Ram vs Silverado reliabillity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi all, hopefully I Will own my first truck in a few weeks but I just cant figure out if I should go for the ram or silverado. Since Im not the richest kid on The block Im looking at 2006 to 2008 year. Theres so mutch trash talking on The internets about how ram sucks and that you spend more time fixing it then driving and so on. I realize most of it is just ******** but some part of me get affected by it and soak it up. And if you search for the least reliable truck and so on, ram is allways on top. Is there any truth in this? I got some other questions for you too.

How well does it handle cold weather? Like 20 degrees celsius
Is there any year or model I should stay away from?
I want to be able to work on the truck myself. How does it compare to chevy when it comes to that? Service and stuff.
is it better to save up some more and get the 09?

Ive ben looking at the 1500 5.7 4x4 automatic.

Thanks for you time and sorry for my english I live in Sweden

Edit. Most likly the truck will have 100k miles on it. Can I expect another easy 100k? If its ben service by the book?

OH and I will use it as Daily driver, load or tow once a week and nothing rally super heavy.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Obviously asking on a ram forum you are going to hear about how rams are the best.
Becuase they are.
With a good battery and starter and synthetic motor oil my ram starts suprisingly easy at -30 celsius. But im sure a gm with the same good condition parts and syn oil would start too. Hell even without syn oil most vehicles start around here, they just sound funny trying to turn over in molasses oil.
I find dodge much easier to work on than fords or gms. Maybe i just think the same way as dodge engineers but i love to work on ram trucks. Nothing is needlessly complicated and the hemi is one hell of a solid powerhouse. Sucks gas and thats it.
One thing ive found about dodges is that they like original or higher quality parts. Jobber (cheap) balljoints and tie rod ends dont last, at least the way i drive it. Buy cheap twice is an accurate statement here.
And dont let the sucks gas comment deter you either, a similarly equipped gm will drink just as much but you will have less fun doing it haha.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Obviously asking on a ram forum you are going to hear about how rams are the best.
Becuase they are.
With a good battery and starter and synthetic motor oil my ram starts suprisingly easy at -30 celsius. But im sure a gm with the same good condition parts and syn oil would start too. Hell even without syn oil most vehicles start around here, they just sound funny trying to turn over in molasses oil.
I find dodge much easier to work on than fords or gms. Maybe i just think the same way as dodge engineers but i love to work on ram trucks. Nothing is needlessly complicated and the hemi is one hell of a solid powerhouse. Sucks gas and thats it.
One thing ive found about dodges is that they like original or higher quality parts. Jobber (cheap) balljoints and tie rod ends dont last, at least the way i drive it. Buy cheap twice is an accurate statement here.
And dont let the sucks gas comment deter you either, a similarly equipped gm will drink just as much but you will have less fun doing it haha.

Thanks man! Thats nice to hear some real life experience. Some dealers can sell their mother without feeling any shame ;)

Aint there any aftermarket tie rod and balljoint that last longer?
But is 20 mpg hw and 12 in the city to mutch to expect?

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
honestly if i was looking at 2007-08 years i would get a silverado.

specifically a 2008+ with the sixspeed trans, i had a '11 Silverado and that was a blast to drive (essentially the same as the 08) it wasnt as comfy as my 2012 ram but was great offroad, did good on fuel and parts were cheaper.

in 2007-08 the rams were lacking behind GM in quality, parts were expensive and failed frequently, these were solved in the 4th gen models.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
honestly if i was looking at 2007-08 years i would get a silverado.

specifically a 2008+ with the sixspeed trans, i had a '11 Silverado and that was a blast to drive (essentially the same as the 08) it wasnt as comfy as my 2012 ram but was great offroad, did good on fuel and parts were cheaper.

in 2007-08 the rams were lacking behind GM in quality, parts were expensive and failed frequently, these were solved in the 4th gen models.

Alrite thanks man. Are you refering to tie rods and balljoints or are there other things?

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alrite thanks man. Are you refering to tie rods and balljoints or are there other things?

those are just some of the things, i was referring to the vehicle in general.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
those are just some of the things, i was referring to the vehicle in general.

Oh, did you have to repair it often and what broke down for you on the truck? Did you do some heavy towing?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my 08. People will always start the Chevy vs dodge vs ford crap. I'm not brand loyal at all and I've owned lots of different makes, and they're all made out of the same ****. While one brand may have electrical issues, another one may have powertrain issues, and another one may have suspension issues. Just find one you like, at a price you like, and get it. Yeah the 06-08 rams interiors aren't the best on the market but they're not bad, I like the interiors on the 4th gens but there's a pretty big price jump between 3rd and 4th gens.

And on a stock, well maintained truck, it is completely doable to get 20+ highway mpg with an 06-08 5.7 4wd quad cab.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I love my 08. People will always start the Chevy vs dodge vs ford crap. I'm not brand loyal at all and I've owned lots of different makes, and they're all made out of the same ****. While one brand may have electrical issues, another one may have powertrain issues, and another one may have suspension issues. Just find one you like, at a price you like, and get it. Yeah the 06-08 rams interiors aren't the best on the market but they're not bad, I like the interiors on the 4th gens but there's a pretty big price jump between 3rd and 4th gens.

And on a stock, well maintained truck, it is completely doable to get 20+ highway mpg with an 06-08 5.7 4wd quad cab.

Good to hear! I'm just trying to figure out if there's any sense behind the trash talking. If the weak part is Tie rod end and balljoints, I mean its not that big deal.

+06 interior is rough, the way a truck should be imo ;)

Then the mpg ain't that bad for a truck that's soon 10 years old!

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi ramdiddle,
I traded an 07 GMC Canyon in on my 13 RAM 1500. The Canyon wasn't bad except that it overheated from day one, the antilock brake light would come on every time you had to slam on the brakes, and the clutch sounded like there was a bucket of bolts in it. The problem was that no GM dealer would fix it even thought it was that way from day one and there were TSB for each of these issues.
If you really want objective data do a Technical service bulletin check and recall check for each one and see for yourself what is up with the two trucks.
Personally there is nothing that would make me buy another GMC or Chevy.
Good luck with your search.

preachp

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks man! Thats nice to hear some real life experience. Some dealers can sell their mother without feeling any shame ;)

Aint there any aftermarket tie rod and balljoint that last longer?
But is 20 mpg hw and 12 in the city to mutch to expect?

Right now im using mopar direction pieces and so far they are lasting.
In the past two years ive replaced: starter (new jobber, works good so far) battery, spark plugs, 2 ball joints, 2 tie rods, 1 wheel bearing, 4 wheel brakes.
All normal maintenence items. Truck is at ~ 185k kms. Next item will be replacing the exhaust manifolds, they are cracked and its starting to sound like a ford when i start it the morning haha
I get around 14 us mpg city and 18 or 19 highway. I think it could be better if i went slower and returned to stock tire size.
Yes the interior has lots of plastic but its very comfortable and i like the way its set up. Great for long drives.
I dont tow but it does see severe service as a street truck. Its on 305/40/22 and it corners like a champ. I love to make the hemi sing and she doesnt mind. I honestly never thought i would have so much fun with this truck when i bought it. Then i found this forum haha

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi ramdiddle,
I traded an 07 GMC Canyon in on my 13 RAM 1500. The Canyon wasn't bad except that it overheated from day one, the antilock brake light would come on every time you had to slam on the brakes, and the clutch sounded like there was a bucket of bolts in it. The problem was that no GM dealer would fix it even thought it was that way from day one and there were TSB for each of these issues.
If you really want objective data do a Technical service bulletin check and recall check for each one and see for yourself what is up with the two trucks.
Personally there is nothing that would make me buy another GMC or Chevy.

preachp

I hope you're happier with the Ram after all the trouble!

Thanks alot for that tip, I'll do that asap.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Right now im using mopar direction pieces and so far they are lasting.
In the past two years ive replaced: starter (new jobber, works good so far) battery, spark plugs, 2 ball joints, 2 tie rods, 1 wheel bearing, 4 wheel brakes.
All normal maintenence items. Truck is at ~ 185k kms. Next item will be replacing the exhaust manifolds, they are cracked and its starting to sound like a ford when i start it the morning haha
I get around 14 us mpg city and 18 or 19 highway. I think it could be better if i went slower and returned to stock tire size.
Yes the interior has lots of plastic but its very comfortable and i like the way its set up. Great for long drives.
I dont tow but it does see severe service as a street truck. Its on 305/40/22 and it corners like a champ. I love to make the hemi sing and she doesnt mind. I honestly never thought i would have so much fun with this truck when i bought it. Then i found this forum haha

That's not that bad? I mean if you consider that probably haven't been changed for a while or not even since new.
Nice that's not terrible mpg.
I can't wait til I get my hands on a truck myself :favorites13:

Wanna thank you all for helping me out on my decision. I will definitely consider a Ram after your comments and after lurking some on this forum.

Rumblebee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 04 Ram and 05 Silverado. Both single cab short bed 4X4s, both with 140k and 170k respectively. Both are beat up work trucks that have done a lot of things they were never designed to do. The Silverado wins the reliability factor hands down. The overall quality is kind of a tie. The front suspension is pretty much identical from truck to truck, but the steering is different. The steering and suspension is noisy on the Chevy, but pretty much everything else is on the Dodge. The exhaust leaks from the manifold on both trucks, but the Chevy just needs a gasket, where the Dodge broke the damn manifold. The interior quality is about the same but the Chevy is more comfortable. The dodge however has more room. There's no beating the reliability of an LS motor, but I can't knock the Hemi. It's running alright as far as I can tell. I'd definitely recommend the Chevy over the Dodge, buy I'm not saying stay away from Dodge (that would be contradicting myself). I am saying stay away from Ford. I've had more of those than anything else and **** THOSE THINGS!

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi ramdiddle,

" hope you're happier with the Ram after all the trouble!"

Not problem one with the RAM. It has been flawless.

preachp

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
the years you mentioned, I'd buy a silverado.

you couldn't give me a 3rd gen ram for free lol.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 04 Ram and 05 Silverado. Both single cab short bed 4X4s, both with 140k and 170k respectively. Both are beat up work trucks that have done a lot of things they were never designed to do. The Silverado wins the reliability factor hands down. The overall quality is kind of a tie. The front suspension is pretty much identical from truck to truck, but the steering is different. The steering and suspension is noisy on the Chevy, but pretty much everything else is on the Dodge. The exhaust leaks from the manifold on both trucks, but the Chevy just needs a gasket, where the Dodge broke the damn manifold. The interior quality is about the same but the Chevy is more comfortable. The dodge however has more room. There's no beating the reliability of an LS motor, but I can't knock the Hemi. It's running alright as far as I can tell. I'd definitely recommend the Chevy over the Dodge, buy I'm not saying stay away from Dodge (that would be contradicting myself). I am saying stay away from Ford. I've had more of those than anything else and **** THOSE THINGS!

As we say in Sweden "Ingen Ford på min gård" which translate to "No ford on our farm", it rhyme better in swedish :roflsquared:

The extra room will be handy since I'm 6.4, haha!

Thanks alot for sharing your experience. In Sweden Ram is more common than the Silverado. I guess we don't have a Silverado fanboy importer... So for now I'm just waiting for a good deal on either a Ram or Silverado.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi ramdiddle,

" hope you're happier with the Ram after all the trouble!"

Not problem one with the RAM. It has been flawless.

preachp

:waytogo:

the years you mentioned, I'd buy a silverado.

you couldn't give me a 3rd gen ram for free lol.

Is it just the looks or do you have a bad experience with them?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 06 standard cab short box 4x4. I get a consistent 12.5mpg city, don't do much highway so haven't been able to calculate that. The truck runs great. It has 107k miles on it with almost everything original parts. I've replaced the shocks, but that's it. Never had an issue with starting in 0-10° Fahrenheit weather. I haven't had a hard time with maintenance, but I drive pretty slow, with the occasional fast take off from a stop light. I love the truck, just wish I had bought a quad cab for the kids! That's my only regret.

OP
OP
R

ramdiddle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have an 06 standard cab short box 4x4. I get a consistent 12.5mpg city, don't do much highway so haven't been able to calculate that. The truck runs great. It has 107k miles on it with almost everything original parts. I've replaced the shocks, but that's it. Never had an issue with starting in 0-10° Fahrenheit weather. I haven't had a hard time with maintenance, but I drive pretty slow, with the occasional fast take off from a stop light. I love the truck, just wish I had bought a quad cab for the kids! That's my only regret.

Thanks for sharing :waytogo: I got no kids but I'll get a quad cab just for the extra storage space that can be locked in. Allways neat! I wish I could get rambox too but that's probably out of my price range.