Ram Issues: Letter from Lawyers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I bought my 2017 1500 Sport in late 2017, and so far it's been into the dealer five times for warranty issues. The differential was making noise, whatever they did, fixed it. The right door mirror was replaced because it was malfunctioning, as was the rear-view camera. I replaced a door opening weatherstrip for a wind noise issue (which still exists) and then I've had issues with the door locks twice now (electrical) where I am completely locked out of the truck - even the hidden key won't turn the door lock cylinder. No, it's not the remote. No, it's not the battery in the remote. Not asking for a solution, so let's move on.

I got a letter from Lemon Law attorneys who have a noticed a large number of warranty claims/repairs for 2017-2022 Ram trucks, and long story short, they're chasing potential customers for a Lemon Law case. Since I've had these recurring issues, I'm frustrated, but also conflicted about it. Love the truck, hate the problems. I have the extended warranty (through 99k miles, I believe), so I know I'm good to take it in (again) for any of these issues, but I'm wondering if I really want to participate in this lawsuit.

What I was told: in many cases they are filing Lemon Law claims and getting up to 150% of the cost of the truck; it will play out for about a year, at which point you will have to relinquish your vehicle. If this electrical issue persists, I may not have a choice, as I'm tired of being completely locked out of my own vehicle.

Again, not asking for suggestions about what's causing the problems - I've been around that block a couple of times. I'm just sharing this information in case others are having similar issues with either Engine, Transmission, or Electrical and have multiple warranty repairs done.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Those lawsuits benefit no one but the lawyers. They are just sharks out fishing right now, probably sent that letter to everyone they can find looking for bites. Don't play along with their shenanigans...

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
i think most people find that in these types of cases the lawyers make a bunch of money and the claimants get the equivalent of a free oil change....if that.
That's what I was assuming, but this isn't a class action lawsuit so they are handling it on an individual basis. They would seek either a refund, a replacement, or a cash settlement, and take their cut (probably 30%) from that.

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Those lawsuits benefit no one but the lawyers. They are just sharks out fishing right now, probably sent that letter to everyone they can find looking for bites. Don't play along with their shenanigans...

I called to inquire, as I said I'm not sure I want to give it up, but if these electrical issues persist I'm not going to be happy. I bought this truck new to have something reliable and it's been a crap shoot thus far, I've had to go without it for a week once.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Have you filed your own Lemon Law case ?

Or did you miss the filing date ?

Last edited:
OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Have you filed your own Lemon Law case ?

Or did you miss the filing date ?
I haven't file anything, but not sure what you mean by "miss the filing date"... wasn't aware there was a filing date (not that I was looking for one)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was thinking that when you purchase a vehicle & it develops issues that seemingly can't be fixed buy the vehicle seller. That you can file a claim under the California Lemon Law.
There are rules that each party must follow & then there are time limits that also have to be followed

I have never had to do it myself, but i have talked to friends that were going through it.
He ended up getting a replacement truck

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I was thinking that when you purchase a vehicle & it develops issues that seemingly can't be fixed buy the vehicle seller. That you can file a claim under the California Lemon Law.
There are rules that each party must follow & then there are time limits that also have to be followed

I have never had to do it myself, but i have talked to friends that were going through it.
He ended up getting a replacement truck
Okay, I understand what Lemon Law is and all that but I thought you were referring to sometime specific that I had missed. Lemon Laws are less rigid these days than they were a few decades ago. Back then (1980s-1990s) you had to have the vehicle in the shop a certain number of times for the same repair, and had to show that it was in the shop for x-number of days for that repair. I had a motorcycle in the shop for a total of 7 weeks for the same repair, four times. About to file a claim... but then someone stole the bike. Problem solved. He deserved it. lol

I'll see if this door issue continues, I also had some weird crap going on with the navigation, too. Had to hard reboot it twice the other day.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
Get your contract out and look it over - date vs mileage. Mine was not written like the Sales guy and I talked about. Make sure it say what U think it says...

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Get your contract out and look it over - date vs mileage. Mine was not written like the Sales guy and I talked about. Make sure it say what U think it says...
Mine is the Mopar contract, and yeah it has a date, but I'm pretty far from it from what I remember, I'll check again. thanks

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
I haven't file anything, but not sure what you mean by "miss the filing date"... wasn't aware there was a filing date (not that I was looking for one)
ALL states have Lemon Laws. Also, your owners manual has a section about Lemon Laws and arbitration etc. Many states it's if you have the same problem 3 times within a year. I've had three friends that got their vehicles replaced with a charge of 5 cents a mile for their usage. Loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee, F250 Ford loaded diesel, Chevrolet 1500 loaded P/U. These vehicles were within several years old. Not sure how much difference that makes. Before Chrysler started getting bought by everyone they had a great Customer Service dep't. Now it seems to be useless. Read your manual and check your state Lemon Laws

BobAllo

Reaction score
It sounds like you've been through quite a journey with your 2017 Ram 1500 Sport. Dealing with multiple warranty issues can be incredibly frustrating, especially when you have a strong attachment to your truck. From the differential noise to the malfunctioning door mirror and rear-view camera, not to mention the recurring problems with the door locks, it's clear that you've encountered your fair share of challenges. If you're curious about legal matters beyond Lemon Law, you might find this resource on HHS lawyers insightful: https://federal-lawyer.com/ . Take care, and I hope you find a resolution that brings you peace of mind.

Last edited:

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7

^^^ T H I S. ^^^ Look over Date, Years, Mileage, Coverage.

My 2015 1500 Laramie, with what I was told MaxCare Unlimited years/mileage. Bumper to Bumper. Just like the 3/36. Showed me all the information, which I read.

Six years later, 125K miles...REALITY struck.
- Unlimted years/miles, BUT NOT MaxCare. Much less. Read like drive train and some stuff. D@mn sure NOT Bumper To Bumper.

B@$tards switched coverage at signing time. Different box checked. <<< Serious lesson learned, on my part.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know that all we see on the Forums for the most part are problems..there is a lot of good information as well. However we read of the problems. The fan base is hugeand overall the problems are a small percentage..that doesn't matter if you are one of the poor souls that has a problem :Love the Ram: Hate the issues with Dealerships...however Lawyers are another Sink Hole..I watched "Mike Holmes on Homes"..and he bluntly and accurately said from his 40 odd years in fixing contractor issues when Lawyers get involved they are the only ones that make any money or get things resolved..so sorry for your troubles, we all wish we had the answer...at some point a person with blow a gasket..watch out Dealerships!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably bad battery connections or ground. With turnover in the tech field, if nothing shows up on the scanner, lot of techs aren't sure what to 'replace'. Sometimes it's the simple things.

Relavent story: I had a vehicle (H3), where for a while it would randomly go into a mode and do "funny things" (but very frustrating) associated with the window control module (also controls security, door locks and of course windows). When it would occur, you could roll the windows down, but not "up". Not lock or unlock the doors. I can't remember if it started or not. Not unheard of in these vehicles. Replacing the module usually helps ...for about a week/month. Bad battery connections are a common source (but not mine).

Ulitmately when I had the carpet out one time (for it to 'dry' due to a sunroof leak ...common with these vehicles), I noticed the ground nearest to the window control module was completely rusted and the terminal rusted. I also noticed about 10 ground connections inside the vehicle ...so good grounds are real important. That's how the juice gets back to the battery. I installed a new wire connector and cleaned the ground. Never had a single issue in the 5yrs after. And that was with the original control module.

So, things like that can occur. A lot of mechanics are sloppy and maybe broke a connector the previous time...that now has a corroded pin. Or leaned on something and broke a plastic tube or brittle rubber fitting. Rodents can chew wires. Most mechanics aren't going to fish around for those kind of odd-ball problems...it'll never show up on the scan tool. And "Flat-Rate" pay scheme isn't condusive to taking a lot of time to find the root cause. The tech needs to slap the vehicle back out and hope the problem doesn't re-occur, or the customer goes somewhere else next time.

So it's hard to say sometimes what the 'root cause' really is.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
I would add to coat those connections with something like Battery terminal corrosion protectant. For the long term...