Rear differential oil for 2WD limited slip 2001 Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar~Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have what I'm pretty sure is limited slip option (I ordered this truck new back in 2001 and it's supposed to have it). The rear cover has 12 bolts if that is any indication. The truck has 62k miles on it, and hasn't had the rear oil changed. So I'm thinking about doing it.

Assuming it is limited slip, I have Pennzoil Platinum 75W-140 Limited Slip full synthetic and Castrol 80W-90 limited slip (non synthetic). I'm guessing that the factory spec would call for the Castrol? Would it be "wrong" to put the Pennzoil in? I don't really have a use for either one otherwise, although I'm thinking of maybe changing the differential oil in my 2004 300m and maybe using one of these (not sure bad things will happen if I put in a "limited-slip" oil into the 300m differential?

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It won't hurt either way, but Castrol in rear, and Pennzoil in the front would be the better option.
Also, LSD calls for Friction Modifier in the rear Diff, so buy a bottle of that, put it in, then add the oil.