Replace one or more tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was stupid yesterday and curbed one of my tires. At my own house. Lol. The pointy curb (more like a step for my side door) took a chuck out of the sidewall.

My truck (‘21 bighorn quad) only has 12,400 miles on it.

Can I get away with just replacing that tire or should I buy two or four new tires? My initial thought with my mileage is the one will be fine but what do I know!?

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was stupid yesterday and curbed one of my tires. At my own house. Lol. The pointy curb (more like a step for my side door) took a chuck out of the sidewall.

My truck (‘21 bighorn quad) only has 12,400 miles on it.

Can I get away with just replacing that tire or should I buy two or four new tires? My initial thought with my mileage is the one will be fine but what do I know!?
Absolutely, that's really low mileage.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really low miles. Now, I would replace both either it be front/rear, but not all 4, but that is just ME. But as TRAY said: one should be ok, but I like matched tires, not one with over 10K on it vs the other tire. JUST my personal preference.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Have the tire shop measure the wear on the tires you aren't replacing, versus a new tire. Take the spare tire, which is still brand new, and match it to the new one and put them on the rear of the truck. Matched set. Take the next two best matched put on front, take most worn and put on spare This works like rotating the tires as the rears wear the fastest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have the tire shop measure the wear on the tires you aren't replacing, versus a new tire. Take the spare tire and match it to the new one and put them on the rear of the truck. Take the next two best matched put on front, take most worn and put on spare This works like rotating the tires as the rears wear the fastest.
I haven’t looked obviously but the spare is the same tire? On a night edition big horn?

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
You could buy two tires and get a spare matching rim, and rotate it in. Dont know if it will fit in the spare well.
I dread using the doughnut spare on a LSD, for long distance.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I haven’t looked obviously but the spare is the same tire? On a night edition big horn?
Never thought of that, you will have to look, all my trucks come with a full size spare but they are 2500s. If yours is a mini, match the new tire to the least worn, put on back, put other two on front. If it was me and the truck had a mini spare, I would put a full size spare on the truck.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah the spare is a donut style. Doesn’t match the others

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think you have stock rubber right? Dealers usually have re-claims in stock from people changing to AT tires and they usually let them go at a great price.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think you have stock rubber right? Dealers usually have re-claims in stock from people changing to AT tires and they usually let them go at a great price.
Never heard of this. I’ll give them a call. Cheapest I found them were $200 a tire

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Never heard of this. I’ll give them a call. Cheapest I found them were $200 a tire
Call a couple more dealers if yours won't play. I know my dealer had 50 sets of takeoffs this spring. They sold wheels and tires to some other tire shops for 800 a set. The only issue is finding someone that will sell you just one tire unless they peeled a set of five off a truck. Kijiji is another great spot to buy single new tires, lots of guys have them from swapping out full size spares.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Meant to say takeoff not reclaim! lol I was searching for the word.

Last year when I picked up my truck from the dealer, noticed a nail in the sidewall and they used that to replace mine. (what luck eh?) It was brand new on top of that which was nice.
It was covored for me as it was on a 5K warranty for new vehicles. But I think they were letting them go for $160 bucks.