Ring and Pinion help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vpmach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have decided to replace my 3.21 gears with 3.92s for better towing. I've searched and searched, and I'm still not certain what the right kits are. I would prefer to stay mopar for the ring and pinion, but good with any brand rebuild kit. Can someone help point me in right direction?

2019 new 1500 4x2 larmie longhorn crew cab

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know much about where to source the best Ring & pinion setup, so i will pass on that.

I will suggest that you stay away from the Open Carrier, unless you don't care if just the right rear tire pushes you along
( affectionately known as a One Wheel Wonder )

Nd9GcQkguMhBt4RpSmoYR2KznM7a0-mmTinm1xuOQ&usqp=CAU.jpg
Nd9GcS09yVwYhaSxKPsckl4m9DtSLHWoVYx-LQMsg&usqp=CAU.jpg

You need 2 wheels pushing you in sand, mud, snow, etc.

OP
OP
V

Vpmach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks... really just looking at gears not differential.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried recently to order the gear sets for mine, and was unable to from Dodge. Just not available and they have no idea when they will be in stock. They also couldn't tell me whether I would need to change the carrier or not to keep my factory LSD. However I'm under the impression that the carrier is now the ring gear itself (welded). Not for sure though.

When I priced everything including the labor to have someone set them up it was cheaper for me to go the junkyard method.

I was lucky enough to purchase a set from a buddy of mine from up north. They recently got a couple of DT Rebel's and so I managed to get a front and rear with lockers freighted to my door. Even lucked out both have less than 30K on them, hell I've already got 60K+ on my 3.21's now. So I'm pretty stocked. Freight company called me yesterday to arrange the drop off tomorrow so I'm pretty excited about it.

With you only wanting the rear might be a cheap way to go.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks... really just looking at gears not differential.
When we bought our 2019 Ram, We needed to upgrade our tow vehicle in order to tow a bigger RV Trailer. I was looking for a 4X2 with a locker differential. Could not find one.
So, we "settled" on a 4X4. I can not tell you how many times the 4X4 was needed with the trailer. Just to get it out of my uphill gravel parking space at home.

My point? Go for a locking differential. You will thank GTyankee

Good Luck.