Rotary Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMengdensStache

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Thinking about buying a 1500 Classic. Love everything about the truck--except the rotary shifter. Drove me crazy on the test drive.

Did it bother anyone else when you bought yours? How do you feel about it now?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What's there to drive you crazy, put the truck in gear and go! The transmission is responsive and knows what gear to be in and if your towing/hauling hit the Tow/Haul button simple as that.
You'll find there will be several whiners about not having a column shift but that's just because they don't have it to play with while driving and play with their other stick could get them arrested [emoji16]

The transmission in these truck is probably one of the best things Ram did, makes all the difference in how the truck drives.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't care for it at all either. But in time I got used to it an no big deal. I'm glad they put a safety feature in it tho because there have been times I forgot to shift into park.
An there's just something about pushing buttons on a steering wheel to get into 1st gear that still seems odd to me. Grab the shifter pull er down an go.
Oh well times have changed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Technology is funny. We eliminated the dial on the phone but put into a vehicle all in the name of technological progress. It takes some getting used to but it’ll feel natural to you in time. Next step is voice command shift.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Every once in a while, I find myself reaching for the column shift handle and it is not there. ;)
I did that a lot at first as well. Sometimes I still make the same motion before reaching for that knob. Thankfully I still have some normalcy in that my transfer case shifter is on the floor. That I just can't give up, no floor linkage shifter no deal

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love it! It's 2020, embrace change...

I have a Big Horn that came with the black rubber and chrome dial shifter. I replaced is with the aluminum knurled shifter dial from a Sport trim level truck...feels MUCH better now!

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't bother me at all, though the other day I was backing up and went to turn my fan speed down and shifted into park. Obviously, it did not shift into park, but aggravated me none the less, but no big deal.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I cant say it bothered me, but it's taken some getting used to. The other day I thought I would be slick and not look to shift into reverse, ended up lowering the fan speed instead.....:oops:
Too funny

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hated column shifters preferring, manual transmission I steered toward console shift. You can't argue with the space savings of the rotary shifter. My wife thinks it is weird still. I think it is the best thing ever. I will say the 5th Gen repositioned it and made it smoother to rotate and the Laramie aluminum shifter knob is awesome.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I love it. Once you have it, it becomes a non-issue. It's all good.

Red

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thinking about buying a 1500 Classic. Love everything about the truck--except the rotary shifter. Drove me crazy on the test drive.

Did it bother anyone else when you bought yours? How do you feel about it now?

Took me a couple of weeks to get used to and every time I drive my wife's car I reach for the dash instead the colsole. Other than that, no issues.

-K

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You'll get used to it. I've also done the fan dial a couple times, lol.

Matty Moo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't mind it . It took awhile to get used to.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
The only irritating thing is the auto-park “feature”...