Rear window leaking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 07' Quad Cab developed a water leak at the rear window. At first I thought it was leaking at the 3rd brake light so I sealed it with silicone. The leak continued so Friday I took my truck to a glass shop. The original slider window had been replaced with a like new unit before I bought my truck. The slider wasn't installed properly as there was a very small gap all along the top of the window. I had a non-slider tinted window installed. I have included a photo of the old slider and the new window.IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0593.JPG

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had a similar situation with my 2017 Ram 1500. I bought it used and the fixed rear glass had been replaced before I bought the truck. It leaked like crazy due to a shoddy install. I thought it was the 3rd brake light as well and went through all the motions to rectify that. Had to pay a glass guy to remove and reseal the glass. All good now.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I had a similar situation with my 2017 Ram 1500. I bought it used and the fixed rear glass had been replaced before I bought the truck. It leaked like crazy due to a shoddy install. I thought it was the 3rd brake light as well and went through all the motions to rectify that. Had to pay a glass guy to remove and reseal the glass. All good now.

I got my truck back Friday, Saturday early morning it poured down rain, I found water in the storage bins again, so she goes back to the glass installers Monday. I looked at my 3rd brake light the silicone sealer is visible all the way around the light assembly so I don't think that is the leaking point.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I got my truck back Friday, Saturday early morning it poured down rain, I found water in the storage bins again, so she goes back to the glass installers Monday. I looked at my 3rd brake light the silicone sealer is visible all the way around the light assembly so I don't think that is the leaking point.
Hey just an FYI, it could also be your cab vents on the back of the cab, it took me weeks to figure out where it was coming from. Gl.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Check for signs of water down the rear pillars to pinpoint if it's coming from up high. Wetness on the headliner too.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I took my truck back to the glass installer, told them about the water intrusion in both storage bins, both had about 3/16ths to 1/4 inch of standing water. The installer parked the truck up hill, poured water all over the rear of the cab, no water got in, then he parked the truck down hill, ran water again, no water got in, then we parked the truck on level ground, like I had parked at home, he ran a lot of water over the back of the cab, especially a couple of minutes over the 3rd brake light, for about 5 minutes the water ran, still no signs of water getting inside the cab. Next rain is coming this weekend. I will have to stay in the truck for a while looking for the leak/leaks. Rain started Friday night, so I will check the rear of cab again, before I take her to Best Buy to get my new double din Kenwood head unit installed, along with a forward video camera.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey just an FYI, it could also be your cab vents on the back of the cab, it took me weeks to figure out where it was coming from. Gl.

How did you solve it?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
How did you solve it?
On my mega cab, the rear seat needs to come out to gain access to remove the rear panel and get to them. I’m in the middle of doing it but broke my hand last week so it’s ideled at the moment. Or take the bed off and seal them from the outside but I’d rather do it the right way.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
On my mega cab, the rear seat needs to come out to gain access to remove the rear panel and get to them. I’m in the middle of doing it but broke my hand last week so it’s ideled at the moment. Or take the bed off and seal them from the outside but I’d rather do it the right way.

If I find water in the storage bins again, I will be removing the rear seats and the insulation panel behind the seats to further investigate where the water is getting into the cab.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yesterday I found my water leak. I purchased a new LED 3rd brake light, to replace my current LED 3rd brake light. I had siliconed both the light unit and a bead on the truck. I had one hell of a time getting the light out, breaking the lens in the process. Upon checking the old light I could see where water had travelled down from the top center, running down the housing, then dripping off the bottom. I installed my new light assembly with a single bead of silicone on the gasket, hoping this leak has been fixed. It's suppose to rain Thursday and Friday, so that will be a good test.

Reactions: JB1

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you do I have sunroof, I’m betting it’s the drains are plugged. There are 2 drain exits at the back of the cab between the bed. If you get something long enough to “jab” them, water will come ******* out. There are also drains on th front door post by top hinge. Using your finger you can work them loose. I had this happen to me. Ended up trimming a piece of the cab side because they would always plug up and water would leak into the bins.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No, she doesn't have a sunroof. That is one accessory I wouldn't have on a vehicle, nothing but problems in my opinion. I am still not sure I have completely stopped water from entering, this next week there will be more rain, that will give me a good idea as to whether I have cured the water leak.