Ram warranty/customer service nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_d999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
December 12th my truck tried to kill me,

This is a 2017 ram 2500 with a 6.4 hemi and lifetime maximum care warranty with 68k miles on it.

Driving down a 2 lane slick highway in Cooper landing Alaska. I was cruising 45 mph through a corner in a 55mph zone, felt a little bump and noticed my truck had died. Since I had no power steering/brakes at this point I rolled the truck into nuetral and pushed the start button. Next thing I know the entire cab is filled with electrical smoke and the headlights turn off in the dark. I stab the brakes with both feet and somehow managed to get the truck and trailer stopped while still on the road. Difficult, since I couldn't see the road and nothing electrical in the truck would work, like the windows to let the electrical smoke out.

This happens in an area that has no service 80 miles from home/dealer. Hitch hike to a place with signal 20° outside and call for help.

Get the truck and trailer home with various tow services. Dealer calls and said that the transmission has sized and the starter likely burned up because it couldn't turn the motor. They would put in the warranty request and let me know.

Yesterday my dealer calls and says that a transmission is backordered untill March 1st and they denied the starter repair. I have been 6 week's without a vehicle to drive and have spent 10-15 hours on the phone over the past 5 1/2 weeks trying to get fca, ram, or the warranty to help in some way.

This has been the worst customer experience event I have ever had in my life. My paper weight of a truck is going to spend over a quarter of 2021 on the shop due to ram not having parts to fix it.

@RamCares should be called @ramdoesntcareaboutitscustomers

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess a lesson learned is don't put the truck in neutral and try and restart it..yikes. Any volunteers to see if this is repeatable?

OP
OP
R

Rich_d999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess a lesson learned is don't put the truck in neutral and try and restart it..yikes. Any volunteers to see if this is repeatable?

The little bump was the transmission seazing up and then breaking something inside so the tires could still roll. Likely not repeatable unless someone's transmission grenades like mine did

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The little bump that the transmission seazing up and then breaking something inside so the tires could still roll. Likely not repeatable unless someone's transmission grenades like mine did
yes, but no way would I even want to try and duplicate what happened.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The starter should be covered under the warranty.
You had no idea that the transmission had locked up.
And human nature being what it is you will attempt to start your vehicle to safely move it to the shoulder of the road.
Does anyone at this dealership or fca have any common sense. I bet If it happened to one of them the starter would be covered

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And human nature being what it is you will attempt to start your vehicle to safely move it to the shoulder of the road.
Does anyone at this dealership or fca have any common sense. I bet If it happened to one of them the starter would be covered
The only sense they have is just enough to wiggle out of warranty repairs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rich_d999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'm mostly pissed that after over a month in the shop they are telling me it's still at least 2 months out. Still haven't provided me with a rental or any kind of actual customer service

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
A rental or loaner should be covered under the maxcare warranty....
Only if the Maxcare warranty is what is in effect. If the factory warranty is still in place, a courtesy loaner is not covered.

Octane

Reaction score
In my own experience FCA are a bunch of liars and slow draggers and will fight to the last dollar to screw you over.And will cheat on recalls too.

OP
OP
R

Rich_d999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my own experience FCA are a bunch of liars and slow draggers and will fight to the last dollar to screw you over.And will cheat on recalls too.

I've dealt with many customer service departments over the years and FCA/MAX CARE warranty is by far the worst I have ever spoken with. They just kick you in a circle when you call and don't do anything purposefull

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would think a 2017 with 68k would be out of factory warranty...maybe not?

Bumper to bumper is 3/36 and power train is 5/60?
You’re right, I didn’t see the year/mileage, I was just expounding on your post.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
December 12th my truck tried to kill me,

This is a 2017 ram 2500 with a 6.4 hemi and lifetime maximum care warranty with 68k miles on it.

Driving down a 2 lane slick highway in Cooper landing Alaska. I was cruising 45 mph through a corner in a 55mph zone, felt a little bump and noticed my truck had died. Since I had no power steering/brakes at this point I rolled the truck into nuetral and pushed the start button. Next thing I know the entire cab is filled with electrical smoke and the headlights turn off in the dark. I stab the brakes with both feet and somehow managed to get the truck and trailer stopped while still on the road. Difficult, since I couldn't see the road and nothing electrical in the truck would work, like the windows to let the electrical smoke out.

This happens in an area that has no service 80 miles from home/dealer. Hitch hike to a place with signal 20° outside and call for help.

Get the truck and trailer home with various tow services. Dealer calls and said that the transmission has sized and the starter likely burned up because it couldn't turn the motor. They would put in the warranty request and let me know.

Yesterday my dealer calls and says that a transmission is backordered untill March 1st and they denied the starter repair. I have been 6 week's without a vehicle to drive and have spent 10-15 hours on the phone over the past 5 1/2 weeks trying to get fca, ram, or the warranty to help in some way.

This has been the worst customer experience event I have ever had in my life. My paper weight of a truck is going to spend over a quarter of 2021 on the shop due to ram not having parts to fix it.

@RamCares should be called @ramdoesntcareaboutitscustomers

Hi there-- We're extremely sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing and are glad that everyone is safe! I'd like to look into your situation a little further. Would you mind sending us a private message with your VIN?

Courtney
Ram Cares

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Only if the Maxcare warranty is what is in effect. If the factory warranty is still in place, a courtesy loaner is not covered.
Why wouldn't the Maxcare cover rental regardless of in or out of factory warranty? I don't much about the extended warranty. Paying money for something that starts day one, it better be covered especially since the transmission is being covered. And would be very interested in hearing the reasoning why the starter is not covered. It is a covered part and who wouldn't, in their right mind, try to start truck. What a crock! My wife had extended warranty on her van, took me 5 straight phone hours of moving up chain to finally get a repair covered. Keep on them, you should be successful in getting it all covered. Good luck!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why wouldn't the Maxcare cover rental regardless of in or out of factory warranty? I don't much about the extended warranty. Paying money for something that starts day one, it better be covered especially since the transmission is being covered. And would be very interested in hearing the reasoning why the starter is not covered. It is a covered part and who wouldn't, in their right mind, try to start truck. What a crock! My wife had extended warranty on her van, took me 5 straight phone hours of moving up chain to finally get a repair covered. Keep on them, you should be successful in getting it all covered. Good luck!

There are some parts of MaxCare that dont start at day of purchase, but rental is not one of them:

WHEN PLAN COVERAGE STARTS AND ENDS: Plan coverage begins on the date you purchased the Plan for: (i) a Vehicle component not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty; (ii) Trip Interruption; (iii) Car Rental in respect to covered repairs when a replacement vehicle is not otherwise provided; and (iv) Taxi Reimbursement.

The plan contract also states that the starter motor, solenoid and ring gear are covered.

Im guessing the dealer is trying to get out of it by saying the starter wouldnt have died had they not tried to start/move the truck. But that makes zero sense because common sense (and safety reasons) say you wouldnt just throw your arms up and leave it sitting wherever it dies.