit I don't think my original link was problematic. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to let dealer weld a perfectly good link and never took truck in for recall. As a side note, I recently had truck in for service and service manager asked me about the recall and I told him the link had been replaced. I later checked my Ram Brand Owners account and the recall had been closed. Although not mentioned on the invoice, my guess is the dealer took credit for recall and was reimbursed for the work, thus preventing me from making a claim for part reimbursement. My fault anyway, because I never filed a claim in the first place. Others replaced link with the Synergy link, which is nothing like the OEM redesigned link, but both use a clamping collet-type set up to lock the adjusting rod end, or ends with the Synergy link. Interestingly, a few complaints have emerged with the Synergy link, but can't recall what they were, maybe the end rod bushings (AKA tie rod ends) were problematic or something else maybe.

Update: Just got back from the Ram Dealer in Pueblo. Asked to see the service manager. He looked at my tires and agreed with me.. He said he would order a new drag link today and would call to schedule an appointment as soon as it came in. Quite surprising. We'll see.

plante2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m taking an unmerciful amount of crap from my Ford buddies about my cocked off steering wheel and cheesy welds - I get the “Shoulda stayed with Ford”. I guess I’m not the best Ram poster child

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I’m taking an unmerciful amount of crap from my Ford buddies about my cocked off steering wheel and cheesy welds - I get the “Shoulda stayed with Ford”. I guess I’m not the best Ram poster child
Oh I'm sure they are, but Ford's are far from perfect, they have their issues and they have issued some crappy recall fixes in the past. Ford has no bragging rights in terms of recalls or warranty service. They are just as bad as ram and GM.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Ask the Ford guys, How about them 6.0 Powerstrokes? They were famous for oil cooler, EGR cooler, high pressure oil pump and head gasket failures. Any one of those is way more expensive to fix than a drag link.

I would rather have a crooked steering wheel than have my truck Found On Road Dead. :)

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Ask the Ford guys, How about them 6.0 Powerstrokes? They were famous for oil cooler, EGR cooler, high pressure oil pump and head gasket failures. Any one of those is way more expensive to fix than a drag link.

I would rather have a crooked steering wheel than have my truck Found On Road Dead. :)
Hey hey hey, easy there. I came from a 2005 6.0 and loved it. Once you know it's workings and perform preventative maintenance they're a sinch and never left me stranded. Sold it 2 years ago with 198,000 mi on the clock. No DEF, No derate, no emissions after a tune.
I do love my RAM though.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 6.0 PoSD was lemon lawed at about a year into owning it. 2 good friends bought later year 6.0's and stuck many $1000's into them after blowing turbos, dropping cylinders, injector failures, etc. Some folks had good luck with them, but they were a very problematic motor for Ford.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My 6.0 PoSD was lemon lawed at about a year into owning it. 2 good friends bought later year 6.0's and stuck many $1000's into them after blowing turbos, dropping cylinders, injector failures, etc. Some folks had good luck with them, but they were a very problematic motor for Ford.
The Ford 6.0 (especially) but also the 6.4 and 6.7s can be problematic. The 6.0 powerjoke especially was a terrible engine.

plante2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s one thing I can say - I love my Cummins diesel - pull the hell out of anything. I’m not pleased with the Ram drag link recall and I do blame the desk here in OKC - it appears they did not follow the technical bulletin on the repair eg straighten the steering wheel and the length of weld. I will be redressing it with them.

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Plante,

When you say "Desk", what do you mean?

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Got a call from the ram folks. Got a case #. Supposed to expedite the delivery of the drag-link to the Pueblo CO Ram dealer.

Note: Expedited means about 30 days.

So, We'll see

plante2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still have not heard from Ram Cares. I was told 1 to 2 days and that was about a month ago. Glad you guys had some luck. I’ll have to re-address next week.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For anyone that has had the drag link replaced by FCA, are you experiencing any clunk/popping sound in the front end when turning?
Mine has been doing it for a while now and I could swear its the new drag link? Just read were at least one person has had an issue on a 2019.

Anyone know ( @RamCares ) if they warranty replacement parts and if so for how long? Mine was replaced back around last October time frame so it's less then a year old.