Replacing Garage Opener Switches with Regular Toggle Switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B Dauterive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone tried to replace the three button garage opener panel in the overhead console with a regular toggle switch panel?

I'm debating on attempting this and I cant find any toggle switches that will fit that slot by default so I may have to custom make something. I also don't know what type of cables are being ran to panel and how how power they draw. I want to wire of radar detector and dash cam directly into said over head console so I can turn them on and off as needed and avoid running wires everywhere.

Any info or suggestions would be great.

2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perhaps not directly helpful, but every radar detector and dashcam I've seen have power buttons on them, might be more effort than its worth especially if the ECU freaks out by having a device unplugged. On most dashcams its also better rather than turning it off to just hit the pause button most have, as that way it unpauses itself on the next power cycle so you don't forget to turn it back on. My dad got into an accident and the dashcam I installed for him he had turned off ages ago and forgot to turn it back on, and long story short it would have won him the case since there was a dispute.

OP
OP
B

B Dauterive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You make a good point. The main reason I wanted to do it is so I could potentially use the overhead console as a power source for them. That way I wouldn't have to run all the cables.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can still tap power from up there without deleting the homelink ( or anything else for that matter ). There are quite a few posts on the subject- search function is your friend! :)

OP
OP
B

B Dauterive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh nice, I wasn't sure if the power requirements would be good enough or not. I'm still new to this forum so I've been looking around but I think I need to specific better lol.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't find the thread, and it might be on one of the other forums but one guy hooked up his wig-wags for his lights (police or fire) and it was pretty awesome. If I find it I will share the link.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I powered my radar detector off the overhead console, and then my dash cam off the cig lighter outlet under the radio at a later date. Pulling that console down is a huge pain in the ass and not worth the time. Running the wires down the a pillar trim took half the time it takes wrestling with that console.

OP
OP
B

B Dauterive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah it was a pain in my 2012 ram as well, I just like how clean it looked lol. I hate having wires running across the console and I don't know if I'm gonna need to pop off the headliner to run the rear view dashcam.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I powered my radar detector off the overhead console, and then my dash cam off the cig lighter outlet under the radio at a later date. Pulling that console down is a huge pain in the ass and not worth the time. Running the wires down the a pillar trim took half the time it takes wrestling with that console.
I did the same, and tucking in the USB cable for the dashcam was actually pretty effortless. Radar detector I plugged into my powered rearview mirror plug with a $10 part I got on amazon that just had two prongs to insert.

It wasn't this one, but very similar: https://www.amazon.com/Xislet-Detector-Replacement-Valentine-Beltronics/dp/B082V1245P/

The only hard part was reading online what colors to tap into which I can't recall offhand and may vary by model year, otherwise a 5 min clean install.