Rotary Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
answered by another guy, but it's annoying for sure.

If you have four wheel drive, you can put it in neutral via the transfer case but it’s interesting that you say it’s annoying.... are you finding numerous reasons to put your truck in neutral?? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've really gotten to like it. It's an electrically controlled transmission and all it needs is a switch to operate it. Why not a rotary switch? The only beef I have with the tranny is if I want to back up and I feel the need to crack the driver's door to look at the ground behind me as I back, the truck won't move. Does anyone know if this is a Federally mandated thing? Can it be overridden?

No on the federally mandated part but yes on overriding it. Put your seatbelt on either over you or behind you, hold constant pressure on the brake pedal enough to at least illuminate the brake lights or you can put a short seatbelt extender in your buckle; then you won’t even have to mess with either of the first two workaround’s.

But since Chrysler’s already been sued for a probably very large undisclosed amount of money for an incident, it’s merely there to help protect against you suing them if you happen to fall out and run yourself over.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rotary shifter is best thing since sliced bread. Very easy to use gets rid of a gear shifter lever on the steering column and if you have a center console there's way more room for other things than a gearshift stick in the way. Love the rotary shifter and am now on my third Ram with this type shifter!

Rew001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thinking about buying a 1500 Classic. Love everything about the truck--except the rotary shifter. Drove me crazy on the test drive.

Did it bother anyone else when you bought yours? How do you feel about it now?

If I’ve learned anything during my time on the rock we call Earth, it’s to not sweat the small stuff. It’s a great truck, just enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd still rather the shifter in the center console!

Yuck. Column shifter any day of the week over that silly thing. I know, to each is own but if I was looking at an older truck that had one of them goofy things in it, I’d quickly be reevaluating whether or not I wanted that truck and if I did, I’d sure be looking into taking that stupid thing out of out the console straight into the trashcan and looking at converting it to a column shifter.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I live in Owosso, Mi., which is in between Flint &
Ram Year
1985 Ramcharger Royal SE
Engine
small block wedge 360-4bbl
I've owned my '14 Ram 5.7, 8 speed auto, 3.21 Anti-Spin axle, crew cab, 4x4, med. box for several years now & I HATE that goofy rotary shifter !! When backing up, I'm always going past " R " & going into " P ", starting from " D " & going past " N ". Heaven help me if I ever get stuck & have to " rock " the truck between " R " & " D ", I really don't see that as being very easy to do, at least with this type shifter !! I find myself STILL reaching for the column shift as IS in my '71 Challenger convt. or WAS in my '85 Ramchugger. Put me down for wanting the " old skool " gear selector, even the old lever-type " Load-Flite " dash shifter that was in the 50's & early '60's trucks would be an improvement, IMHO.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned my '14 Ram 5.7, 8 speed auto, 3.21 Anti-Spin axle, crew cab, 4x4, med. box for several years now & I HATE that goofy rotary shifter !! When backing up, I'm always going past " R " & going into " P ", starting from " D " & going past " N ". Heaven help me if I ever get stuck & have to " rock " the truck between " R " & " D ", I really don't see that as being very easy to do, at least with this type shifter !! I find myself STILL reaching for the column shift as IS in my '71 Challenger convt. or WAS in my '85 Ramchugger. Put me down for wanting the " old skool " gear selector, even the old lever-type " Load-Flite " dash shifter that was in the 50's & early '60's trucks would be an improvement, IMHO.

LOL, I realize everybody is different and not the same but I really don’t know what to say that wouldn’t **** you off when I say that it’s really not that hard to get used to that rotary shifter… of course, I haven’t yet gotten my truck in a situation to where I would have to rock it back-and-forth if I got it stuck but since I guess because I’ve adapted so well to my rotary shifter- even considering that all I’ve ever had since then was either a five speed stick, column shifter or console shifter (in a damn car...), I was used to mine within the first several weeks of owning it. I’ve never mistaken my volume knob or my fan knob for the shifter knob and I very rarely ever go past whatever gear selection I’m aiming for. All I can say at this point is if you hate it that much, get rid of the truck and go get something else or try a little harder to get used to it… you just have to want it… LOL.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Please don't misunderstand, I don't dislike the having the shifter on the dash, I just wish the knob wasn't round. If the knob absolutely must be round, then it should be located at least three miles away from all the other round knobs on the dash! :p

Wouldn't that make it hard to reach?[/QUOTE]
In my previous post I showed my knob from Amazon that is gear ⛮ shaped. You know instantly if you grab it.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Was a little odd for the first few days, but now I do not even think about it. Love having all that space in my console where the shifter used to be! Now, when I get in my wife's suv, I reach for the shifter knob instead of the gear shift. Not bad at all.

Although I will say that trying to get it into neutral when the truck is not running is a pain in the rear. No idea why this is such a hassle, but read your manual on how to do it BEFORE you get into a situation where you need to push the truck, etc. without it running.

I wish I had got a manual with my truck. I have one coming that I found on FleBay

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had the dial for the first time on my 2017 Laramie and did not like it all. In a 2018 Tradesman now and back to normal.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm obviously the outlier here, but I can't stand it! Oddly enough, it didn't bother me during the test drive. But once I got the truck home and started driving it daily, I began to hate it ... and I still do after 2 1/2 years. With the AC and radio controls positioned nearby, there are just too many round knobs too close together for my liking. Instead of shifting into Drive, I've blasted myself with cold air. Instead of shifting into Park or Reverse, I've turned the radio down. I've never once done that in the previous 35 years that I've owned GMC, Ford, and Ram pickups equipped with column shifters.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't dislike the having the shifter on the dash, I just wish the knob wasn't round. If the knob absolutely must be round, then it should be located at least three miles away from all the other round knobs on the dash! :p
Sounds to me like you need to pay more attention to what your doing! After 2 1/2 years and you still don't know where the shift knob is compared to the radio and AC knob makes me wonder how you drive down the road.

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
The next gen (2021) F150 I guess still has a console shifter. But I thought I read it can stow or fold up or some crazy thing. I'll have to try and find out more. Detroit Free Press says Ford is still planning on a fall release even with all of the lost time with Covid-19.

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking about buying a 1500 Classic. Love everything about the truck--except the rotary shifter. Drove me crazy on the test drive.

Did it bother anyone else when you bought yours? How do you feel about it now?

It took all of a day maybe, ow when I drive the wife’s car I reach for the rotary dial. I like that it gives more console space.

Usmc341

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm more annoyed with the rotary on the new GT500. That car needs a shifter. On a truck, eh not so much. Takes up less room in cabin. I'm fine with it.