Remote Start Inop @ 18°F and Whining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
This is a weird one and I can't pinpoint what's going on but it seems temp related. Here goes...

Two days in a row now, it's been 18 degrees F. I attempted to remote start my 2017 Ram 4x4 Limited (62k miles) and it cranks fine from starter then attempts to run only to act like it can't turn over and shuts off. I'm running 5w30 Redline oil and never had an issue in that regard. No known lifter tick and @Burla youve verified that all sounds good before. No CEL and ive gone through all checklists of what it could be. None of those. It has a 2 month old Odyssey AGM. Please view the videos attached and offer any advice you can. Thanks.

This video is attempt to remote start followed by failure: https://youtube.com/shorts/mY0G7ZUtBsE?feature=share

This video is the sound of some kind of strange whining noise after manually starting following a failed remote start: https://youtube.com/shorts/HWUq4ba1GK0?feature=share

Finally, this video is the engine bay shortly after starting and sounds like what maybe could be piston slap but I don't know:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oem battery? You dont need to see my capacity chart versus lifespan chart? In cold areas you lose capacity but the battery will work fine, it is hard on starts where you need cca for that hemi. Get a h8 battery next time, you might need to make it fit.

Second one, only happens when cold? Sounds like pully bearing, the lubricant is likely frozen. If water pump was dying you would hear it even warm.

Yeah, 3rd isnt our usual lifter tick, again only happens when cold? If yes, piston slap for sure.

AAAAAAAAAZo%2fAYJGlGddSC4%2fs1600%2fBatteryCapLife.jpg

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I have a Odyssey H7 94R AGM with 800 CCA. I bought the battery back in October. For the sake of checking I took it to OReilly and they showed battery is good but it needs charged. It's been working fine since I bought it but hasn't been put to cold weather test until recently. Alternator seemed to have kept it charged this time. It tested good too. Weird.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I might be inclined to not worry at this point, see if it happens when warm out. If you remote start it again will it fail again or the second time it will spin? Gas also has weird properties on the cold, something more people don't think about. Maybe it isnt atomizing just for that second. I'm no expert on cold starts, being in nor cal all my life. Check air filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what oil is in there?

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
what oil is in there?
Works every time after the first. Especially when warm. I have brand new 5w30 redline in it. I need to check the air filter. That I haven't checked.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I might be inclined to not worry at this point, see if it happens when warm out. If you remote start it again will it fail again or the second time it will spin? Gas also has weird properties on the cold, something more people don't think about. Maybe it isnt atomizing just for that second. I'm no expert on cold starts, being in nor cal all my life. Check air filter.
Also. I only use 89 octane top tier gas from Sinclair. It's pretty damn good gas but maybe I got **** gas this time. I may just try another station.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I'm gonna test the alternator at home and then put the battery on a conditioner. I ordered the battery from FCP Euro and not only will they replace my battery free of charge if I just want a new one (I feel inclined) they're covering shipping 100% too. Super cool.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Mine remote started at -7F today just fine. Didn't even crank longer than normal. My issued car cranked longer, though. Is there a time out on remote start where if it doesn't catch quick enough it gives up?

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Mine remote started at -7F today just fine. Didn't even crank longer than normal. My issued car cranked longer, though. Is there a time out on remote start where if it doesn't catch quick enough it gives up?
That's a good question. I'm gonna start with the easiest solution. Check alternator functionality and then put battery on conditioner/charger overnight.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Mine remote started at -26F yesterday and today. 5w30 redline, smooth as butter.

I was kinda wondering If I was going to hear anything different as it had to be outside the last two days all day and only in the garage at night.

It been very cold In Montana

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's a good question. I'm gonna start with the easiest solution. Check alternator functionality and then put battery on conditioner/charger overnight.
Being in Idaho,you should have a block heater ,it'd help if you plugged it in,takes alot of wear and tear off things when cold starting it. If it doesn't have a block heater,an oil pan heater is far easier to install,and would make a world of differance in how it starts and how quick it'll build oil pressure,when the temp gets down below 10F

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Mine remote started at -26F yesterday and today. 5w30 redline, smooth as butter.

I was kinda wondering If I was going to har anything different as it had to be outside the last two days all day and only in the garage at night.

It been very cold In

Being in Idaho,you should have a block heater ,it'd help if you plugged it in,takes alot of wear and tear off things when cold starting it. If it doesn't have a block heater,an oil pan heater is far easier to install,and would make a world of differance in how it starts and how quick it'll build oil pressure,when the temp gets down below 10F
I do have a block heater. I'll definitely use it. You ever hear this noise before (see YouTube link below) @Wild one and @Burla ? This literally just started when I got home lol things like to creep up together all at once don't they? Lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nope new one, sounds just like a 351 start with the fuel pump, but it is in the back of the truck. I have no guess on that one.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Nope new one, sounds just like a 351 start with the fuel pump, but it is in the back of the truck. I have no guess on that one.
hmm, yeah there's quite a few folks who have been complaining about the high pitch one in the past. Different years.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Should I really need a block heater in 20f weather? Seems a bit much. Trucks in Boise are never sold with block heaters from factory unless customer built them that way, at least none that I've seen around here. This was a Canadian truck though

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Should I really need a block heater in 20f weather? Seems a bit much. Trucks in Boise are never sold with block heaters from factory unless customer built them that way, at least none that I've seen around here. This was a Canadian truck though
Probably not,but if you have to run outside to manually start it,i'd be inclined to try plugging it in,and see what happens. I have my outdoor plugs on switches inside the house,with an oil pan heater and block heater,i flip the switch an hour or 2 before needing the vehicle,and they fire up like it's a summer day,even at -30F

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s

@Wild one @Burla @Bigskyroadglide
Got my Odyssey Performance AGM H7 out of the truck and on the charger. I didn't heat the block overnight so I could compare. Battery was at 50% charged (approximately 12.2v) when I hooked it up to my Digital Optima 400 Battery Charger/maintainer. Overnight it charged up to 100% and 12.7 volts. Put it in the truck and it started up just fine on remote start. Zero hesitation. Strong start. Check out the video above. Let me know what ya think. Didn't seem to hear any weird noises. Just normal cold start noises. Maybe a pulley or something wearing down a bit. Idk.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

@Wild one @Burla @Bigskyroadglide
Got my Odyssey Performance AGM H7 out of the truck and on the charger. I didn't heat the block overnight so I could compare. Battery was at 50% charged (approximately 12.2v) when I hooked it up to my Digital Optima 400 Battery Charger/maintainer. Overnight it charged up to 100% and 12.7 volts. Put it in the truck and it started up just fine on remote start. Zero hesitation. Strong start. Check out the video above. Let me know what ya think. Didn't seem to hear any weird noises. Just normal cold start noises. Maybe a pulley or something wearing down a bit. Idk.
You might want to look into a battery tender or a battery warmer then.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've never used a block heater. Doesn't get all that cold here.
Currently it's -15c with wind chill -25c. Usually -35c is coldest it gets here.

If the battery is good and you don't have anything drawing power when it's off.
I would check all wires every where. Make sure no animal has started to chewy on any of them.

That noise to me, sounds like wrong voltage/amps to fan. could be wrong though.