Really torn between muffler delete and Maggy 14"...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Really ready to get this done and stop thinking about it.

I read everywhere about how disappointed so many are with the 14"..How its too quiet until stepped on.. And i like aggressive, and i like it aggressive all the time, not just WOT. The muffler delete is the obvious next choice (or is it?) - however, i'm concerned with low end torque loss. I had this in my F150 with my FM40's and i HATED it. Will it be as bad and as noticable?

Talk me one way or the other :(

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Maggy has a straight thru design, so you will lose the same small amount of torque with either the maggy or delete but gain some high rpm hp. So go with the muffler delete for loud. I have the 14" and it is pretty quiet.

For a lot more power and sound just get a hemifever tune.

Last edited:

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have the delete and honestly i didnt notice the power loss. Its loud when im mashing the pedal.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It depends on whether you live in a residential area or not on how loud you want it.

I'm half joking, but kidding aside, it's bang your head against the wall frustrating when you finally get a crying baby to sleep and a loud car or truck wakes them back up.
It's happened at our house because of a loud diesel Ram in our neighborhood

Ray

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
^^^There is loud, and then there is mind-numbing drone in the cab on the freeway, or neighbor offending life imperiling 'too F'ing loud', "If you start that POS before 6 am again, or come home after 10 pm on a weeknight I’m coming over there with a shotgun!" loud.

What you want is an exhaust note that says "Hey! Look at me, I've got a bad ass truck."

What you don't want is "In your face, I'm the loud punk down the street that wakes everyone up and makes your windows rattle--probasbly because I'm over compensating for a too little manhood package"

Consider when loud is enough, and noise becomes obnoxious.
Why not get a nice Magnaflow set-up and add an electric cut-out/bypass for when circumstances will allow you to be loud without being annoying?!

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Maggy has a straight thru design, so you will lose the same small amount of torque with either the maggy or delete but gain some high rpm hp. So go with the muffler delete for loud. I have the 14" and it is pretty quiet.

For a lot more power and sound just get a hemifever tune.

I'm wondering where you got this information. Do you have some reasoning behind why you're saying that?

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
^^^There is loud, and then there is mind-numbing drone in the cab on the freeway, or neighbor offending life imperiling 'too F'ing loud', "If you start that POS before 6 am again, or come home after 10 pm on a weeknight I’m coming over there with a shotgun!" loud.

What you want is an exhaust note that says "Hey! Look at me, I've got a bad ass truck."

What you don't want is "In your face, I'm the loud punk down the street that wakes everyone up and makes your windows rattle--probasbly because I'm over compensating for a too little manhood package"

Consider when loud is enough, and noise becomes obnoxious.
Why not get a nice Magnaflow set-up and add an electric cut-out/bypass for when circumstances will allow you to be loud without being annoying?!

Well.. where does the delete fit in to this post on the loudness scale? I've not heard in person, so not sure which part of the spectrum it ends. I can watch youtube all day, but until i hear in person....

Ideally, i'd do a 14" + cutout.. but the delete is half the price. If i can live with the power loss, then its good for me.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really ready to get this done and stop thinking about it.

I read everywhere about how disappointed so many are with the 14"..How its too quiet until stepped on.. And i like aggressive, and i like it aggressive all the time, not just WOT. The muffler delete is the obvious next choice (or is it?) - however, i'm concerned with low end torque loss. I had this in my F150 with my FM40's and i HATED it. Will it be as bad and as noticable?

Talk me one way or the other :(

Lucky for you, I've done both and I can give you a bit of perspective. This is a video of my old Mufflex 14, cold start. It has a nice rumble at high idle but is just a tick above stock when fully warm, in my opinion.

2013 RAM 1500 Mufflex DOD14M - Magnaflow - YouTube

Below is what I have now - Mufflex straight pipe. Not my truck in the vid but mine sounds the same during a warm start up. It is loud during a cold start at fast idle.

2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Straight Pipe - YouTube

I like my straight pipe better as far as sound goes but I must caution you. Some say that they don't have drone at highway speeds. I have drone in mine but as soon as the weather gets warmer, I'm going to install the mufflex drone suppression pipe to calm down the drone.

If I'm at a stop light, the truck is very quiet. Almost the same as my old Maggy 14. You wouldn't know it unless I was stopped next to a stock truck. When flooring on the onramp, it sings.

Your choice but I went with straight pipes because my 14 was too quiet. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Oh and I can't really tell if I lost any mid-range power. I noticed that the truck pulls more now in the upper RPMs but I honestly don't remember if it was always like this or if it started because of the K&N intake I added. Unless you are at the track all the time, I doubt if you notice the difference in power. I sure don't.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So if I want to remove the muffler and just go with a straight pipe what is the part actually called? I want to do this for now until summer when I get a new header/exhaust.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Muffler delete if you're getting it from Mufflex.

Round here we call 'em straight pipes!

:grd:

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
I got muffler delete & it's loud at cold start up for sure. To best describe the muffler delete it's loud not tht annoying at idle but gets louder the more u press gas pedal. Definitely drones on highway for me with 3.92 gears freeway speed at 2000 rpm. It drones at 2000 rpms & gas is applied at constant steady 70mph. Thought I would like loud all the time but the drone on long trips gives me a headache sometimes. I'm switching it out for 18" maggy. Hope this helps

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 14" Magnaflow on my 2008 QC dumped right before the axle. The volume actually got annoying after a time....

On my 2010 CC, I have an 18" Magnaflow dumped over the axle. You definitely still hear it. It's just not so obnoxious.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
I got muffler delete & it's loud at cold start up for sure. To best describe the muffler delete it's loud not tht annoying at idle but gets louder the more u press gas pedal. Definitely drones on highway for me with 3.92 gears freeway speed at 2000 rpm. It drones at 2000 rpms & gas is applied at constant steady 70mph. Thought I would like loud all the time but the drone on long trips gives me a headache sometimes. I'm switching it out for 18" maggy. Hope this helps

How does this drone compare the the OEM "drone"?

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well.. where does the delete fit in to this post on the loudness scale? I've not heard in person, so not sure which part of the spectrum it ends. I can watch youtube all day, but until i hear in person....

Ideally, i'd do a 14" + cutout.. but the delete is half the price. If i can live with the power loss, then its good for me.

I was in the same situation as you. Couldn't decide even after watching YouTube for hours (like you said, it's just not the same)
I met up with lone12star the other day so I could hear his delete. Not nearly as loud as people make it out to be. Yes, when you're getting on it of course it is loud but just easy acceleration and cruising it sounds great and not too loud.

We were standing at the back corner of his truck having a normal voice level conversation with the truck running (warm truck so low/normal idle).

I will be putting a delete/straight on my truck.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
I was in the same situation as you. Couldn't decide even after watching YouTube for hours (like you said, it's just not the same)
I met up with lone12star the other day so I could hear his delete. Not nearly as loud as people make it out to be. Yes, when you're getting on it of course it is loud but just easy acceleration and cruising it sounds great and not too loud.

We were standing at the back corner of his truck having a normal voice level conversation with the truck running (warm truck so low/normal idle).

I will be putting a delete/straight on my truck.

Sounds great. Did you get to check out drone?

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We cruised at probably 50-55 and I didn't notice any.
I'll update you when I get mine on. I think it'll be this weekend.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
We cruised at probably 50-55 and I didn't notice any.
I'll update you when I get mine on. I think it'll be this weekend.

Perfect, i'll probably order mine in the next week or two, so let us know.