Replacing Crank Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyebolts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10 magnum
Well, I'm trying to get to this frikkin' crank shaft position sensor and the only thing I figure is to remove the motor mount because the sensor is too long to remove (not the cam shaft sensor). Where is the best place to attach cherry picker on this engine?
It's a 96 Dodge Ram 2500 v10 8.0L standard cab( long bed)

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I took the passenger-side fender off. the effort isn't too bad. then you can reach around the exhaust manifold and remove it with 10mm socket with a long extension. my 2 bolts were difficult to remove. I couldn't get enough leverage with the hex wrench.
I'd use a 1/4 in drive to access the 2 sensor bolts if possible, but 3/8" drive worked for me. you need a swivel on the socket end due to the angle.

it's a blind job. you can barely view it with a bright flashlight but you have to take it out by feel and memory. still a lot easier than lifting the engine.

if you can undo a bra with one hand you can unplug the sensor wire. lol.

put a bit of lube on the bolts before you re-install everything so you can start them by fingers. tighten it up making sure it's level. I didn't remove the soft seal when I changed mine. the sensor only goes in one way.