Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Slowly but surely, I am progressing to all LED lights in my 2018 2500! This video shows how to upgrade your reverse light bulbs with LEDs. The LEDs used are much brighter, thus more people WILL stop to allow you to backup (if you park front facing in). These lights are bright, and prove their worth, especially for the price I paid on amazon. https://amzn.to/2E1fy1O

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its nice to really be able to see behind you. LEDs for reverse lights plus my Putco Blade just wake everything up at night.

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Its nice to really be able to see behind you. LEDs for reverse lights plus my Putco Blade just wake everything up at night.
It’s crazy how people immediately stop and let you back up with the brightness of the bulbs.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the info and videos . My bulbs should be here tomorrow!

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought these and got them installed. They are a lot more blue than I thought they would be.

They are brighter than the incandescent bulb but not nearly as bright as I was hoping for.

Additionally, I noticed that when looking at the backup camera, the refresh rate causes the scrolling on the display. I haven't seen anyone else mention this before and hadn't thought about it until seeing it.

Is this common on all LED bulb upgrades?

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Bought these and got them installed. They are a lot more blue than I thought they would be.

They are brighter than the incandescent bulb but not nearly as bright as I was hoping for.

Additionally, I noticed that when looking at the backup camera, the refresh rate causes the scrolling on the display. I haven't seen anyone else mention this before and hadn't thought about it until seeing it.

I think they are really bright! As far as the refresh rate and how there is scrolling on the screen, I don't have that issue. How long have you had them installed?

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think they are really bright! As far as the refresh rate and how there is scrolling on the screen, I don't have that issue. How long have you had them installed?
A little more than a week.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed the reverse and cargo lights after getting them....same ones listed in this thread...

I really like them. I agree that they look blueish compared to the regular bulbs. I haven’t noticed any issues at all while viewing the camera. Definitely weird.

I love the difference they made in the cargo lights. It really lights things up.

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed the reverse and cargo lights after getting them....same ones listed in this thread...

I really like them. I agree that they look blueish compared to the regular bulbs. I haven’t noticed any issues at all while viewing the camera. Definitely weird.

I love the difference they made in the cargo lights. It really lights things up.
I actually bought a set for the cargo lights as well, but haven't put them in yet. Haven't decided if I am gonna keep them or not...

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I noticed a much bigger improvement in the cargo lights vs the reverse lights. That said, im not unhappy with them as reverse lights.

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The cargo lights are great when I am working early (4-6am) with no illumination. Before I would have to use my phone light to help out my cargo lights.

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

What is the lumen rating on the bulbs you installed? Mine are 1,000 lumen, and super bright white, and it looks like I have headlights in reverse lol. I also have the scrolling effect in reverse.

received_283649759166811.jpeg

received_269247213729627.jpeg

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the change to LED reverse lights and for sure they are brighter so much so that when backing up at night the back up camera display on my 8.4 screen almost blinds me (will it does not blind me but....) it’s so bright in the cab. I’m still old school and use the mirrors more than the camera. Looking at the passenger side mirror is a bit difficult due to the high contrast between the screen and outside view. My old eye's are sort of overwhelmed by the screen. I started putting my hand up to shade my eyes from the screen. Still like the LEDs though, they’re like aircraft landing lights coming at the other motorist.

Having installed the LEDs I started noticing other reverse lights on other vehicles. I wonder if in the design phase of production that some manufactures only see the reverse light as a "warning light" for other motorist, and not an actually functioning lighting medium to light your way when backing up. On my now since departed 03 SLT I had at one time thought to install aux back up lights (a set of small driving lights) below the rear bumper, which would actually do a better job of throwing light out behind the truck.

The units I installed are: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01H57FXWA/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_2

One thing to take note of with these LED units, they are polarity critical. You've got a 50/50 chance of installing them correctly the first time. If one or both fail to light up after install, simply remove the bulb and rotate them 180 degree's and re-install (as I did) and hey presto, there is light! I had a "WTF" moment there for second until I spun the bulbs around. Or wise the install is plug and play.

T.

Last edited:

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The Amazon listing says these lights are 2,000 lumen.

It may be the cargo and license lamps that are 1,000 lumen. I've installed so many lights on my truck it is hard to keep them straight lol.

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My lights are inbound. Set to arrive Friday. Will get em installed this weekend.

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got mine in. Tried to order 2 sets but Internet was wonky and I must’ve fat fingered it so only got 1 set.

I installed this set on backup lights as they’re used more. Will order another set for cargo lights.

Got these installed and they work well. Initially-got an error code of REAR TURN SIGNAL OUT. Cycled truck on and off a couple times and it cleared itself out.

Now they seem to work fine. Definitely bright.

Good upgrade

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye