Replacing Exhaust Manifold 07 , 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyHarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Hello all. Well i took the plunge and tore down that Ram 6.7 because of the exhaust manifold leak. Recall that i had another post where i had lost almost all my power coming back to West Texas from Houston. I was never able to pinpoint the exact problem so i decided to just fix everything. I WAS gonna buy a new truck until the price tag said $90K! That killed it for me and i will just spend whatever it takes to get the 07 up to date.
I removed all the stuff that stood in the way of removing the exhaust manifold and i can tell you it was a nightmare! There were 4 bolts on the very last 2 cylinders that are broken off flush with the head. Gonna be hard getting the fragments out. Can you believe that i even had to remove the alternator? Because there was a support bracket for a water supply that went to the EGR cooler behind it and was the only way to access the first cylinder bottom manifold bolt. Sums up to appear that these manufacturers do this to keep you from working on your own car? LOL
I am now looking at replacing that stock manifold with the aftermarket 2 piece one. It appears appealing. But i do have some questions that prevent me from going forth. I need to get the pros and cons of the experts that frequent this forum. It is better to hear it from those that have been there and done that than to leap over the ledge without knowing whats below.
So that being said, here are my questions:
1) Has anyone installed the 2 piece manifold before and was it the best choice?
2) Which bolts should i use to install that 2 piece manifold? Seems there are 2 choices. The short ones that do NOT use those tube spacers and the long ones that do use the tubes. Which ones are the best.
3) Am i supposed to re install that heat shield? That thing is a pita and appears to be redundant.
4) I am replacing every water hose on this engine but ca NOT find a good source for ALL the hoses, any ideas?
5) I am replacing the entire turbo system, replacing all the rubber boots and am gonna leave off that nasty egr thingy.
Thanks so much. BTW, This engine has 330K miles on it and still strong.
All your help is gretly appreciated.

1BADDREAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Megacab
Engine
Hello all. Well i took the plunge and tore down that Ram 6.7 because of the exhaust manifold leak. Recall that i had another post where i had lost almost all my power coming back to West Texas from Houston. I was never able to pinpoint the exact problem so i decided to just fix everything. I WAS gonna buy a new truck until the price tag said $90K! That killed it for me and i will just spend whatever it takes to get the 07 up to date.
I removed all the stuff that stood in the way of removing the exhaust manifold and i can tell you it was a nightmare! There were 4 bolts on the very last 2 cylinders that are broken off flush with the head. Gonna be hard getting the fragments out. Can you believe that i even had to remove the alternator? Because there was a support bracket for a water supply that went to the EGR cooler behind it and was the only way to access the first cylinder bottom manifold bolt. Sums up to appear that these manufacturers do this to keep you from working on your own car? LOL
I am now looking at replacing that stock manifold with the aftermarket 2 piece one. It appears appealing. But i do have some questions that prevent me from going forth. I need to get the pros and cons of the experts that frequent this forum. It is better to hear it from those that have been there and done that than to leap over the ledge without knowing whats below.
So that being said, here are my questions:
1) Has anyone installed the 2 piece manifold before and was it the best choice?
2) Which bolts should i use to install that 2 piece manifold? Seems there are 2 choices. The short ones that do NOT use those tube spacers and the long ones that do use the tubes. Which ones are the best.
3) Am i supposed to re install that heat shield? That thing is a pita and appears to be redundant.
4) I am replacing every water hose on this engine but ca NOT find a good source for ALL the hoses, any ideas?
5) I am replacing the entire turbo system, replacing all the rubber boots and am gonna leave off that nasty egr thingy.
Thanks so much. BTW, This engine has 330K miles on it and still strong.
All your help is gretly appreciated.
Did you ever get any more info on the manifold? I have found out I have an exhaust leak and the manifold is shrunk or warped. I've heard about 2 piece ones but I'm not sure that's the best bet. What did you end up doing on yours?