Remote start with check engine light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Worryabout2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel 3.0
hi, I have 2016 Ram 1500 eco diesel with orginal factory installed remote start, now it coming out a Check Engine light on. the error said the PFD need repair, but the shop want to change me $1500 to do it, does anyone know how to bypass this error messenge using Alfaobd software , so I can still remote start truck under cold weather. thanks.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Idling a cold diesel engine, especially in a cold climate, is about the worst thing you can do to it. Diesels don’t generate much heat at idle to warm themselves.

I know that doesn’t answer your question, however it’s likely one reason you have DPF problems.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's most likely in the ECM that doesn't allow remote start with a CEL, it would most likely need to be changed with a tune(not something AlfaOBD is capable of).

As for the idling when cold with the EcoDiesel, it will actually elevate the idling to warm the engine when cold. Keep the HVAC temperature turned up as the truck also has PTC heaters that operate up till the coolant is 100°F.
Unless the engine is idled excessively I doubt it caused the DPF problems.

OP
OP
W

Worryabout2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel 3.0
Idling a cold diesel engine, especially in a cold climate, is about the worst thing you can do to it. Diesels don’t generate much heat at idle to warm themselves.

I know that doesn’t answer your question, however it’s likely one reason you have DPF problems.
you are right , remote start is manufactory building into car. I know all ECO DIESEL has same the problem with DPF system.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every newer car that I know of with factory installed remote start will not work if the check engine light is on. Not aware of anyway to defeat that without some type of custom programming........and wouldn't recommend doing that anyway.
There are no issues with idling a diesel engine or a relationship with DPF failures either. First of all, it's not like the Ram engineers decided to just randomly add remote start to these trucks without doing extensive testing. Second of all the amount of particulates while idling are extremely small and no reason they would cause issue. Any comment otherwise is simply speculation and not based on any real testing.

jake0207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco
I had this problem i got sick of diffrent codes popping up from emmisons I've got a 15 eco d.
I went ahead and tuned it deleted all of it no more def fluid in one year ill make half the money back for the tune.
NO more SCR no CAT no dpf filter no more of any of it....

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Would an engine block heater be helpful for this?

I have one in my Hemi, and it's very nice in the winter. I plug it when I get home from work, and the next morning the heater is blowing warm air the moment I start the engine.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I did a google search and unless the internet lied to me :33:

The Ecodiesel engines come with a block heater already installed. Even if you didn't get the block heater option.

All you need to do is buy a cord? Anyone know if this is true?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat